PDA

View Full Version : Munchkin straw cups

slecompte
02-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Do you have them? Do you like them? Do they leak? I have some of the regular munchkin ones and they leak, I hate them. But I am trying to get away from the regular sippy and go to a straw and regular cup. But I don't want to buy more Munchkin ones if they leak.

Thanks!

Sheila

Momof3Labs
02-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Try the Playtex straw cups with the flip tops.

zuzu
02-04-2005, 02:45 PM
We have some, and I don't think they leak, but we don't use them much because it's really hard for Sarah to suck the liquid through the straw. Maybe we got a defective two-pack, but ours are both hard to use. We love the Playtex ones Lori suggested, so you may want to try those.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

brubeck
02-04-2005, 06:35 PM
I find that the Playtex ones will have liquid creep up the straw and seep out. So if the child leaves the cup (even nearly empty) lying around you will get a pudddle.

I like the Munchkin ones a lot. My only problem was finding cups for my son that did NOT have SpongeBob on them (yuck).

For the PP: if the liquid is not coming out, grasp the joint of the rubbery part (where the rubber straw connects with the hard plastic straw) and squeeze hard. Do it in the other (perpendicular) direction as well. Sometimes with the new cups the joints stick together. I have had this happen occasionally after a very hot dishwasher cycle too.

August Mom
02-04-2005, 06:55 PM
That's my problem. I can't find the Munchkin cups without Sponge Bob. Where did you find them?

We generally use the Playtex cups. They work fairly well, but they will leak if left on their sides and, occasionally, DS will close the cup when there is still liquid in the straw. Then it will leak and spray when the lid is opened again. We also tried the Nuby straw cups based upon recommendations on this board. They are pretty nice, although they are more bulbous in shape and don't fit into cup holders as well.

hellosmiletoday
02-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Costco had four packs of Dora the explorer...purchased a package yesterday.

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04

egoldber
02-05-2005, 11:16 AM
They have the Dora cups at Target too.

I like the Munchkin straw cup, but it is bigger and much heavier than the Playtex cups, so I prefer the Playtex ones. I also like that the Playtex lids work on the smaller Playtex cups too. I use the 4 ounce Playtex cups with a straw lid to pack DD's milk for her lunch at preschool.

brubeck
02-05-2005, 01:53 PM
As far as I know they do not have insulated Munchkin cups without Dora or Spongebob on them. I don't mind DD having a Dora cup, but I don't want DS with Spongebob (and forgive me for being sexist, but I don't want him with Dora either).

I found these (non-insulated) online and have been very pleased. If you order a bunch and some straw replacements too then the shipping isn't so bad.

http://smiles-all-around.com/cgi-bin/v3/SLSstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=M47801

It's kind of a Mom & Pop organization. They will telephone you to ask about colors before they ship your order. I have a royal blue with yellow that is nice, and a water blue with clear green that matches last year's Hanna striped romper PERFECTLY.

HTH!

squimp
02-05-2005, 06:17 PM
We have the Munchkin and the Playtex straw cups. I find the Munchkin ones have a tighter lid (double threading), but weird things happen with pressure inside the cup and they often drip (because they don't have a vent?). And the lid sometimes fills with water for some reason, and spills out, making a mess. The Munchkins are a pain to put back together. I can't do it - have to get DH!

So I recently stocked up on the Playtex ones. Even though the lids don't seem as secure, they have never come loose, even when DD throws hers on the floor ;).

zuzu
02-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the tip, Helen. Though I'm embarassed to say, I had my straw cups confused. We do have one Munchkin cup (green and purple--no characters) and it works well. The ones that are harder for Sarah to use are Nuby brand. I'll try the same trick on those though.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

twofallbabies
02-07-2005, 02:37 PM
I have a bunch of these for my 6yr old to use when we go out (Lucas can sip out of the straws just fine as well), and they work wonderfully. I've never had a leak before. I tried the Playtex ones before these, and they were terrible, they leaked all over the place, and I couldn't get the straws totally clean.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/twofallbabies2/Stuff/3528247801.jpg

Jessica, sewing, strollering, candle-loving mama in MD to
Dillon 9/98 & Lucas 10/02

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif
27+ months

twofallbabies
02-07-2005, 02:40 PM
I bought a bunch of the plain colored ones in the pic I posted below at both Walmart and BuyBuyBaby.

27+ months

slecompte
02-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Yep, I love these, they work great. Crazy thing is, they are Munchkin too, so I don't know why the Dora one I had leaked all over. I did break down and buy one (not in the 4 pack set that I got, but individually) to see if maybe it was ok because DD loved the Dora cup so much. If not, I will just get a few more of these.

I tested this kinda, helped it upside down, nothing came out. Did the same thing to the other Dora one and it leaked like crazy. So we will see tonight!

Sheila

twofallbabies
02-07-2005, 04:32 PM
It's weird how subjective they seem to be. When my older DS was a little guy, nobody was using the Playtex cups, b/c they were leaky. I had them and they were the only thing that DIDN'T leak for me! Now my younger one usese the same kind his "big bubby" did. I actually just got rid of all the 6oz we had, and replaced them with the new insulated ones in the 9oz size. And they're great!

27+ months

emschwar
10-08-2006, 08:53 PM
bump!

We have 5 of the munchkin straw cups (1 dora, 4 diego) and they leak constantly! Drives me nuts! They don't leak out the straw, which is nice, but liquid is alway dripping out between the lid and the cup. Anyone have any tips? I don't really want to replace all the cups with another brand, but I'm SO SICK of puddles of liquid everywhere.

katerinasmom
10-09-2006, 06:34 AM
We got a four pack of the Munchkin insulated straw cups at BJs for around $15 - no characters on them, just bright colors. I have never had any problems with them. No leaks, no straw problems. Nothing. We love them. But we bought them only after a friend came over and her daughter was using them. She loved them too. Maybe we both just got lucky.

kboyle
10-09-2006, 04:19 PM
yep, we use the munchkin ones too. we've got one spongebob (it's in the back of the cabinet and always the last to be used) and about 3-4 dora ones, from orange to yellow to a lovely purple & teal one ;) i don't care about ds using dora...really, who cares? actually the one orange one i have is dora & diego and it's a pirate treasure map theme...we love that one!

the playtex, gerber and evenflo ones i have all leak, as does the two nuby trainer handled straw cups that i have...but we still use those too at the high chair.

oh, and the munchkin cups we have seem hard for me to suck thru, but even max hasn't had a problem since he was about 10mos.

icunurse
10-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Just a little safety warning from something I found a couple of days ago - take a close look at teh straws before using. I went to give DS a straw cup (with the soft straws) and the tips of the straw was bitten through in two places. All it would have taken was a tiny ug and a good size piece owould have broken off into his mouth. Hopefully he would have just spit it out, but you never know. I just bougt two of the Playtex "big kid cups" (Stage 4), so we'll see how those work.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

KrisM
10-09-2006, 09:35 PM
It was at least a year ago, but I saw some at Right Start. I don't see them online though. They had solid colors.

KrisM
10-09-2006, 09:42 PM
My favorites are by Luv N Care: http://www.luvncare.com/db_gifs/luv/832.gif. They don't leak. They don't let liquid creep up into the straw to leak later. We've used them for about 2 years and really like them.

kozachka
10-10-2006, 04:39 AM
We've had Munchkin non-insulated two-colour straw cups and they were OK. They did not leak unless DS was shaking a cup with straw out upside down but I think almost any cup would leak under these conditions. I did not like the smell/taste of a liquid after it's been in the cup for awhile. DS has had a metal bottle since last summer because of that.

We've bought our Munchkin straw cups from Right Start and Whole Foods.