PDA

View Full Version : Would I regret buying a Kettler without air tires?

Saartje
02-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Or would I regret not buying while there's a good deal to be had?

(One up on swap, & I'm looking ahead to Ishie's b-day, especially if there are no more coops likely.)

nak

kalebsmama
02-04-2005, 10:32 PM
We don't have the air tires and haven't missed them. DS rides on sidewalks, and our driveway is paved. I guess it would matter where you would be using it. It was in the 40's today (heat wave!) and DS rode his down the block to play with his friend. He has trouble were there is still snow/slush on the sidewalk so I have to give him a push there.

kaitlinsmommy
02-04-2005, 11:28 PM
We don't have air tires & I don't really care. She mainly rides it on pavement.

Saartje
02-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Thanks, Jan and Kim. (Other opinions still welcome, of course.)

Does anyone know how much it matters if the seat is adjustable or not? I'm assuming that means adjustable as the child grows; if it's not, does that limit the usability of the tricycle over time?

darby24
02-05-2005, 01:34 AM
The seat moving was one thing I was mulling over for my nephew. I ended up with the Jumbo because of the big seat and just forgetting the seat movement. I had a chance to check out a Navigator and Jumbo in person before buying and there honestly wasn't that much seat movement.

The four positions under the seat were quite close together, perhaps over an inch difference from the 1st to the 4th notch. This is from memory though, maybe someone with a Happy/Navigator would be more able to help.

Price was my deciding factor on the air tires. I think it looks "cooler" but couldn't justify the price. He's just used it on the sidewalks and through some grass with no problems. I didn't have air tires on a trike and neither does the majority of the world's population.
My 2.5 year old (39") nephew fits just fine on his Jumbo with no problem. In fact he's on the shortest frame notch and still can move his feet on the floor. He's not peddling 100% of the time, pushing with feet to the floor just gets you around easier! The first notch makes it easier for him to keep his feet on the pedals therefore making it easier to use the pushbar.

Hope I've helped, I feel like I'm rambling here.

dowlinal
02-05-2005, 02:14 AM
I am waiting on a kettler navigator from the last coop that hopefully will be here by next weekend for Madeline's birthday but when I was ordering I decided against air tires because you can't add the tandem seat into a kettler that has them. Considering how expensive they are I wanted to have that option for when we have more children.

zen_bliss
02-05-2005, 03:51 AM
having the option for the tandem insert is nice. i thought it would be such a drag to have to worry about patching and pumping with air tires. the non-air tires are fine on sidewalk. i never gave it another thought.

if you are in a city that has listings on www.craigslist.org, take a look there. there have been several nice kettlers on CL los angeles recently for under $50. the jumbo was tempting -- that dump bucket is darn cute! or try eBay regional auctions. i picked our happy up after emailing an eBay 'local pickup only' completed auction that had received no bids.

egoldber
02-05-2005, 11:14 AM
I have a non-Air Happy and I really like it. I have never missed the air tires, but she rides on asphalt and pavement exclusively.

I personally consider the adjustable fram a must have. DD started using at around age 2 and we have been able to adjust it so that she can still comfortably use it at age 3 1/2.

I do kind of wish we had one with the dump truck feature now though. I may add a basket to the Happy, since DD likes to pick up sticks and rocks on her rides, and it would be nice to have a place them!

NEVE and TRISTAN
02-05-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm jsut curious does Debbie know...that seems so long long ago...

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (22 months) and baby girl Bronwyn on the way due March 19th!!!!

lfp2n
02-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Just to be air tire supporter...I'm really glad we have the Air Tires. We've had an Air Happy since the first coop so thats about a year, DD uses her trike everyday to ride to daycare and at the week end we go with it on walks on grass, mud, gravel anything on the trail etc and I think the hard tires wouldn't have held up so well or been so comfy.
We haven't had to do any maintenance on them, not ever pumped them up or fixed flats. I do think some adjustability is important we've moved the seat back, soon we might take the foot rest off and give the pedals a try.

So I guess it depends what kind of use it will have as to whether you need them.

Lucy

dowlinal
02-06-2005, 12:41 AM
I was going to e-mail you privately to answer but then I realized that it would leave other people thinking Debbie hadn't filled my order. I ordered a navigator and at the last minute Kettler told Debbie that they couldn't fill the order until Jan/Feb. She was really, really wonderful and offered me my choice of either 1) I could change my order to any bike including the new air ones coming out soon and have the bike by x-mas, 2) I could have a refund, or 3)I could wait. I really wanted the navigator so I decided to wait it out, especially since my plan was for it to be Madeline's big birthday gift and I won't be able to use it outside for a few months anyway.

I spoke with the store last week and Kettler was supposed to ship them the first week in Feb and Debbie was hoping she would have it to me by Friday.

A

Sandy
02-08-2005, 01:40 PM
We have the air jumbo and I am so glad we got it. We use it on the beach and off road and our neighbor has the non air tires and they wish they had gotten the air tires.

HTH,
Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02
and another peanut edd 4/21/05

NEVE and TRISTAN
02-09-2005, 06:36 AM
sounds like it worked out!!!!
she is a wonderful gal!!!

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (22 months) and baby girl Bronwyn on the way due March 19th!!!!