PDA

View Full Version : Kettler owners - dumb question about helmets

steph2003
02-07-2005, 10:56 AM
do you use one? and do they throw a fit at having to put something on their head?

My DS is getting his Kettler this weekend for his 1st birthday it just occured to me he should probably have a helmet on? but he is going through that "I want nothing on my head" phase - so does he really need one? and how to you get your DC to wear their helmet?

can I just buy a toddler helmet at Target in the bike section?

rrosen
02-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Steph,
We insisted that Gabrielle wear a helmet from her first time on the kettler. She too hates things on her head but, LOVES her trike. So, after an initial battle of wills, puts the helmet on willingly now. I figure a small battle early in the game is far better than a large on farther down the road. We bought the Bell helmet at REI. I got her sized there and then ordered the helmet for much less from the outlet store online.

egoldber
02-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Well, we were bad and did not make DD wear a helmet until she could pedal it by herself (without someone holding onto the pushbar). Then we took her to REI and got her a helmet. I have not looked at Target and have no idea what they have, and DH would only consider a helmet from a "good" store. Now wearing the helmet is a prerequisite for riding the bike. No helmet, no bike. They learn fast! :)

steph2003
02-07-2005, 11:50 AM
We don't have REI here. I wonder if ####'s Sporting Goods would have something versus Target? one more thing to check out!

Java
02-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Kael doesn't get to ride the Kettler without a helmet. I wanted him to get used to wearing it and also make it into a good habit. He never really made a fuss because the "ohh" and "ahh"-ness of the Kettler far far outweighed the "what the heck is this thing on my head" feeling.

We got the Bell helmet at a bike store.

cinrein
02-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Anna got one for her 1st birthday too, but we kept it in the house and pushed her around inside so we didn't make her wear a helmet. This spring summer the Kettler is going outside and she's wearing a helmet. We have a little board book with Big Bird riding a trike with a helmet on, which I always point out to her. Ever since she saw BB wearing a helmet, she's crazy for helmets!

No help on where to buy--ours is a hand me down from my bike-enthusiast brother.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

Vajrastorm
02-08-2005, 12:49 AM
Ok, it never even occurred to me to get a helmet! So no, we don't use a helmet. :P We're still in the pushbar phase.

Gosh, is a helmet important when riding a trike? *clueless*

jubilee
02-08-2005, 01:01 AM
My son happily wears his helmet- and hates hats. There was a thread in the past about ratings on helmets- from Consumer Reports?- that could guide you as the best one to get. Search the archives!

tigalig
02-08-2005, 09:49 AM
We bought our Bell helmets at the local bike shop where we purchased our bikes. Ever since our ds has been riding with us (first in the attached seat then in the trailer), we make him wear a helmet or he can't ride. The transition to the kettler with the helmet was easy and I'm not sure it's as much a safety concern (falling two feet onto solid concrete) or a good habit to form now. I know someone who never considered helmets until their child suffered an accident and then they purchased helmets only for the kids. Around here we all wear helmets if we want to ride our bikes.

Andrea S
02-08-2005, 10:46 AM
I have not made Andrew wear a helmet yet. We still push him around this summer he should start pedaling so I will get him one. The trauma center here sells helmets.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

toomanystrollers
02-08-2005, 08:59 PM
It's the law here in MA :) We have an assortment of helmuts and the Bell brand from Walmart fits as well as the Bike shop brands.

HTH

mharling
02-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Andrie -
I think the importance lies in children getting used to wearing a helmet from the beginning. We don't have a trike yet, but ds does wear a helmet in the bike trailer.

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little Miss - Due March 2!!

mharling
02-09-2005, 12:23 AM
> and then they purchased helmets only for the kids. Around here we all wear helmets if we want to ride our bikes.

One of my pet peeves is seeing kids with helmets and parents without (granted it is a notch better than noone wearing a helmet). I don't like the message it sends.

I was in a bad bike accident (on a trail, nonetheless) when I was 19 and got a concussion *with* a helmet. I shudder to think what could have happened otherwise.

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little Miss - Due March 2!!