PDA

View Full Version : Metal keys for Baby?

cara1
02-07-2005, 04:05 PM
We just got a gift for DD (4mos) of a keychain with metal keys. Also makes all kinds of (annoying) sounds. It's by Parents. Am I the only one squeamish to let her play with/mouth metal keys? I'm happy with my plastic cheapo ones...

Carolyn Michaels Mom
02-07-2005, 04:54 PM
well, as soon as DS figured out that our keys were not plastic, he was no longer happy with the plastic ones (with the exception of the Brilliant Basics, which make noises). He wanted ones that look like mine. We tried these from Parents, and they did indeed buy us a few months, but then he wanted my keys still. After one too many times trying to wrestle my own keys back so we could get in our van, my mom gave him a collection of used keys that he could have. He's been thrilled with those. Yes he does mouth them, but trust me, there are worse things your child is going to mouth in the next year. (Her own poop for example)

muskiesusan
02-07-2005, 06:39 PM
At my last ped appointment, the Dr mentioned she had read an article about lead poisoning in babies as a result of sucking on car keys. I don't normally let my kids suck on keys, so I didn't ask any for any details, but I think I will at my next appointment.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01/01
& Alex 04/27/04

amp
02-07-2005, 07:53 PM
We have those, but honestly, we did not even get them until he was about a year old or so. I would not have given him that set earlier, not only because of the metal, but because they are also very heavy. A 4 mth old has a good chance of bonking herself in the head with them. And, until she's a few months older, she won't even appreciate the noises the buttons make. I'd just hold them until later and let her have her plactic toys and teethers for now.

mom to little e
02-07-2005, 08:31 PM
We got these for DS when he was a year old. He did like them because the keys were metal but mostly he LOVED all the little buttons. He is now 15mos. and still likes to push the buttons (kind of like those buttons on those great remotes he loves! lol!)

I don't think there is any problem with your DD and the metal keys except for (as someone else already noted) she might bonk herself with the keychain part and it is kind of heavy. At her age, the plastic ones probably should be great with her.

Casey &
Ean (11/06/03) the little love of my life

Emmas Mom
02-07-2005, 11:15 PM
My DD & your DS are from the same mold! ;) We went through the exact same thing. She loved the Parents ones for awhile but I ended up making her a set of her very own used keys after a few months too. She now has her own real keys, wallet, cell phone & sunglasses...who needs to buy TOYS! You have to just love them though. :D