PDA

View Full Version : Toddler helmet questions

barbarhow
02-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Am in denieal of the blizzard we are having today and have decided to find a bike helmet for DS. I have read over the old posts including one that listed consumer reports info. In trying to purchase a bell boomerang I have become quite confused. They are listed as infant helmets but then say they will fit a toddler up to age 5. My DS has a fairly large head so of course I am concerned that this will end up being a "tiny" little helmet that won't fit.
Any input, advice experience appreciated. TIA.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

nwaddellr
02-10-2005, 10:32 AM
The helmets have different sized cushions in them to help adjust the fit from tiny to larger. Also, the straps have a wide adjustment ability again, to get it to fit from tiny to larger. That being said, fitting well at tiny is difficult because they have so little room betwen the top of their helmet, their ears and their jaw (you're supposed to have a little triangle of strap under the ear - ha!)

Karenn
02-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks for this post! You got me thinking about helmets and I ended up getting a great deal on a helmet because of that consumer reports thread! (The link Chrissyhowie posted for 50% off helmets still worked and is now at 65% off!)

About your question- I have no more experience than you, but I noticed that on REI's website they list the different head circumferences that the different helmets fit. That's what I went by in picking Colin's size. Hopefully it will fit- he has a big head too!

barbarhow
02-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Karen-Is the LOuis Garneau helmet rated? I love the price but am unsure of the brand. Thanks.

Karenn
02-10-2005, 10:29 PM
You know, I don't know if it's rated. Honestly, I was searching more for a "habit helmet" than a "safety helmet." Colin doesn't even have a real trike yet so he doesn't have much occasion to wear a helmet. He was asking for one to wear on his little plastic bike that you push with your feet after he saw an Elmo segment on bikes and helmets so I figured at $11, I'd buy him a helmet so that he could get used to wearing it while he was interested. Sorry! For once I didn't research a purchase to death! :)

barbarhow
02-11-2005, 05:34 AM
Isn't it funny how we do that? Your info on the sizing helped, though. Thanks.

toomanystrollers
02-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Karen & Barbara,
The LG helmets have the proper certs:

http://www.louisgarneau.com/eng/bike_helmets.asp

HTH