PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Vicks COOl Mist Humidifier

SunshineWedding
02-10-2005, 08:34 PM
My daughter has her first cold (13 months and counting so we're not ocmplaining!!!) DH ran out and bought the Vicks Cool Mist humidifier, cool mist was suggested by Ped. Well it makes lots of noise and the water level goes down but I don't feel the room getting "moist" and I am not able to feel any "mist" coming from the fan. Is it working properly? I've just spent the last hour researching old posts on humidifiers but nothing seemed to answer whether this is working correctly or not. Anybody own one? TIS

WooChx
02-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Personally, I hate all cool mist humidifiers. I know exactly what you are saying. The fans make too much noise, you can't feel anything buy dry air coming out, and it never seems to be moist. Additionally, our hard water turned the inside filter into a rock and the inner tube filled up with pick bacterial slime. I'm sure that did a lot for our health! I spent $50 on my last one and its a piece of junk.

I switched back to warm mist humidifiers. For me they are a far better choice. A warm mist of air comes out, you can feel the moisture in the air, and they are silent.

I bought 2 of the Holmes Warm Mist Humidifiers at Home Depot and they are worth every penny. I wish I hadn't invested a nickel in the cool mist ones.

As with any humidifier you need to make sure it stays clean and bacteria free. The warm mist has been 1,000 times easier to maintain than the cool mist.

Hopes this helps!

s7714
02-11-2005, 05:16 PM
The real question is does it seem your DD is breathing easier when you are running the unit? If yes, it's probably working...if not, maybe it's not producing enough moisture for the size of room you're using it in (or it's just not working period).

Being that there are a lot of Vicks cool mist humidifiers on the market, I don't know if we have the exact same one. Regardless though, I've had several cool mist humidifiers (not just Vicks), and none have ever produced a mist that you could feel or see. As far as feeling the room get "moist" you should get a hydrogmeter to truly see if there is a change occuring in the room's humidity. If a room actually feels moist it's probably far too humid to be healthy for anything but plants. ;) (You can find hydrogmeters at most hardware/home improvment stores for a couple bucks.) I usually run the Vicks CM unit I have on high for a few minutes and then switch it to low when it's time to go to sleep. Usually after about 10-15 mintues it seems like it's a little easier to "breathe" in the room, but it's definitely not a "moist" feeling.

HTH,
Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
#2 It's a girl! EDD: 6/05