PDA

View Full Version : Wooden/natural toy enthusiasts - if you had to choose your top 3...

chlobo
02-13-2005, 08:07 AM
What would they be and why? I really want to buy DD (whose 15 mo) just a couple more toys that will last a while, are durable, promote creative play, etc.....

brittone2
02-13-2005, 08:45 AM
The top 3 on my list for DS right now (almost 12 months) are:

Barclay unit blocks
A nice quality play kitchen (like the elves and angels kitchen or the willowtoys kitchen)
Playstands w/ canopies

Unfortunately, all 3 are quite expensive, but they will last for YEARS.
We don't have any of these items but we are getting ready to purchase some unit blocks and a kitchen. We'll probably buy playstands for his 2nd birthday.

The playstands are really versatile and could even "become" a kitchen with some imagination. Many kids use playstands for puppet theatres, use them to play "store," use them as a fort, a schoolhouse, a castle, etc.
I'm also after a learning tower; again, expensive, but it should last for years.

Less expensive items:
Play silks (we have a rainbow set from Juliet here on the boards www.bumbershootbaby.com)
A nice quality waldorf doll (one or two really nice dolls rather than a bunch of lesser quality ones)
Baskets of natural materials like shells, pinecones, etc.
A dollhouse or "Treehouse" style dollhouse

So that's my wishlist! A lot of these items are things we haven't bought yet but are hoping to in the near future.

holliam
02-13-2005, 12:08 PM
I think the Barclay blocks are definitely number 1 choice. We bought a large set, and we put most of it away and are planning on giving her a selection of new blocks at every birthday and Christmas for the next several years. The blocks get more sophisticated/complicated/large so I think this will be a great plan.

Holli

redhookmom
02-13-2005, 12:48 PM
OK, if there could only be 3 toys in the house. I am assuming that books and puzzles don't count!

Blocks
dolls
Balls - we have a nice cloth one from Rosie Hippo

And, if I could sneak in a few more.

playsilks
trucks
ride on toy
push or pull toy
play kitchen stuff

heytootsy
02-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Waldorf Doll