PDA

View Full Version : Melissa & Doug Wood Food?

jec2
02-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Does anybody know the sizes of those pieces?

I just got the Haba stuff I ordered from Maukilo and wow, it IS small. I really like it, but wondered whether the Melissa & Doug stuff is bigger sized. None of the websites that sell M&D give any information of the size of the individual pieces. Plus, the M&D stuff is a bit more affordable so my $$ can go quite a bit further.

LucyG
02-13-2005, 10:01 PM
We have the M&D dry goods crate. I just measured, and the smallest item (the jar of mustard) is 2" wide and 3" tall. All of the other pieces are larger than that, and I don't think any of them would be choking hazards. We have a small crate of wooden dairy products (not M&D but just like them), and the only piece that I would worry about for a toddler is the cream cheese. The others (cartons of milk and cream, cheese, etc.) are plenty big. I've seen the M&D food groups in stores, and the pieces seem to be of a safe size, IMO. I often see the set of food groups for 20% at online places. HTH!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
23 months and counting!

jec2
02-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks! I am not so much concerned with a choking hazard, but the realistic size of the pieces. The haba and some of the erzi pieces are just SO much smaller than their real-life counterparts. I am wondering if the M&D items are more realistically sized.

For example, the ketchup bottle is the size of an airline booze bottle! The milk carton is about the size of pack of gum! Just wondering if the M&D pieces are slightly bigger and more closely resemble real-life food sizes.

lfp2n
02-13-2005, 10:13 PM
I have the M and D vegetables, I think the tomato, cucumber, carrot, apple and whatever and the sliced bread are pretty much life size, sometimes I think they aren't very realistic (is that a green pepper in there) but DD doesn't mind and loves chopping them up.

Lucy DD 3/03

papal
02-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Juliet,
Sorry about the small sizie of the Haba stuff.. yikes! that IS small! I think I am going to hold off on ordering it... i really thought they were bigger than that. :(

heytootsy
02-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Haba is really small. I was also a bit shocked at how small they are. These are bigger and beautiful. They look like they could be in a bowl in the center of your table. http://www.novanatural.com/product.phtml?pr=3484&sec=113

jec2
02-13-2005, 11:21 PM
R, no worries at all! They are darling, and I know when we give them to finn, he will love them! I just thought that if I want to buy more & different things, I will look for things that are a little more life like :)

My favorite pieces I got are the Erzi fried egg! It's DARLING. Also love the tea bags! So cute :) I can't recall what else I got, but those two are my favorite.

jec2
02-13-2005, 11:23 PM
Oh, these are nice. Do you have them or have you seen them irl?

jec2
02-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks so much :)

ett
02-13-2005, 11:33 PM
Wow. That's pretty small. I knew the Haba pieces were small but not that small. That's also the reason I decided to hold off on getting the Haba food pieces for DS. The M & D items, although also listed for 3 and up, are definitely bigger and cheaper.

heytootsy
02-14-2005, 12:39 AM
I do not have them, but I have seen them. They are more like the size of M&D and really well made (and beautiful!) I wish there was a co-op for these.

brittone2
02-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Yeah, I'm bummed too about the size of the Haba food. Still nice, and eventually DS will love them I'm sure but I want to put them away for now. The prices were cheap though so I am still glad we got to buy them through the co op. The small pieces might be nice for when they are cooking up a "recipe" in their play kitchen...like making pretend soup or something and they want to stir up a bunch of stuff in a pot. A bunch of huge pieces might be too big, kwim?

I just picked up some of the M&D wooden cutting food for DS while I was waiting for the Haba stuff to come in and it is much closer to real life size of items. Not super detailed, and maybe a bit smaller than the "real life" counterpart, but most of the pieces even after they are "cut" seem to be large enough that they wouldn't pose a choking hazard. I like that they are interactive and DS can enjoy pretending to cut them.

I love the crate of food in the PP...that is gorgeous stuff. I might have to check that out eventually!

papal
02-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Oh Wow! Those are beautiful and they even have EGGPLANT!
I am going to call Tuesday and drop the word CO-OP and see what they have to say! :)

octmom
02-14-2005, 10:41 AM
I haven't seen the M&D IRL, but I did pick up a package of wooden fruits and a package of wooden veggies, both made by Battat, at TJ Maxx recently. I think they were about $10 for each set, and both had four items. Veggies; carrot, tomato, eggplant, and green bell pepper. Fruits: apple, pear, orange, and watermelon. These are in sections that stick together with velcro and each set comes with a wooden knife to cut them apart. I just opened the packages on Saturday and DS has had fun pulling the pieces apart, particularly the watermelon.

They are a pretty good size, so you might want to keep your eyes open at TJMaxx/ Marshall's. They often have Battat toys.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

jec2
02-14-2005, 11:22 AM
"The small pieces might be nice for when they are cooking up a "recipe" in their play kitchen...like making pretend soup or something and they want to stir up a bunch of stuff in a pot. A bunch
of huge pieces might be too big, kwim?"

That's a good point!

jec2
02-14-2005, 11:27 AM
:) love that word!