PDA

View Full Version : Gymini: Noah's Ark vs. Lights and Music

morgan47
02-14-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm shopping for a Gymini and am torn between the Noah's Ark and the Lights and Music. Is it worth it to get the Lights and Music one, which requires yet more batteries (I should buy stock in Duracell!), or is the Noah's Ark, without the music, entertaining enough? I actually light the looks of the Noah's Ark better because it seems more colorful, but it's not really for me to like (and I can't ask my 6-week old). Price isn't a huge factor because I can probably get either one for relatively cheap on eBay.

Saartje
02-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Ishie certainly found the Noah's Ark Gymini plenty entertaining, from around the age of your baby up through the early days of crawling. I haven't seen one of the lights and music ones in use, but I can't really imagine how it would work without being overwhelming to a small infant.

teddy
02-14-2005, 01:51 PM
I had the Noah's Ark one for my DD, now 2, and sold it. Then I got the Lights and Music one for my DS, 12 weeks, as a gift.

Honestly, both of my kids liked the one they had. DD didn't seem interested in the pattern on the mat, though. She just liked the hanging toys.

And my DS, when we do tummy time on his mat, doesn't seem to care for the pattern either. He also likes the hanging toys. I like having the music because we use the mat in the living room where we have no stereo or TV. So it's a nice accompaniment when I'm in there with DS. DS hasn't yet noticed the lights. Or he hasn't shown any interest in the lights. As far as batteries, I haven't changed them yet. I started using this mat about 4 weeks ago and it has the batteries from the manufacturer still in there. Granted, I don't use the mat everyday, but I don't think you could wear them out quickly. The music automatically shuts off anyway.

I don't think you can go wrong with either mat. The lights and music is a nice addition but not necessary.

cadawson
02-14-2005, 02:26 PM
My DD is now 5 1/2 months old. We bought the Lights & Music around 2 months, when she was starting to reach out to objects. She has thoroughly enjoyed it. I chose it over Noah's Ark because I think it had more hanging toys. (She likes every one of the toys.) Also, the music is the best that I have heard for a child's toy. The other day, she had rolled over and turned the music switch on herself to the Mozart setting. She was laying her head down, listening. Thinking it was on by accident, I went over to switch it off. She looked at me, then reached over and turned the music back on! It was one of the best toys we have purchased- definitely worth the extra $.

rrosen
02-14-2005, 04:23 PM
We had the lights and music one for my DD. I don't think it is necessary at all. Buy the foot chimes to hang on the gymini instead. My DD loved to kick her feet and hear the music. IMO there are too many noisy toys. The Gymini is a great toy that allows your baby to start exploring the world. There is enough time for flashing lights and electronic music later. I would have been just has happy with the simple version of this toy and kept the music in the off position almost all of the time.