PDA

View Full Version : How do you decide which wood toys to buy for your DC?

lmladuke
02-15-2005, 04:03 PM
I did not buy many wood toys for DS - we had blocks, wooden food, a wire toy and a few wood push cars. I just purchased a few wooden toys for DD through the Maukilo co-op. I got part of my order yesterday and they are so cute! So now I have been combing their site again and the Oompa Toys site and there are so many adorable toys, my wishlist is getting big!

I want to get a variety of toys for her - not a bunch that all do the same thing. Some of the soft toys seem really nice too. I would also like to get a few wood toys for my 3 1/2 year old DS also.

Can anyone advise me on what are some good ones for a 6 month old and 3 1/2 year old? Some seem rather basic, but do kids really like those? Also, how do you avoid getting a lot of similar toys?

My cc bill is going to be HUGE next month!!!

Lori

Mommy to Jonathan Matthew 7/27/01
and Katherine Olivia 7/28/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050728/2/13/3/-5/.png

brittone2
02-15-2005, 05:12 PM
I just wanted to make mention of something I try and remember...

part of the joy of wooden toys is their simplicity. Don't feel like you *need* to buy every cute one out there to "make up for" the lack of plastic. If you really want them, great...but I often find myself getting tempted to buy too much and at least for our family, that defeats the major purpose of simple/natural/wooden toys, kwim?

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is to buy things w/ lasting play value. Something like the Holztiger animals I could see being used by an 18 month old as well as a 5 or 6 year old. I don't have personal experience w/ this though ;)

I think for a baby a simple wooden rattle, a set of starter blocks, and a pull or push toy is nice. Play silks are great for peek a boo and later pretend play (and could therefore be used by both of your kids).

Just my thoughts :)

ETA: a felted wool ball is supposed to be nice for a baby around your little one's age. We don't have any but they look adorable. Some have little "jingle bells" inside.