PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Kettler trike--help!

lmintzer
02-18-2005, 08:22 PM
I may be the only one out there who is disappointed in my Kettler trike, but we really have been very unimpressed. We have a Kettler Jumbo (from a few years ago) that's gotten very light use. The problem we have with it is with the handlebars/steering. No matter what we do, the handle bars slip. Even in the locked position, it's easy to shift them from side to side. And unlocked, well forget about it. Jack has no problem riding all kinds of cheap trikes and big wheels at school. He can barely ride his own Kettler because of the crummy handle bars. Aside from slipping (even my dad the engineer has tried unsuccesfully to tighten the bolt), the design is bad. The handle bars are attached to the front wheels, so the whole front of the trike turns together (as opposed to being able to turn separately and make finer movements, if you know what I mean).

Of course, I can't change the design, but I really want a new trike for what this one cost. My dad bought it for Jack for one of his birthdays from an Imaginarium store (now out of business?). I'm sure he did not save the box or receipt.

Do you think I could get any help directly from Kettler? Of course, since it's not new and I don't have a receipt, I'm at a distinct disadvantage.

Any ideas or experience dealing directly with Kettler?

chrissyhowie
02-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Lisa,

I would definitely contact Kettler directly. We had a problem with our Navigator seat belt attachment bolt. They sent me the proper bolt right away with no questions asked. They did not require a receipt or ask where it was purchased. I spoke to a real live person right off the bat, which is so unusual these days! It sounds like you might have gotten a lemon :(, so hopefully they will take care of it.
Here's the number from their website: http://www.kettlerusa.com/
757-427-2400

Best of luck!

Tondi G
02-20-2005, 12:00 AM
we had some problems with our Jumbo handlebars as well. I never did contact Kettler directly but my DH managed to get them tightened somehow! My gripe is with the parent push bar. The black plastic housing where it attaches to the trike split at the seam. DS is fine riding his trike now... we don't even use the pushbar anymore but I figured that we'd be able to use the feature with our next kiddo... bummer! Maybe I'll try to put a call into Kettler directly..... I contacted Traveling Tikes where we purchased it, via email, and never got a response back from them (which is disappointing too cause I like the store... I was surprised with the lack of response!).

Good luck with Kettler.... I would think they could help you get it figured out!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
and lil man #2 edd 5/5/05

lmintzer
02-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks to both of you. I'll let you know what they say/do.

ethansmom
02-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Please do let us know what they say! I'm afraid we have the same problem but due to the snow, I'm putting it off until spring. ;-)

lmintzer
02-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Tondi and Ethansmom,

I called Kettler and found them very helpful. I described my problem, and they offered to send me another bolt (or whatever that piece is called) and a new instruction manual. The person I spoke to was pretty sure the part was just stripped and that I'd be able to tighten the handle bars with a new piece.

I'll post again and let you know if it works.

Good luck fixing your Kettlers. These things cost a ton--they should stay in good working order, or what's the point, right?

corrie23
02-25-2005, 02:53 AM
I should call them again. Our handlebars do a total 360 when "locked" which means they'd be a disaster if DD was actually trying to steer. I called about it back in the fall, and the person I spoke with said the bolt just loosens over time and I should tighten it (not very safe IMO) but of course, I can't find that little weird wrench that came with the bike so that I can tighten it.

Every time DD gets on her Kettler (it's parked in the living room), she lifts up theat casing thing where the handlebars meet the body of the bike, points and says, "fix." I suppose it's no good when DD's primary association with the Kettler is that it's broken (sigh).

Maybe I'll get a more helpful person this time around.

-Corrie

houseof3boys
02-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks for posting this. I have been too lazy and too pregnant to deal with ours too and we have always had the same exact problem with our Air Jumbo.

I am going to have DH call Kettler so we can get it fixed too. Spring is right around the corner and it is such a nice trike, it's a shame not to take advantage of it every beautiful day you can to get your moneys worth!!!

I hope yours works better now....let us know. :)