PDA

View Full Version : Question for Canon A95 owners

lablover
02-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Expanding on the other threads, I have a further question about this digital camera. I have researched cameras high and low for weeks and end up getting dizzy from all of the information. I bought a Sony W-1 a couple of weeks ago and ended up returning it; loved the speed and the size, but I couldn't count on getting a nice sharp picture (half were awesome, the other were slightly blurry). All my indoor shots were coming out dark also. So I think I'm going to try my second choice, the A95. My one concern is that the various review websites note a problem with "purple fringing" at times. Do any of you notice this in your pictures, and if so does it happen often? I also read that the camera is a bit slower than the Sony, but the camera I'm using now is a 4 yr old Sony, so I'm assuming I will notice a great improvement in speed over that, even if it's not the fastest camera out there now.

lmladuke
02-18-2005, 09:37 PM
I have an A95 and love it. I have never noticed any fringing - but I am a pretty novice digital camera user! It is a little slow, but not awful. I think its a great camera and takes some really wonderful photos!

Lori

Mommy to Jonathan Matthew 7/27/01
and Katherine Olivia 7/28/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050728/2/13/3/-5/.png

toomanystrollers
02-19-2005, 06:51 AM
I'll chime in for the Canon A85 - about $100 cheaper than the 95 :) No fringing problems & great pics! I'm very pleased with it. I figured 4 mp was all I needed. I won't be making poster size prints :)

HTH

lmladuke
02-19-2005, 07:25 AM
I originally had the A85 and exchanged it for the A95 because I liked the 5MP and the fact that the LCD screen folds back inside the camera. However, that being said, If you look at the pictures taken with the A85 and the A95 you really cannot tell the difference. So I will agree with Pam in that if you want to save some $$ and aren't as fixed on the 5 MP the A85 is a great choice

Lori

iujen94
02-20-2005, 12:52 PM
I also have the A95 (I actually started a link on digital cameras when I was hunting and ended up updating it after I bought the A95 - I think the thread was in this forum). I must have read the same reviews that you did before I bought it because I also saw the review comments on the purple fringing. I've had my A95 for about 6 or 7 months now and have never had any problems.

Also, you can make the A95 SUPER fast if you set it on the "Kids and Pets" setting in the "Scenes" function on the picture-taking mode dial. I haven't notice any decline in picture taking quality and it's lightning fast. Also, the A95 is great in relatively low-light, so you can leave the flash off which makes it even faster. FYI, I also bought a W1 before the A95 and returned it too -- I liked it except that DS looked green in all my pictures!

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

lmladuke
02-20-2005, 05:34 PM
thanks for the tip on the kids and pets setting. I have not ventured much beyond "auto". I'll have to check it out.

Lori