PDA

View Full Version : Books for Kids re: Starting Kindergarten/School

zuzu
02-23-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm looking for a book for a five year old who will be starting kindergarten this fall. He has been in preschool part-time, so the concept of school won't be completely foreign to him, but I was going to try and find a book on starting school anyway.

Additionally, if anyone can recommend any other books for a five year old boy, (I know he loves trains and sports) I'd appreciate your suggestions. I don't think I've ever shopped for books for children in this age range, so I'm not sure which authors or types of stories are best or are more likely to hold their interest. I'll check out a bookstore later in the week, but thought I'd ask here first.

TIA,
Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

August Mom
02-23-2005, 04:19 PM
The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn is a beautiful story. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=N9t1WyFAS7&isbn=0878685855&itm=1

macassi
02-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph Slate is a good one.

As for five year old boys, there are a huge range of books that will hold their interest. My six year old only brings home non-fiction books from the library and loves learning about weather, animals, space, etc. He loves some of the books from the Magic School Bus series which teach about non-fiction concepts.

For traditional picture fiction books, I love the David Shannon books. He has a relatively new one, How I Became a Pirate, which was a big hit at preschool for my 4 year old's class. My four year old loved his book Duck on a Bike.

You could also do a "theme" of books. We just read the "True Story of the Three Little Pigs" which tells the story of the three little pigs from the point of view of the wolf. It's hilarious. At a first grade book group this morning, I read it with "The Three Pigs" by Wiesner which has the pigs leave the book. You could add in a traditional little pigs book and give an exposure to different ways to tell the same story.

I'd ask your children's librarian for suggestions as well. They are a wealth of knowledge.

zuzu
02-24-2005, 05:35 AM
This does look lovely.
Thanks!

zuzu
02-24-2005, 05:41 AM
I'll look for the Slate book, thanks!

Thanks, also, for all the other ideas. I know it varies from child to child, but I wasn't sure what types/level of books would be good for five year olds. I really like the theme idea and will keep that in mind for some other birthdays we have coming up this spring. The "True Story of the Three Little Pigs" sounds like a hoot!

macassi
02-24-2005, 02:22 PM
It is hilarious! The premise is that the wolf had a bad sneezing cold and went to his neighbors house to borrow a cup of sugar (the wolf was baking a birthday cake for his dear old granny) and the not so bright neighbor-pig had built his house of straw. When the wolf sneezed, the house blew down and the pig ended up dead, so the wolf had no choice but to eat him. Lots of adult humor, but the kids love the pictures.

g-mama
02-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Ds' preschool teacher read this the first week of school and I thought it was so sweet. I recommend it, too.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

jk3
02-25-2005, 07:17 AM
Stephanie's Ponytail + anything else by Robert Munsch. School-aged children LOVE these books and many of them take place in school.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

zuzu
02-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Too funny! I'll see if our library has it.

zuzu
02-25-2005, 08:48 AM
I'll the Munsch books to my list to check out tonight.

Thanks!

cchavez
02-25-2005, 08:52 AM
The whole Froggy series would probably be appropriate for a 5 y.o. We read them ALOT in the Pre-K classroom and they were a big hit. The ones that I know of are: "Froggy Goes to School," "Froggy Gets Kissed," "Froggy Gets Dressed" and "Froggy Learns to Swim." They come in Spanish too. I just bought DS "Froggy se Viste." I know he is still too young for it but I always love adding to our library. hth

August Mom
02-25-2005, 09:41 AM
DS likes Froggy Gets Dressed, Froggy Bakes a Cake, Froggy's Day with Dad (golf theme) and Froggy Plays Soccer.

I would think that Curious George would be good for this age as well.

Mikesa3
02-25-2005, 09:48 AM
My ds' preschool teacher did too. She also had papers matching the book for him to do.One that he put his handprint on.It was cute.I still need to buy the book.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

shishamo
02-26-2005, 12:26 AM
We have a book called "how things work" (or something like that) and it's probably my 5 year old's favorite book. It explains how things work - elevator, etc.
He also likes Magic School Bus series.
Other than that...kids this age are starting to be into jokes (knock knock jokes, for example) and he loves reading them.
We also love James Marshall books (the stupids series, fox series, three by the sea, etc., etc.). It's funny and just right for 5-7 year olds.