PDA

View Full Version : Toy ideas for DS turning two

cchavez
02-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Diego's 2nd birthday is in a few months and I am trying to figure out what type of gifts would be best for him. Last year was so easy b/c we got him the Kettler.

I have been considering a sandbox or table but our nearby park has a huge volleyball pit that all the kids use as a giant sandbox so I might see how he does w/ that before I make the purchase.

The other idea is a train table. We were thinking about getting him the PB train table. Right now he is using our old coffee table as his train table. However, my neighbor is has two train tables...one is in current use and is a Thomas table and the other is brand new and from Target. I asked her if she was still selling it and she said you can have it. If I do decide to get it from her, then I will obviously give her some money....but it would still be a great deal and I wouldn't consider this our gift to Diego.

Right now for smaller gifts, I am considering:

Aquadoodle minimats....but he really isn't into coloring/drawing
More Sandra Boynton books....he LOVES BOOKS!! and already has tons
Melissa and Dough cutting food....he really is enjoying his berchet kitchen an and my mom and dad are getting him a toaster and coffee maker for his b-day which I am sure he will love
Trucks....he loves trucks and could add a few more to his collection

Larger gifts:
PB anywhere chair...so he can read his beloved books
small table and chairs so when he cooks in his "kitchen" he has a place to "eat"
sand table/box...see above???
train table...see above??

I was also thinking more Thomas trains and track but I think he has "enough" for now....

Any thoughts? suggestions? How about outdoor toys? He has a swing, a small slide, an easel, a kettler, and a small ride on toy. My friend is getting him a play grill.

In addition to loving books and trucks, he seems to really enjoy letter, shapes and the alphabet....he loves his alphabet pal by leapstart and already has the phonics magnets....

please help me out!

tia!

Mikesa3
02-24-2005, 11:53 PM
bumping this because I need ideas too.My ds will be 2 on Monday.I'm thinking of the Aquadoodle too if I can find it at ToysRUs. Haven't seen it anywhere since last Nov. Also thinking of Potty Training Elmo. I think a sandbox/table is always good.We still have the Turtle one from my oldest ds,who's almost 20.Kids love sand.I'm thinking about cards like the Einstein ones.My ds loved playing with a deck of card his older ds had and I'm guessing the Einstein ones would hold up better.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

redhookmom
02-25-2005, 12:25 AM
I would get one of those great wood trucks. Or maybe a crane.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22062.jpg

JLiebCamm
02-25-2005, 08:01 AM
Nathan is 26 months. His favorite Christmas presents were a big set of wooden blocks (he builds with them daily) and the Melissa and Doug Pizza set. He also likes PlayDoh alot but is very messy with it. He loves his Kettler although we haven't used it for months.

I think if I had to buy him a "big" gift I would go with a little table and chairs that he could sit at to color. I've also been considering a train table but might hold off on that until age three.

cchavez
02-25-2005, 08:54 AM
We have the potty training Elmo got it at Kohl's when it was on sale.....good deal. And DS LOVES his Baby Einstein Lang. Discovery Cards......

vpalmer
02-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Eva is turning 2 soon as well and I just came up with an idea for her gift. I am going to fill an African basket with toy musical instruments from all over the world. Here is a link to the post I just did on this subject: http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=30957&mode=full&page=

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

slknight
02-25-2005, 12:11 PM
We're in a similar boat. We got a Kettler last year too and already have a train table and a sand/water table. But we don't have a kitchen, so I think we're going to go with that (looks like you already have one).

I do like the idea of the small table and chairs. You could get a lot of use out of those in the future.

For smaller toys, how about some Holtztiger animals and some more kitchen accessories? DS LOVES the Melissa and Doug wooden cutting food. I had bought a set on sale last year at a local store, but had put it away for awhile. I brought it out last week when we were bored during a blizzard. It has been a big hit.

Also, what about some wooden puzzles? If he likes letters, Melissa and Doug makes a wooden puzzle of the alphabet. I have also been happy with the Small World Toys puzzles (posted about them on a different thread).

Jen841
02-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Due to my happy childhood memories I am sucker for F-P Little People. On rainy days and snow days we made cities in the LIVING ROOM! It was hours of entertainment. I have kept myself under control and so far we only have the farm and airport. I hope to buy him a new set for each occassion for a number of years. He just loves playing with both sets, and yes, chickens can fly a helicopter.

Jude does love his table and chairs, and his tent (acutally our camping tent.) Inside or outside a tent is fun. They have cute sets you can buy.

Jude also loves his rocking chair and will move it to the perfect place in the family room for what he wants to watch (deer, sun, moon, books, TV,...)

Gosh, I need to start a list for him!

jubilee
02-26-2005, 02:33 AM
I think I'm going with the table/chairs set and maybe an easel (I am mixed about this). I already see how into arts Logan is, so a place of his own to sit and color and do playdough would be great. I'd really like a train table too, but will probably wait for next Christmas.

jk3
02-26-2005, 08:29 AM
I like the idea of a table and chair set. We are running out of room. I'm really hoping the grandparents, aunts+ uncles consult with us this year because I want to limit the # of gifts...and the # of unneccessary/unwanted gifts!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

MelissaTC
02-26-2005, 10:35 AM
What about a wagon? DS got a wagon as his big gift and he just loves it. My parents bought him an easel and he loves that too.