PDA

View Full Version : What's your 10-12 month old "READING"?

aliceinwonderland
02-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Favorite books?? We have a ton, but they all seem too old for him. He loses interest.

MANY THANKS :)

JLiebCamm
02-24-2005, 04:45 PM
At that age for us, it was all about Sandra Boynton. There are not many sentences on a page so it moves fast, and the rhymes are very catchy. "Moo Baa La La La" and "The Going to Bed Book" were my favorites.

californiagirl
02-24-2005, 06:17 PM
Umm, I feel bad about how non-intellectual this is, but DD at almost 12 months could care less about literary value. Even Sandra Boynton doesn't really do it for her. She wants to turn pages, play with objects and possibly look at photographs of babies. You can forget "Goodnight Moon", or any of the classics. She loves anything in the "Animal Kisses" series (Peekaboo Kisses is still her favorite), "Yellow Fuzzy Duckling", something I got cheap called "My Sparkle Number Book", and "Goodnight Sweet Butterflies". Plus, as I said, pretty much anything with photographs of babies. And "My Big Rescue Book" (she loves turning the pages in it). Sometimes we read Dr. Seuss or Sandra Boynton to her, but her heart's not in it; she just wants you to turn the pages, already. She does a bit better with really rhythmic poetry, but even so that goes best with no book distracting her.

August Mom
02-24-2005, 07:11 PM
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Eric Carle

Karen Katz lift-the-flap books (especially Where Is Baby's Mommy? and Where Is Baby's Belly Button?)

And, around 12 months+ DS loved the Little People Farm lift-the-flap book.

Maisy books are also a good choice.

eb1
02-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Mine is obsessed with board books of any variety, but particularly those with flaps, touch/feel textures, mirrors, sliding parts. He plays with his books more than with his toys, honestly, so I don't know whether I have a literary genius in the house or our toy selection is just really bad. I allow him to completely maul the board books (I figure that's early literacy at its best) and leave them accessible and down on his level at all times, while I store the more delicate hardcover/picture books out of reach.

He likes some of Sandra Boynton's books, but not all. He LOVES "Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?" (not as interested in "Brown Bear, Brown Bear," but used to be), "Dear Zoo" (flap book), Maisy books, soft shapes books (foam books with simple pieces that pop out like a puzzle).

ethansmom
02-24-2005, 08:42 PM
At that age, anything by Sandra Boynton. The Going to Bed Book was a fave for a LONG time. He'd even "read" out loud to himself! Books were his fav toy! BTW, if you don't already have her, check out overstocks.com for her 2 "best of" collections. You can also usually find her at Marshall's/TJMaxx.

Hmm...he also liked Mr. Brown Can Moo by Dr. Suess. I don't think he really got into the Karen Katz until several months later.

We got some stupid baby book that was mainly pics of babes, and he really liked looking at them....still does.

Really, I would just buy the books you won't mind reading to him over and over and over!

DDowning
02-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Carson is a big fan of the "Classic board books with Holes" series. His favorite by far is "Down by the Station" that he received as a 1st birthday gift. I'll sing the story and ask him to show me the train, bus, etc. He never gets tired of it.

lmintzer
02-24-2005, 11:31 PM
Joshua is 15 months, but a "young" 15, if you know what I mean. He's not walking, not talking, etc.

At any rate, he likes the Touch and Feel board books. And Good Night Moon which we read every night before bed. Anything else, he quickly tosses aside.

Don't worry--Erik will grow into books. Just keep exposing him, even if it means reading 1-2 pages or just letting him play with them and flip pages.

kristenk
02-24-2005, 11:41 PM
DD's favorite books then (and now) would have to be Baby Boo, How Kind, and Moo Baa La La La. I highly recommend all of them! (And I think I heard about all of them on this board!) Oh, and when I first got Baby Boo, I was sort of wondering what the other poster's child saw in it b/c DD couldn't care less. After a couple of days, it became her absolute favorite and she'd chuckle at some of the pages. It was worth buying the book just to hear her chuckle at it!

dowlinal
02-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Just recently Madeline has started liking the Katz lift the flap books. Her favorite books have been the ones from the amazing baby series -especially baby boo, twinkle, twinkle, baby's day, and squeak sueak. The series has close ups of baby faces, lots of bright colors and patterns, alot of different textures, and short rhythemic text so she doesn't get bored. She also adores Tails but the book has not held up well because she likes to grab the tails. I think it's better for an older baby because its not a board book.

KrisM
02-25-2005, 12:12 AM
His favorite is "Is Your Mama a LLama?" by Deborah Guarino. It's a bit long, but he listens to the whole thing. The Boynton books are okay, but he likes to turn their pages more than listen.

jmct
02-25-2005, 01:05 AM
Our current favorites are Drummer Hoff and Sheep in a Jeep/Sheep in a Shop.

ellies mom
02-25-2005, 02:43 AM
DD loves Baby Boo. She'll laugh if I just recite the book, and believe me I can recite it. I think the baby on the "Do you want to play" page looks like Pres Bush. As for other books DD liked at that age. There is a series called Bright Baby by Priddy Books; we have "Colors", First Words" and "Animals". DD really likes them. They have another one called "Trucks" but we haven't been able to find it IRL. She also likes Priddy Books "My Little Word Book" (although it isn't very little) and their "Baby Animals" touch and feel book. She also likes Baby Einstens Mini book called "Babies", although the corners are a bit mangled. She had another book she loved (ie. ate) to death called "Baby Faces" I think they call that whole eating books thing pre-pre-literacy. They outgrow it.

August Mom
02-25-2005, 08:05 AM
Great suggestion! DS loved the Down by the Station book with holes too. We have a giant board book version. DS would get DH and I to sing different verses and then all together. He had such fun and loved the holes and pointing to the diiferent sounds that vehicles make.

Another book that I thought of (and can't believe I forgot) is My First ABC Book by DK Publishing. DS loved this book forever (once he could point) and still likes to look at it. There are lots of things to identify in there.

brittone2
02-25-2005, 08:20 AM
Boynton, lift the flap books, and starting around 11 months he became very interested in touch and feel kinds of books. The interactive aspect of those might help :) They are just busy...keep reading even if your little one is moving around the room. Some of it is probably still sinking in :)

vdrake71
02-25-2005, 01:32 PM
My son also loves Mr. Brown Can Moo. He also loves the Ladybug book. At 13 months he can go over to his book shelf and pick that book.

amp
02-25-2005, 03:04 PM
I found that DS didnt' really get too terribly interested in books until he was past around a year old. He would look at them, but lost interest quickly. Once he got interested, he liked mostly stuff with animals, particularly real life pics, rather than illustratins, but he also liked anything w/ flaps, which we affectionately refer to as "rip the flap books" around here. They eventually destroy them, but we've repaired many and he loves them! He also liked books at that age that had animals and stuff he could touch and feel.