PDA

View Full Version : Melissa and Doug play foods

barbarhow
02-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Anyone have these? Am hoping to get some play food for Jack's kitchen-it sounded like the Maukilo ones from the coop were too small. So now I am paranoid that anything I buy on line will be the wrong size.
Any suggestions of play foods and accessories would be appreciated. I have pots and pans and some utensils from Ikea but really would like foods, fruits, veggies, etc. What do you love? Would prefer wooden ones. TIA
http://www.gummylump.com/front/f_product.php?id=277
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/6/05!

vikivoly
02-25-2005, 05:21 PM
We don't have this set, but I've seen it at TRU. You might want to check your store so you can see it IRL. I thought the items were a good size for play food. The box was about the same size as the other M&D food (the sandwich kit & the velcro cutting set).

vpalmer
02-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Barbara,

I have some veggies from Haba and 2 Doug and Melissa food sets all of which she got for Christmas. While I love the Haba food and it is adorable, Eva prefers the Doug and Melissa food. The fruit and veggies are twice the size as the Haba food and pose no choking risk as most of the including fruits and veggies are things like oranges and tomatoes rather than thin pieces like the asparagus and scallion that we got from Haba. We have the four food group set and the picnic cutting set. Eva's favorite is the food she can cut. She loves it so much I am considering getting her the pizza and birthday cake for her birthday.

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

zen_bliss
02-26-2005, 05:19 AM
we have the M&D 'cutting food' set with fruits and veggies, and the 'food groups' set. the pieces are big enough to not worry about choking hazards, except maybe the carrot 'tip' for a wee one. if you are setting up a play store, the food groups set is great because it includes 4 little crates. i have seen the cutting food and pizza sets at marshall's/tjmaxx/ross for $14.99. kidsurplus.com also often has them. we got ours at right start during an in store unadvertised 40% off all toys sale (just pure luck to be at a mall that day). TRU usually has them too if you want to take a look at them IRL.

egoldber
02-26-2005, 07:22 AM
Michaels and AC Moore sometimes have them too, and you can use the 40% off coupons.

cchavez
02-26-2005, 01:01 PM
I know that Costplus carries a set (or two) of wood cutting food....I think it runs about 14.00 and includes an apron. Are they as nice quality at the M&D? We don't have any cutting food and and to get some for D's kitchen. I have seen each set IRL but it has been awhile.....I want to say the Costplus set is smaller? tia!

mykidzmom
02-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Veronica,
I just bought the pizza and cake set on ebay for $10.98 each. I thought that sounded like a good price...hope it is! It was the BIN price. Just thought I'd let you know! :)

NEVE and TRISTAN
02-26-2005, 09:33 PM
Barbara I have not read other responses so this might have been said...

but I think I have every m&D food made and our favorite is the pizza I would say...my velcro is coming off of many pieces though, but a poster recently said she has three kids go thru sets without any velcro coming off. I called M&D who has I think a lifetime warrantee and they were very nice but the guy said everyone was at a convention and I preferred to call back this week to discuss it with someone...

with all of that said one of the most wonderful morning I have ever had in my life was this morning when the boys brought down every single "food" in their toy room and "made" me breakfast, pouring me up milk, orange juice etc... for their M&D sets...that alone has me saying "go buy it!!!!!"....

Karsh cut the watermelon and bread with his knife and poured my drinks...Tristan handed Reichen the plates to put the pizza slices on and honestly the morning couldn't have been more perfect!!!!!

Now I love my food from the co-op...but it is out of reach of little hands for now...but I bought just about every piece of food they had and love them. But M&D is something that they can really carry around more and I think really use!!!!...though for the mommy fix and my obsession I love the co-op brands!!!!

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (22 months) and baby girl Bronwyn on the way due March 19th!!!!

barbarhow
02-27-2005, 09:05 AM
Melissa and Doug here we come. I see some major food groups in our future!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/6/05!

corrie23
02-27-2005, 03:33 PM
I'll add a quick note...DD's second birthday is today and her party was yesterday. She already had the M&D cutting food from Chanukah and played with it every day. Yesterday she received the M&D food groups, the sandwich making set, and the play foods from your link. She LOVES it all and has been cooking like a maniac since yesterday. She also received the Kidkraft kitchen, so she's been washing, baking, frying, and freezing all of her foods.

The only item I took away was the carrot from the cutting food set. I thought that the coin-shaped pieces were potential choking hazards. She has the Kidkraft blender though, and that came with velcro fruits/veggies including a carrot that has pieces I wasn't worried about.

I will also add that the M&D items do seem to chip/dent a little bit with use...not a big deal, but I imagine that after multiple kids, they will look worse for the wear. I don't know how Haba, Erzi, etc. foods fare with use by comparison.

The final consideration is that M&D items are made in China, and I remember someone saying once that the safety standards are not the same as US/Europe. I think they suggested that the paint may contain lead. I have literally no idea if this is true (they are made in China, I just don't know about the lead paint part) but I figured I'd pass that along.

-Corrie

ett
02-27-2005, 11:25 PM
>The final consideration is that M&D items are made in China,
>and I remember someone saying once that the safety standards
>are not the same as US/Europe. I think they suggested that the
>paint may contain lead. I have literally no idea if this is
>true (they are made in China, I just don't know about the lead
>paint part) but I figured I'd pass that along.
>

Isn't a large majority of toys sold in this country made in China? I thought toys that are sold in the US had to follow US's safety standards, no matter which country they're made in. With all the baby toys that are made in China and sold here, I can't imagine that the paint contains lead. JMHO as I haven't researched this.