PDA

View Full Version : Will I regret getting a train set, but no train table?

LucyG
02-25-2005, 11:51 PM
So, I had not planned to get much train stuff for DD for a while, but I came across a nice 100-piece Maxim set with track, trains, wooden storage box, and accessories for $70 at Tuesday Morning today. It does not come with a table, and I'm debating whether to go ahead and get it, or wait til later to get a table that comes with trains (maybe the Costco one at Christmas). The pro for getting the set now is that I could gauge her train interest, and not invest a bunch on a table if she doesn't really "take" to trains. She seems to enjoy the ones we have, but you never know. She has a wooden table and chair set, so could set up tracks on that. Or, she could use our coffee table (which is really a cedar chest). Is a train table really a "must" if you have trains, or are they just as easily enjoyed on other tables (or the floor)?

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
2 years and counting!

LucyG
02-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Bump.

I have the train set on hold until tonight. Any thoughts on train set alone v. train set with train table? Thanks!

2 years and counting!

mykidzmom
02-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Our train table has been a complete waste of money and space! In fact, it will be sold at our community garage sale. My son has a ton of Brio train stuff, and the Brio train table. He would much rather build a big train track all over the floor than on the table. The table has just been a storage table basically. I know that's not the case w/ everyone. See how she likes playing with the train set first. Then, decide on whether or not to buy the table.

Good Luck! :)

redhookmom
02-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Our train table sits in the basement covered in dust... The tracks and trains are upstairs. My ds did not like setting them up on the table. He used them much more when I put them in a basket and he was able to trave. We also have a piece of board under his bed to set them up on when he doesn'w want to take it apart.

nwaddellr
02-26-2005, 01:23 PM
We haven't bothered with a train table (and I don't feel the need to spend the $$ - we can use it to buy more train stuff instead!) We use our coffee table and a basket to hold the trains. There's less limitations to what you can build that way. That being said, some people like to build one big train track and glue it onto the table. We'd rather discover new and interesting tracks to make, and you don't need a train table for that!

August Mom
02-26-2005, 01:37 PM
We don't have a train table and it hasn't limited DS's interest in trains. He likes to make really large track configurations on the floor that wouldn't fit on a train table.

LucyG
02-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Thanks, everyone! I think I'm going to get the train set from Tuesday Morning, and hold off on a table. We really don't need to add any more furniture to our house right now, anyway!

2 years and counting!

R2sweetboys
02-26-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm going to go against popular opinion and say that we really like having a train table. Yes, it's one more piece of furniture that we don't need, but it keeps the tracks in one place and always set up. Our living room is carpeted(berber, so not really fluffy or anything) and the tracks just didn't stay together well at all. It was frustrating for DS. We've glued some of his tracks on the table which works out nice so they don't come apart all the time.
~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03