PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for Waldorf doll

ellies mom
03-01-2005, 02:39 AM
I'm interested in a Waldorf doll, especially with the possible co-op. Now I need to explain to DH why a $70-100 doll is worth it. Granted I could put together a kit, but let's at least try to sell the whole thing.

I told him that it is made of natural fibers. He told me that was a description and not a reason. As someone who sews and knits, personally that's a reason. Wouldn't natural fibers be warmer and nicer to cuddle? I told him that the simplicity of the facial features allows the child "decide" the expressions rather than the expressions being "imposed" on the doll. I don't think I worded that last bit right. I told him that it was a custom hand crafted doll, that we could "design" to reflect our DD. That it is a high quality doll that will last for years.

So, what other reasons should I give DH? Why a waldorf doll over say a cabbage patch doll? (Don't flay me, remember I'm looking for help here.) TIA

redhookmom
03-01-2005, 07:50 AM
A quote from http://www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com/waldorfplay.htm

"A doll which will be a lifelong friend and art supplies, which will
be used feed and nourish my child's inner life are items I feel are
very important to our curriculum, to our journey and to the fact
that I want to provide my children with the very best.
Quality and not quantity is the key. Many parents cannot justify
spending $100 on ONE doll because what it comes down to is that TEN
other dolls could be purchased for that price. I would sacrifice
dinner and a movie and buy the doll, no second thoughts. Many of us
are "trained" to see the child have SO MUCH that items do not all
get played with, and then to think to buy a $100 doll which you see
as being thrown into the toy bin with the other mountains of toys is
completely beyond the point.

A doll which will be a lifelong friend and art supplies, which will
be used feed and nourish my child's inner life are items I feel are
very important to our curriculum, to our journey and to the fact
that I want to provide my children with the very best.

Quality and not quantity is the key. Many parents cannot justify
spending $100 on ONE doll because what it comes down to is that TEN
other dolls could be purchased for that price. I would sacrifice
dinner and a movie and buy the doll, no second thoughts. Many of us
"trained" to see the child have SO MUCH that items do not all
get played with, and then to think to buy a $100 doll which you see
as being thrown into the toy bin with the other mountains of toys is
completely beyond the point."

HTH!!

brittone2
03-01-2005, 10:19 AM
I was going to link you to the site that Jessica posted from but she already did it :)

There's more here:
http://waldorfhomeschoolers.com/waldorfplay.htm

There's a whole philosophy in Waldorf that basically talks about the importance of items being hand-made. This isn't a "machine made" mass produced doll. In Waldorf, they say that the child tends to have a greater connection to something hand-made as they can feel the love that goes into it. (Ideally the parent would make the child's doll, but realistically I know that is tough). Part of that "connection" is that it inspires the child to take great care for the item (particularly if they see mom make it) and treat it with respect. It isn't disposable. It can't easily be replaced at the nearest Walmart. You buy one doll, not 10 for your child as the article Jessica linked you to explains. But, that one doll should be treated with some level of reverence. If she becomes broken, show your child how to mend her back together. She is to be cherished, not thrown into the toy box to be forgotten a few days later. I believe Waldorf teachers recommend modeling this type of behavior. If the child casts the doll aside carelessly, without saying a word to the child, the parent can pick the doll up, wrap her up in a blanket and put her away in her cradle while comforting her. They don't "chastise" for not caring for the doll, they just model extreme care with which the doll should be treated.

The natural materials are also a part of it as you said. Also the fact that it wasn't produced by child laborers or unethical manufacturing practices. The simple face allows the child to have the doll feel angry, sad, happy, etc. rather than having those emotions "imposed" on the doll. In Waldorf they don't believe in anatomically correct baby dolls, etc. The child isn't "ready" for that level of reality because they are still in their hazy, dream-like state of being. The dolls are works of art :)

HTH a little bit at least.

ellies mom
03-02-2005, 04:00 AM
Yes, that does help. I don't think DH would be swayed by the website, but I can use some of the ideas. I decided to ask for a kit, partly because I can sell the "made with love" part, but mostly because I would really enjoy making the doll for her. She is too young to know I made it, but I would know.

It's funny because I remembered seemingly out of the blue today that my junior high art teacher made her daughter a doll that looking back was probably a waldorf doll. I remember thinking that was the coolest thing. She is still teaching at the school, maybe I'll send her an e-mail. I thought I might also use that "inspirational" story to help convince DH.

Anyhow ladies, thanks for your help.