PDA

View Full Version : Help - quick! Good trains available locally?

calebsmama03
03-03-2005, 10:17 AM
So the stuff I ordered for C's birthday hasn't arrived and though I know he won'tknow the difference I want him to have something from mommy and daddy to open today :( Since a good train set/table is in our future I thought I'd run out later and pick up some trains for him but is there anyplace I can go IRL to get nicer trains? Does BRU carry any good brands? I'm trying to steer away from the junky plastic toys and go for more classic and natural goods from now on. Any ideas? I checked Tuesday Morning yesterday and was disappointed - all Barbie and junkie stuff :( Any quick tips would be appreciated!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And the stubborn "purple" baby due 5/25/05

nitaghei
03-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Lynne,

Do you have an AC Moore or Michael's near you? Some of these stores carry Thomas. I got all of DS's Thomas pieces at AC Moore.

Otherwise, Target has a pretty decent generic wood train set. Don't get the Target Thomas stuff, though - it isn't compatible with the regular wood Thomas.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

COElizabeth
03-03-2005, 10:44 AM
TRU carries Thomas stuff. I haven't checked Michaels in our area, but I know some Michaels do carry Thomas things, and Michaels has good coupons. They might have some at the door if you don't have one.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
and Charlotte, 11-04-04

COElizabeth
03-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Is it narrower gauge? James was given several Thomas pieces that don't fit on his train track, and I am guessing maybe that's where they came from. They do fine on the roadway side of the track, so we have one loop designated for them. :)

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
and Charlotte, 11-04-04

calebsmama03
03-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks Nita and Elizabeth! Off to look :)

Elizabeth - did James' tummy bug get better? I hope he's feeling better today!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

nitaghei
03-03-2005, 11:48 AM
Elizabeth,

I'm not sure if it's narrower gauge - we don't have any - but it seems likely. The whole Target Thomas line has a different name - can't quite remember what. Sorry. But I'm sure it's been discussed here, if you want to do a search. Lori and Colin are the resident Thomas experts! :)

Nita

nitaghei
03-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Lynne,

So - what did Caleb get? :) Just being inquisitive - but I hope you found something special.

Nita

reyn74
03-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Actually Target now has two types of Thomas trains. The first are the Take Along Thomas which are diecast, not wood, and they are smaller (and thus don't work on the wood tracks). The second type came out just before Christmas, and these are plastic and I think most of the buildings take batteries and talk (in theory teach). I don't know the name, but it might have 'smart' somewhere in there. These are compatible with the wood sets, according to the box, anyhow. I've never bought any of these, and I'm not entirely sure they still sell them.

-Sarah

calebsmama03
03-04-2005, 06:10 PM
Well, neither of my local Michael's carry Thomas - closest one was 20 miles away so I didn't go :( Ended up at TRU and just got him some Aquadoodle mini mats (OK, it's not natural or classic, but I LOVE the aquadoodle!!!) and some Melissa and Doug food sets, since I want to get ambitious and make him a kitchen like Zen's :)
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

ellies mom
03-04-2005, 06:26 PM
I didn't see this until today (sorry) but our Barnes and Noble carries Thomas the Train stuff in its children section. I guess it might help for future reference.