PDA

View Full Version : What's the best egg coloring kit?

vikivoly
03-09-2005, 02:11 AM
I like the pretty bright ones, with lots of color, but sometimes they get sticky and never really *dry*. I'm open for other creative egg coloring ideas too, especially if it's something a 2 year old can help with.

redhookmom
03-09-2005, 07:22 AM
I always have the thought to try this each easter: http://www.night.net/easter/eggcolor.html-ssi

brittone2
03-09-2005, 09:01 AM
My grandfather used to do this when I was a child. He used the onion peels and they came out very pretty :) No icky, sticky dyes either. I don't know what kind of peels he used exactly, but they came out sort of a very warm orange if I remember correctly.

kochh2
03-13-2005, 02:18 PM
have you thought about using crayons to color them, or markers? that mightbe fun for a 2 yo. Also, we used simple food coloring and vinegar growing up, and it was a great way to have tons of colors, never felt icky sticky, and we learned all about mixing colors that way!
other ideas not always involving dye: glue string or fabric on, use stickers, use the wax from a crayon to do a simple design, then dunk it in foodcolor dye, then take a cloth and buff off the wax, leaving a print there where wax was first put on. this is a simplified version of ukranian eggs... youcna get pretty fancy w/ those!
also, there's the cool craft for making marbellized paper, which would probablywork really well on eggs too: take a plate, fill it w / shaving cream, drop several drips of a few food colors into shaing cream, swirl around a bit, and then kind of roll egg in color- be gentle, dont over-roll it... take a paper towel and wipe off cream... voila! marbelized eggs... I havent tried this yet, as DS is 7 mos... might skip this tradition this year.... but will try it when he's older! let me know if it works!
hth,
Happy St. paddy's day & Happy Easter!
Holly
Mama to Aiden

kochh2
03-13-2005, 02:18 PM
have you thought about using crayons to color them, or markers? that mightbe fun for a 2 yo. Also, we used simple food coloring and vinegar growing up, and it was a great way to have tons of colors, never felt icky sticky, and we learned all about mixing colors that way!
other ideas not always involving dye: glue string or fabric on, use stickers, use the wax from a crayon to do a simple design, then dunk it in foodcolor dye, then take a cloth and buff off the wax, leaving a print there where wax was first put on. this is a simplified version of ukranian eggs... youcna get pretty fancy w/ those!
also, there's the cool craft for making marbellized paper, which would probablywork really well on eggs too: take a plate, fill it w / shaving cream, drop several drips of a few food colors into shaing cream, swirl around a bit, and then kind of roll egg in color- be gentle, dont over-roll it... take a paper towel and wipe off cream... voila! marbelized eggs... I havent tried this yet, as DS is 7 mos... might skip this tradition this year.... but will try it when he's older! let me know if it works!
hth,
Happy St. paddy's day & Happy Easter!
Holly
Mama to Aiden