PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Play Kitchens - Should We Get a Fridge?

zuzu
03-09-2005, 01:16 PM
We're going to be getting a play kitchen for Sarah this spring, and I wanted opinions on how much your child/children use the refrigerator, if you have one. I want to get the following combined stove/sink/dishwasher unit, or something similar:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22628.jpg

We do have room for a fridge, but I wanted to get an idea of how much it might be used before we invest in one. Sarah could store much of her play food in it, I guess, but it seems like a pricey storage unit, unless it's likely to get more use than that.

Thanks!
Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

jec2
03-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Melissa,

I would say get the fridge! If you can afford it and have room for it I think it would be great to have.

I hope to get finn the fridge in addition to one of the kitchens (I love the one you have pictured above but it is a little expensive for me :( ) Anyway, my thought that is 1) Finn loves to play in our fridge. He absolutely loves to explore it so he'll have his own; 2) The fridge will serve as another storage vessel for his kitchen accessories; and 3) even if sarah doesn't use the fridge for fridge purposes perhaps it could work as a little book shelf or doll closet or something like that?!

hope this helps...

ellies mom
03-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Well, you got me thinking. I think the reason I'm getting a fridge it for additional storage. The play kitchen fridge Target has, is all set up inside to be a glorified toy box. I'm not getting the Target one but I liked the idea. My dad offered to make DD's kitchen, and I'm planning on doing something similar with her fridge.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22633.jpg

LucyG
03-09-2005, 09:54 PM
I think a refrigerator is nice, if you have room for it. Our kitchen (Kidkraft) does have a large refrigerator and a separate freezer, and DD plays with them a lot. She is starting to sort her foods now, and puts cold things in the refrigerator (sometimes :-)). Since a refrigerator is such an essential part of a real kitchen, I think it's nice to have one in a play kitchen, as well.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
2 years and counting!

August Mom
03-09-2005, 10:09 PM
I don't have experience with this with DS, but I will say from my own childhood experience, I really wanted a refrigerator. We didn't get one for awhile and then one day my kitchen was finally complete. :) I did mainly use it for storage. I actually kept real food in it. I kept snacks and also Easter candy and things like that. I also used it a lot for pretend play. It is an essential part of a real life kitchen and it was fun to act things out with it.

zen_bliss
03-10-2005, 12:45 AM
DD uses her fridge all the time! there is such an allure to opening and closing doors and arranging 'food' on the shelves.

the $40 IKEA ivar cabinet (wood) as the fridge will do nicely even if you don't split the door into a fridge/freezer compartment like i did in the DIY thread. another BBB mama has the toys from the barn kitchen (i think this one, in fact) and bought the IKEA cabinet as the fridge, and it looks just dandy together. i highly recommend the $2 wire basket for the inside of the door for eggs and butter!

zuzu
03-10-2005, 06:32 AM
Thanks for all the feedback! I think we'll be getting the fridge, too. :) I had originally planned on it, but wanted to make sure it was something that was likely to be used for play, and not just for storage, and it sounds like it will. These days, Sarah is more fixated on our real dishwasher than the fridge (unless she wants cheese!), which is why I was trying to incorporate that element into the unit. Funny, but I don't remember my play kitchen as a child - will have to ask my mom about that.

Thanks, Zen, for the suggestions for a DIY fridge. I'll check out that cabinet next time we're at IKEA.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

pixelprincess
03-11-2005, 12:46 AM
Melissa, no answers for you, but wanted to say i love the kitchen! will have to get some info from you later.

ps. owe you an email!