PDA

View Full Version : Advance musings on first birthday gifts

Saartje
03-12-2005, 11:30 AM
DH and I have been musing over what we'd like to give Ishie for his first birthday. Please give me any thoughts on the following -- appropriateness, things we may not have considered -- because we're getting a little stumped.

Kettler: In the absence of another really good coop, the trike from OSA seems like an excellent deal. However, it doesn't have air tires, which would make it unusable in the backyard (right?), which would mean that during those times of the year we wouldn't or couldn't use it in our neighbourhood, we'd have to pack it up and take it all the way to the park. Realistically, that would probably mean it wouldn't get used much except in the summer, which makes me think it might be better to wait until we'll be moving somewhere else.

Train table: I know 12 months is too young for the trains, but I think the table would be very useful for play with other toys, like blocks, in the meantime. (We don't have a coffee table to substitute, btw, but he likes playing with things on them at friends' houses. Will that continue once he's walking, or is that a cruising-specific activity?) Problem with this one: we don't really have a place for it to go. If I can eBay some stuff I've been meaning to get rid of, that will help. Ishie's room is tiny -- I call it his Harry Potter bedroom, since it's the cupboard under the stairs -- so it would have to go in the living room, and even there something else will have to go.

Blocks: We'd love to give him a good-sized set of blocks from Barclay Blocks. However, in the absence of a train table, I can't see how they'd be played with without winding up entirely underfoot.

Those are my big thoughts. I think maybe I need to think more about other ideas. So, other ideas I have:

Some small play structure for the back yard, that could be moved with us when we go? It would be nice to have something for Isaac to do in the yard, once he's walking. Are these appropriate for a 1-yo, or will I be disappointed by how little use it gets between 12-18 months, say?

I could make him a Waldorf doll and sling. But I'm wondering if another doll would be overkill at this age, since he already has a Gugli (Waldorf-style towel doll) for a lovey, and various stuffed animals that he plays with (including the ever-popular Mr. Monkey). I tend to think I'd rather wait and make his doll when he's better able to understand that I'm making it especially for him. (Not that he doesn't already seem to get attached to my knitting, but still.)

We could get a storage set (I have my eye on one that would work for his toys and my craft supplies) in honor of his birthday, since he's too young to feel under-gifted, IYKWIM. Having a neat way to store his toys -- easy to put up, easy to get out, easy to find, easy to limit the total volume -- would benefit him and all of us for years to come.

Or we could get no large gift at all -- just a few books or puzzles, possibly a swim class with Daddy over the coming months, and sign him up for a summer of biking with Mommy. ;)

Comments are welcome, but even if you have none, thanks for listening. It's nice to pin my thoughts down by typing them out, so I can see what they are.

amp
03-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Kettler - We bought Jake one just before his 1st birthday (the TRU Kiddio version) and he loved it! It was a completely appropriate time for him to have it (w/ the parent push bar).

Train table. I agree that trains might be a bit advanced, but the table would be useful if you have room for it.

Play structure. We recieved a Little Tykes small plastic one with just a small slide and swing for his 1st birthday. It was completely appropriate then, but he is much to big to enjoy it now. So, IMO, it wasn't worth the money for one of those tiny sets.

Blocks are always a good option, but they do get underfoot if you don't have a table (we don't), so we keep them in various baskets and bins when not in use. He doesn't use them as much as I'd hoped he would. Just not a block kid yet, I guess.

A storage set is a great idea. Issac won't know the difference and it will be infinitely useful as he gets more toys and stuff.

Puzzles were a big hit around here at about 18 mths, but he doesn't play with them everyday or anything.

Books were a huge hit from about 1 yr and to the present time. They are always a good gift, IMO. Jake also liked shape sorters at that age and got pretty good at them. There are several nice wooden versions out there to choose from.

A sandbox was a great hit here, but I don't know what kind of space you have and I know you are moving. Jake loves his! And a kiddie pool was another huge hit. He loves anything to do with water, so maybe a sand and water table that is portable.

Good luck!

laretce6
03-12-2005, 03:29 PM
First of all if you're musing in advance, then I must be really crazy cause I've been thinking about this for awhile now :-)

I *think* we are getting DD-
Alphabet Blocks (already purchased)
Rainbow People Mover from Rosie Hippo
Ryan's Room Shape Sorter
Wooden Stacking Rings from WoodnThings
Holtzinger Farm Animals
ABC Block Books
A few other books
A playsilk or two (but I may try to just find some scarves at a thrift store and wait on these for a bit)

but this goes over what I'd planned to spend so I need to cut something

other things on our list were
"lawnmower" push toy from Rosie Hippo
Radio Flyer Walker Wagon (but SIL got DD the Parents walker wagon for Christmas so it's not needed)

I think any of your ideas would be great. We're just not planning too do anything big because we really will only buy DD toys at her birthday and Christmas and I think the bigger items can keep until she's two or so (Kitchen, Dollhouse, etc), we also are pretty limited on space. I'd love to get a Kettler, but the price is a bit prohibitive unless GPs help and we have a gravel driveway so I'm not sure how much it would be used.

Sorry, I'm rambling I hope this gives you some more ideas.

Caroline
Mama to Eleanor Katherine 8.2.04

brittone2
03-12-2005, 06:06 PM
I think your list looks great. My DS just turned one and I considered many of the same things. I was going to get him a Kettler and then decided to wait for next Christmas (he'll be about 22 months at that time), but I think it is a great first bday gift.

I also considered a toddler slide, but we are moving soon and I'll probably wait until after the move. Another consideration is that they often are only used for a year or two at the most. I plan to really look at consignment stores, etc. before buying one new. It seems to me like the perfect thing to at least try to buy 2nd hand. But that's just my opinion.

A train table and blocks seems like a nice combination of things. Our DS is coming up on 13 months and I'm sure he'd love cruising around a train table (we have an ottoman as our regular "coffee table" so he hasn't had the chance to cruise using something like a train table). I would like to get a train table down the road, but I'm thinking I'll wait and see if we really "miss" having one....DS has some Thomas pieces (obviously not really playing with them yet). If down the road I notice he is missing having a table to play at, maybe we'll get one or ask the GPs for that.

If you are at all interested in playsilks you can always use one to wrap a smaller gift. Kind of a nice substitute for wrapping paper :) I love ours from bumbershootbaby.com

I'm sure whatever you pick will be perfect. Big hits around here currently are a big wooden truck, balls, nesting cups, Melissa and Doug cutting food (he just likes pulling it apart) and ring stackers (we have several kinds). DS is starting to try to stack blocks and will sometimes stack two. Mostly he likes raiding the cabinets in the kitchen and creating chaos out of pots, pans, lids (he uses them like cymbals now...his new discovery LOL), and utensils ;)

egoldber
03-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Well, I know a lot of people disagree with me, but I think most of these items are more appropriate for a 2 year old. While younger kids "may" enjoy a Kettler or a train table or a doll, those things are really more age appropriate for a 2+ year old.

At age 1, here are some thoughts:

books ("lift the flap" and "touch and feel" books start to become popular at this age)
wooden puzzles
wooden blocks (yes, they will get underfoot, but it ALL gets underfoot once they are really mobile)
a shopping cart or push cart (kids love having something to put things in and push it around)
more advanced shape sorters
stacking cups and rings
hand puppets

Animals sets and character sets (like Little People or wooden equivalents if you prefer) also tend to be a hit at this age.

Mega Bloks or Duplos are also a good gift at this age.

HTH,

brittone2
03-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Beth-I totally agree...a lot of the items aren't necessarily age-appropriate. I know around here though we buy ahead sometimes because DS's bday and Christmas are only 2 months apart. So...for his birthday he got things that I wanted for him to have for around 18m-2 years, kwim? Also, we tend to buy things w/ longevity and don't have an infinite toy budget (wouldn't that be nice LOL), so I'd consider getting something for DS like a train table for a birthday and a few other small items that he'd be able to play with right away.

I think it just depends on the strategy you have for toy buying. We're buying an E&A kitchen w/ the co-op and DS is just coming up on 13 months. I figure he can have his own cabinet to open and close and maybe he'll leave mine alone ;) I don't envision him "cooking" for quite a while but I think he'd still have fun just doing open/close in the meantime. It is a belated bday gift (we had planned on buying one for his bday anyway) from us...I decided to hold off in February to see if there'd be a co-op. So he's getting it now, but probably won't be playing w/ it for a few months. But that's what I expect...I know he's not going to be interested now.

I do think Beth's (egoldberg) list is great for toy buying...it just depends on how your family does stuff and whether you are going to be annoyed by having stuff for "down the road" taking up room now, or whether you'll be disappointed if DC isn't interested in playing right away with what you buy for his bday.

My thinking for my own DS is that he doesn't even get the whole gift giving thing, so a few small age appropriate items in addition to a larger item we might put away for a while works for us.

Momof3Labs
03-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Colin started playing with his train table and train sets at 15 months, but that was early compared to most kids here. But he did NOT like being on a trike at all at that age (still doesn't). I gotta agree with Beth that in general, your list is more of a 2 year old list, so perhaps stick with some smaller items instead and buy a bigger item later in the year if you decide that he'd ready.

KrisM
03-12-2005, 09:02 PM
I've started thinking about this, too. I'm thinking of puzzles, a sand box and "tools" for it, some sort of riding/pushing toy for outside?, a wagon. That's as far as I've gotten so far.

I wondered about a play structure for outside, but we'll probably move next year, so we'll probably postpone that. I'll be interested in reading all the responses you get.

jakobsmommie
03-13-2005, 09:36 AM
I really like the Wheelybug idea for DD - I think I might get her that.
I also like to get her things that she can play with in the future. That way she has a diverse amount of toys that will keep her interested until christmas!

I think the Baby Stella doll from Manhattan Toys is Super Cute! I think I saw them on sale at this site www.playchild.com

Manhattan Toys have a few things I like for this age group.
Also The Haba Wooden Toys are great!

HAS ANYONE TRIED THE HUNGRY PELICAN??? I saw it at Marshalls for $20 but it seems so boring, I didn't get it, even though it was COVERED in parent award stickers! Did I pass up a good thing???

I really like the playsilk idea to wrap up a gift, HOW GREAT IS THAT!! Seems like you spend $10 to wrap a gift now a days, I'd MUCH rather spend it on a playsilk!

jakobsmommie
03-13-2005, 09:36 AM
I really like the Wheelybug idea for DD - I think I might get her that.
I also like to get her things that she can play with in the future. That way she has a diverse amount of toys that will keep her interested until christmas!

I think the Baby Stella doll from Manhattan Toys is Super Cute! I think I saw them on sale at this site www.playchild.com

Manhattan Toys have a few things I like for this age group.
Also The Haba Wooden Toys are great!

HAS ANYONE TRIED THE HUNGRY PELICAN??? I saw it at Marshalls for $20 but it seems so boring, I didn't get it, even though it was COVERED in parent award stickers! Did I pass up a good thing???

I really like the playsilk idea to wrap up a gift, HOW GREAT IS THAT!! Seems like you spend $10 to wrap a gift now a days, I'd MUCH rather spend it on a playsilk!

egoldber
03-13-2005, 09:56 AM
I just wanted to point out that all the toys in the list I gave ARE toys that will last a long time. At almost 4, my DD STILL plays with most of those toys. They find new and different things to do with these toys as they get older.

egoldber
03-13-2005, 09:56 AM
I just wanted to point out that all the toys in the list I gave ARE toys that will last a long time. At almost 4, my DD STILL plays with most of those toys. They find new and different things to do with these toys as they get older.

JBaxter
03-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Two things that my DS ( 16 months old) really enjoyed for his first birthday was a wooden rocking chair and a rock,roll & ride toy. It is a rocking trike that converts to a push handle for the parents when its an outside toy. Its one of those items with a couple years of use. DS is also fasinated with one of those toys with the wires and beads that move. Hope the suggestions help.

Jeana mom to Logan 11-18-91
Connor 10-30-94
Nathan 11-15-03

JBaxter
03-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Two things that my DS ( 16 months old) really enjoyed for his first birthday was a wooden rocking chair and a rock,roll & ride toy. It is a rocking trike that converts to a push handle for the parents when its an outside toy. Its one of those items with a couple years of use. DS is also fasinated with one of those toys with the wires and beads that move. Hope the suggestions help.

Jeana mom to Logan 11-18-91
Connor 10-30-94
Nathan 11-15-03

pixelprincess
03-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Kettler trike- We have a trike that we got in one of the coops, though we haven't put it to good use yet. We also have a Step 2 buggy that we use quite a bit more at this stage. Although, at 20 m he may be getting a bit more ready for the trike.

Ikea table and chair set- This has got to be one of the best purchases I made. I got an unfinished set as I hope to paint it sometime. Dh was really opposed to adding another piece of baby furniture, but he plays with it every single day. He loves to grab his toys or kitchen pots and cook at the table. The table is also a great place for him to sit and snack/drink milk, etc. It is also a nice hangout when he has a little friend visitng over.

Train table- Just started looking into train tables. Would also like to use it as a coffee table.

DS loves his little puzzles that he got on his 1st b-day!

pixelprincess
03-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Kettler trike- We have a trike that we got in one of the coops, though we haven't put it to good use yet. We also have a Step 2 buggy that we use quite a bit more at this stage. Although, at 20 m he may be getting a bit more ready for the trike.

Ikea table and chair set- This has got to be one of the best purchases I made. I got an unfinished set as I hope to paint it sometime. Dh was really opposed to adding another piece of baby furniture, but he plays with it every single day. He loves to grab his toys or kitchen pots and cook at the table. The table is also a great place for him to sit and snack/drink milk, etc. It is also a nice hangout when he has a little friend visitng over.

Train table- Just started looking into train tables. Would also like to use it as a coffee table.

DS loves his little puzzles that he got on his 1st b-day!

darby24
03-13-2005, 06:14 PM
My youngest nephew is going to turn one in a week so I'm just battling through the birthday shopping as well. I've ended up getting him the same present that I gave his brother when he turned one. I also donated money which will get his name on a national pavilion, just like big bro. So one toy and one "special" present.

The preschool/plastic Tonka dump truck is my favourite 1st birthday gift. Every kid that's gotten it has been thrilled and it's been well used years after. The reason I first bought it was because of the handles, it was great to learn to walk behind. Other reasons are the fact that it's plastic so they don't hurt themselves and the full back on the dump bucket is really nice as it actually holds things (there's lines to let harmful water drain.) There's a few others in this Tonka line, I also like the loader; it's got the great handles again. I can't find either of these on the TRU.com site, but did find it on the Canadian site. http://tinyurl.com/4efj7 http://tinyurl.com/475sf Oh it's not the Jr. line, those are small versions.
http://www.toysrus.ca/TRUCA/images/common/prod/A926CC5F_1c.jpg http://www.toysrus.ca/TRUCA/images/common/prod/A925DC5F_1c.jpg

My sister and bil didn't get nephew J a "big" present and are doing the same for S. A few different balls, he just got new Robeez and I had thought of a pop up tunnel. They bought J a tent castle from Ikea. My mom hasn't bought her present mainly because my sister isn't sure what she wants. He doesn't "need" any clothing or toys. Makes it hard!

Good luck with whatever you end up with. No matter what you get it will be a hit. Just give him wrapping paper! ;)

darby24
03-13-2005, 06:14 PM
My youngest nephew is going to turn one in a week so I'm just battling through the birthday shopping as well. I've ended up getting him the same present that I gave his brother when he turned one. I also donated money which will get his name on a national pavilion, just like big bro. So one toy and one "special" present.

The preschool/plastic Tonka dump truck is my favourite 1st birthday gift. Every kid that's gotten it has been thrilled and it's been well used years after. The reason I first bought it was because of the handles, it was great to learn to walk behind. Other reasons are the fact that it's plastic so they don't hurt themselves and the full back on the dump bucket is really nice as it actually holds things (there's lines to let harmful water drain.) There's a few others in this Tonka line, I also like the loader; it's got the great handles again. I can't find either of these on the TRU.com site, but did find it on the Canadian site. http://tinyurl.com/4efj7 http://tinyurl.com/475sf Oh it's not the Jr. line, those are small versions.
http://www.toysrus.ca/TRUCA/images/common/prod/A926CC5F_1c.jpg http://www.toysrus.ca/TRUCA/images/common/prod/A925DC5F_1c.jpg

My sister and bil didn't get nephew J a "big" present and are doing the same for S. A few different balls, he just got new Robeez and I had thought of a pop up tunnel. They bought J a tent castle from Ikea. My mom hasn't bought her present mainly because my sister isn't sure what she wants. He doesn't "need" any clothing or toys. Makes it hard!

Good luck with whatever you end up with. No matter what you get it will be a hit. Just give him wrapping paper! ;)

TahliasMom
03-13-2005, 10:42 PM
DH and I have been discussing this quite a bit. We're in a small place with a little backyard so we're trying to avoid clutter and are on a small budget. So far this is what we have come up with for DD:

wooden baby walker or a plastic ride on
little people sweet home and farris wheel (got it for cheap during the sears clearance sale)
play structure from toys r us
books
swim lessons

anything other suggestions?

TahliasMom
03-13-2005, 10:42 PM
DH and I have been discussing this quite a bit. We're in a small place with a little backyard so we're trying to avoid clutter and are on a small budget. So far this is what we have come up with for DD:

wooden baby walker or a plastic ride on
little people sweet home and farris wheel (got it for cheap during the sears clearance sale)
play structure from toys r us
books
swim lessons

anything other suggestions?

sadie427
03-13-2005, 11:32 PM
I agree with a lot of what was said above--I think the train table, trains and kettler are all too old for him, and if yyou are thinking of moving you probably won't want to get stuff ahead. We got DS a Radio Flyer ride-on, looks like a little bike but without pedals, was around $30 at the time, although I think it's more now.

We got wooden blocks at around that time, and you certainly don't need a table, although it is nice to have a nice box or bin, since taking them out and putting them in is part of the fun. If they need to be in the living room, you could get a nice basket or wood box that looks like it's supposed to be in the living room. Some of the Barclay blocks are too big for a 1-year old, but he grew into them.

sadie427
03-13-2005, 11:32 PM
I agree with a lot of what was said above--I think the train table, trains and kettler are all too old for him, and if yyou are thinking of moving you probably won't want to get stuff ahead. We got DS a Radio Flyer ride-on, looks like a little bike but without pedals, was around $30 at the time, although I think it's more now.

We got wooden blocks at around that time, and you certainly don't need a table, although it is nice to have a nice box or bin, since taking them out and putting them in is part of the fun. If they need to be in the living room, you could get a nice basket or wood box that looks like it's supposed to be in the living room. Some of the Barclay blocks are too big for a 1-year old, but he grew into them.

jk3
03-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Braden received his train table when he was about 17 months old and this is by far the best item we have. He loved the train table at B+N so I knew he had a general interest. Initially, he played with a simple circle track on the table and a few trains. Over the past few months his play is more complex. I can see this continuing to be a favorite for years. It's also great for storage and to use as a play surface for Little People, coloring or playdough. We don't have room for the train table and a table and chair set so we use the train table for most activities.

He also really likes his play kitchen. His grandparents got him a LT plastic kitchen in neutral colors and he enjoys opening and closing the cabinets and he is starting to get into some pretend play.

Blocks - wooden and Duplo- are also a big hit. We store these in the bins under the train table.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

CiderLogan
03-14-2005, 03:30 PM
You've gotten some good ideas/opinions here. Some of my DD's favorite 1st birthday gifts were a wooden rocking horse (she still rides it and also tries to feed it now, which is cute), a music/instrument set (she received the Parents one and loves it more each week), books of all types (especially those with just a display of pictures so she can point out the things she knows), Signing Time DVDs, puzzles, the Parents walker wagon (used it to learn to walk and now loves the wooden blocks for stacking). For Christmas, my DH gave me and DD a Gymboree music class - you mentioned a similar idea. I love that as a gift idea. Also, I totally agree with your idea of a storage system as a gift. You have to take advantage of the times when he won't notice a gift is not an exciting new toy!

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

Saartje
03-15-2005, 03:05 PM
The thoughts on age-appropriateness were especially helpful.

Since there was some discussion of toy-buying philosophies here, I'll share mine: I like toys that Ishie can grow into, so that he gets maximum use out of them. For instance, he received a wooden train that's made up of blocks on a base with wheels for Christmas; it was advanced for a six-month-old, but he was fascinated with it nonetheless. It's seen a lot of play already, and I'm sure his play with it will become more sophisticated over time (ie, I expect he'll proceed to putting it together in different configurations, not just taking it apart to find two blocks the same colour to hold in each hand).

For space issues, I feel that having something he can grow into takes up less space in the long run; and though we will be moving at some point in the future, we don't know when. (I'm thinking we'll at least wait until I'm working so we can take my commute into consideration, which gives Ishie time to go through a few more developmental stages in our current location. ;)) Also, our move from Chicago to DC has changed status from "in a few months" to "not in the foreseeable future."

Andrea -- thanks for your thoughts on how quickly the plastic play structures are outgrown. If it's an issue of the child's size, we can definitely cross that off our list, since he's currently off the charts for height, so it wouldn't last us long. I like the idea of a wading pool, but I'm not sure that wouldn't take up more than our share of the backyard; on the whole, I'm thinking it might be best to move Isaac's Activity Garden to the backyard for the summer, if he needs something to play with back there other than the picnic table and our garden plot.

Beth -- thanks for your developmentally appropriate list. We have several of the things on it already -- either in use in whatever fashion he currently enjoys, or waiting for him to be a little more ready -- but it's good to get a peek at what he's likely to take to soon. I'll keep an eye out for more interactive books, especially.

Jeana -- thanks for suggesting a wire/bead maze and a rocking horse. I hadn't considered either of those.

Erin -- the wrapping paper will have to be quickly removed from reach if nothing changes in the next few months. Currently, he likes to eat paper. ;)

Susan -- good point about putting the blocks in a basket and taking them out being half the fun; I'll make sure that's available.

Jenny -- that looks like an excellent list, and thanks for mentioning the instrument set! I knew I was forgetting something.

aliceinwonderland
03-15-2005, 06:07 PM
nothing else. He has too much crap and hardly plays with toys.