PDA

View Full Version : To playpen or not to playpen...

austenfan
03-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Hi! We are adopting our daughter from China and she will be between 7-12 months by the time we bring her home (likley 9-12 months old). I am trying to buy the items we need a little at a time. I cannot decide about a playpen. Should we get one? Shouldn't we? The bassinet feature will have no use to us, but it would be nice to have some place for her to lay down at my parents' house (although, my mother may buy a crib for her house). What do you guys think? Which one would you buy, if any?

Here are some additional tidbits that might help: Our house is small. We have two dogs. Our kitchen is open to the living room & dining room, but I would not consider it safe for her to play on the floor in the kitchen because the oven and such would be too easy to get to. (In other words, I am trying to figure out a safe play to keep her while I am cooking).

Help!
Amy C-S

sdbc
03-16-2005, 08:46 PM
We have a hexagonal gate that sits right on the floor (you can put a mat under it if you want). We love this because we have the option of 1. getting in there and playing with her if we want, or 2. putting the dog in it. It has worked out better than the pack-n-play for us since we can get in there, too. My daughter does not tolerate being in there by herself, although she does nap in the pnp at daycare.

HTH.

holliam
03-16-2005, 08:58 PM
I recommend that you research baby slings and carriers. There is a great forum here that will get you started. We're adopting too (Guatemala), and the bonding that you will get from carrying her around will be so critical and so much better for her, especially if she is currently in an orphanage.

She may not be as mobile as you would expect when she first comes home.

I personally think it's better to just make the house child safe and put up gates if you absolutely need to.

Holli

Mollylolly
03-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Hi - First congrats on your new little girl! We have a 11 month old DS. I don't use my pack-n-play alot, but I find it indispensable in two situations:
1. Baby always gets up before me. Around 6:30, so unless you are super mommy, you will probably, like me, be taking your shower after baby is awake. I keep the pak-n-play in our room or our master bath and put DS in it while I take my shower. He does not love it, but he deals with it after a few minutes (esp. if I put the wiggles on). Also, sometimes if baby is sick or not sleeping well, you might want her in your room instead of her crib. I guess the point is that there are a few times when you need baby to be safe while you are doing something (like taking a shower). It is also nice to just have a second location, other than baby's crib, where you can put her from time to time.
2. Travel - The new pak-n-plays fold up really easy. They are great for travel. We take it with us on vacation and when we have to stop overnight on the way to visit family. Great place for baby to sleep and to play (so they don't have to walk aournd yucky hotel room floor). Also great is someone with kids is visiting your house.
That said, I would not buy the most expensive pack-n-play. Mine was pretty expensive and in retrospect I don't see the point. Just make sure it is big, sturdy, and if possible, that it has a little clip on night light - which is nice for peeking on baby when asleep in the pak-n-play at night.
Good luck and congrats again.

pritchettzoo
03-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Holli's sling/carrier idea is fabulous.

If you'll use the PNP for travel too, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get one. I still use the changing table now, and DD is 18 months old. It's never been used as a "playpen" except during a two-three month period for me to take a shower. I was using a bouncy seat, but DD figured out how to wiggle out of it and/or would wind up head first on the floor. It wasn't her favorite place to be, but showering is a necessity to me! ;)

I think you'll figure out the cooking thing. DD was pretty easy to entertain with tupperware. She would pack and unpack that cabinet for a long time happily whereas if I had put her in the PNP she likely would have screamed the whole time. Now she hangs out in the Learning Tower and "helps" or at least sings to me while I putter around the kitchen.

PNPs are also something you can keep an eye out for at consignment sales (especially the large ones--the multiples sales are supposed to be great) or craigslist. You can tell from inspecting them whether they're in good condition. Maybe a friend is done with hers and can pass it along?

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

Kimberly H
03-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Amy, Mia was 14 months when we brought her home from China and we used the Pack 'N Play some, but not a lot. I second the suggestion of looking for a used one.

I used the sling a lot but sometimes it just wasn't practical *for us.*

When we needed the Pack 'N Play, it was invaluable. When we didn't, it was a great toybox ;)

Moneypenny
03-17-2005, 10:11 AM
My DD is 7 months, and we have a borrowed PNP. We mainly use it to keep DD separated from our dog while we run to the bathroom or down into the basement to switch laundry around. I like the PP suggestions of finding a used one or buying an inexpensive one without all the bells and whistles. For us, it's really about the dog. Our pooch is very friendly and has never shown any agression at all toward DD, but I'm just not comfortable leaving the baby and the dog alone while I'm not right there. Since you have 2 dogs, you might feel the same way.

Congrats on your daughter!
Susan
DD - Avery, born 8/5/04

austenfan
03-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Holli,

Thanks for response. I am planning on using a sling as much as possible because of the attachment issue (already have a Sarah's Ride bought & am planning to buy a more traditional one too), but I was looking for something to use when a sling is not possible. What has worked for you?

Amy C-S

austenfan
03-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Susan,

That is exactly the issue I am concerned about with my dogs! I am not worried about agression toward the baby, but I am worried about unsupervised play when I need to take care of little tasks.

My SIL offered to lend me her PNP, but I was a bit concerned about safety since it is over seven years old. I guess the next step is to check on recalls.

Thanks for your help!
Amy C-S

austenfan
03-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Sue,

That is a great suggestion. I didn't even think about that.

I am curious how large your dog it, though. My dogs are big (Golden Retriever and Australian Cattle Dog) and I worry about them being able to jump in and out of it.

Amy

austenfan
03-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. They have all been very helpful! I now have some issues to consider.

If you think of anything else, let me know.

amy

holliam
03-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Well, my opinion is just theoretical. We've been at this adoption gig for nearly a year and a half now. We lost our first daughter and our current one still isn't home. Guatemala is very variable.

I don't have the dog issue (we have cats), and I just am personally not interested in a playpen. I work from home full time as a telecommuter and DH is a SAHD-to be so I just think our situation is such that it doesn't lend itself to requiring one. I think I do have a different type of carrier for every possible scenario though! :)

Holli

hchambliss
03-17-2005, 11:23 AM
I have been extremely happy with my gate system as well (Superyard XT at BRU). It's a relatively big space, so I don't think babies feel as trapped. I have read some reviews where it can slide on slick floors, but my it has been very sturdy for my 9 month old who pulls up on it contstantly. I've clipped toys all around the sides. I can take a book and sit in there and she will play by herself in one spot... not the case when she's outside the gate!

The PNP is wonderful for travel.

One thing to consider is baby's personality. Mine will hang out in her high chair or exersaucer as long as I'm there. A stroller can even work, too. Other babies hate being confined anywhere.

austenfan
03-17-2005, 11:34 AM
I am very sorry about your loss.

I'm not all that thrilled about playpen, but there are times I will need something to put her in for a few minutes. I know a couple people who over used their playpen, IMHO, so I think the sling will be what I primarly use when I am able.

Good luck with bringing your baby home! I know the wait is difficult (it sure is for me). ;-)

Amy

mrsmac
03-17-2005, 12:36 PM
My 2 cents is just to wait on the purchase until you have her home. If you feel you really need one then I'm sure you can easily find an inexpensive one (especially since you don't need one with a bassinet.) Especially since your mom will be getting a crib and you have limited space at home. I just don't think you'd use it much. If you are going to have an exersaucer or something similar she'd probably find that to be more entertaining (and it's more mobile for you to move from room to room. Baby gates are probably going to be the most useful for you. My DD just never stayed happy in the pack-n-play for very long so we hardly used it at all.
HTH
~Tanya

babystuffbuff
03-17-2005, 01:20 PM
There's always eBay. :)

Here is a Pack N Play for $10, and it looks brand new:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2988&item=4364998462&rd=1

Good luck with your adoption!

sdbc
03-17-2005, 01:36 PM
I have a Golden Retriever. I'm not sure about putting 2 of him in there, but I think it would be OK for a short time. He's not really a jumper, though. Sometimes when he has the crazies and it is too cold to let him in the backyard, my husband, daughter, and I play in the playpen together and he gets run of the house!

I don't think the kind we have is still being sold, but the SuperYard XT that they have at BabiesRUs is EXACTLY the same as the PetYardXT (or whatever they call it) at petsmart!!! They just market it differently. I think they are the same price.

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

sdbc
03-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Just wanted to add that I use the sling almost all of the time, but sometimes (rarely) we really need the playpen. Rory probably only spends like 45 minutes per week in there, but when we use it, we NEED it!

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

austenfan
03-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Thanks!!! I just bid. If I don't win, I will just have more time to look. :)

Amy