PDA

View Full Version : Svan high chair

ericher
03-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this chair? It wasn't mentioned in the book but seems like a better option than the Kinderzeat for a small baby.

QNP
03-20-2005, 04:54 AM
We've only been using this chair w/ the infant kit for 2 months for DD and we're very pleased w/ it so far. We purchased the mahoghany w/ red cushion.
DH, in particular, is very impressed w/ its well thought-out design(translation: safety) and function. And of course, we both love the way it looks and the fact that it is wood.

When DD was able to sit up at 5 mo, we got the chair so she could practice sitting at the dinner table w/ us. I didn't think the chair could properly support an infant her size, 13.5 lbs at the time (pretty slim baby), but i was proven wrong. Both the seat and the infant guard are adjustable in a forward/ backward direction. DH just had to slide the infant guard back closer to the backrest and tightened it w/the knob and DD was able to sit w/ her back fully supported against the backrest while her front torso was supported by the infant guard. I already knew about the height adjustment of the seat and footrest from seeing a demo of that on their website, but i was not aware of the adjustability of the infant guard in a forward/backward direction to account for a baby's growing girth.

DD is becoming more active in the chair. She tries standing up on the footrest(the safety belt and the infant guard prevent that!), leans side to side, forward and backward, but the chair is very steady(no tendency to tip at all).

It's pretty easy to clean, just wipe with a damp towel(soap and water) and wipe dry.

Just a little from our experience w/ the Svan... so far so good!

Good luck in your decision!

ericher
03-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Thanks--this is helpful. It's good to know at least one person has had a positive experience with the chair!

CBB
03-20-2005, 11:38 PM
DD has been using it since 5mo old. She just turned 1 and still enjoys sitting in there. We had to adjust it several times over the months since she's growing, but it's pretty easy to do. We're really happy with it so far. I tried to do a search before I purchased it and found only a few posts. I like the style and the fact that you can use it with infants. The only thing is I wish the tray table is larger since DD (I'm sure all the babies) makes a huge mess when she eats. The other problem is the screws that fit the tray table to the chair are looser now since DD keeps pushing on the tray, so it's tilted a little bit (I believe that was mentioned in another post if you do a search). Overall, we are happy with it.

HTH!

QNP
03-21-2005, 01:24 AM
Li,
The avatar of your baby makes me smile every time i see it... just too cute w/ her head full of hair. How old was she when the picture was taken?

CBB
03-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Thank you for your sweet compliment. DD was 7.5mo at the time. Here is the complete picture. It's our favorite picture by far. There was supposed to be a little "bra" on the top but she would not let us put it on. So please excuse the nipple. We actually have the picture blown up and framed in her room.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/23259.jpg

QNP
03-23-2005, 01:29 AM
Li,
Awwwwwww.... She's such a darling! Got a big smile on my face again.
Thanks for sharing...what a precious image!

newmominaugust
03-24-2005, 09:37 AM
We've also been using it for about a month now and we love it. It is sooo well made and the cherry finish matches our natural cherry table. Similar to PP, my DH is also impressed with the quality. That is such a big thing with him. He hates shoddy wood products. We have cherry with a black cushion and it looks great. I was afraid that DS would get the cushion filthy but it wipes pretty easily. At first DS wasn't crazy about it but we didn't have the cushion in it. Now he loves it. I was afraid that the tray might be too small but so far it's great and he looks so cute in it.

Also like PP mentioned it is sooo easy to clean and DS has been leaning over a lot to look at things that fall. I feel so secure in knowing that it won't tip over. And boy is it light and CUTE!!!

It's worth the money IMO.

Zynnia
Anthony Joseph 8/14/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050814/3/15/0/-5/.png (http://lilypie.com)

schatje1
03-24-2005, 02:44 PM
In the last discussion abou the Svan, I was critical of the fact that it was difficult to clean and we had a hard time getting our very large son in and out ( 95% for height and weight). I rarely used it as a high chair but I wanted to mention that I now LOVE it as a toddler seat. When he turned 1, we removed the infant kit and it is great to have him at the table. In the whole scheme of things it was totally worth it to struggle with the infant kit for 6 months because now he'll still be able to use it for years to come.