PDA

View Full Version : Logistical art question - keeping paper in place on a table

mamarazzo
03-20-2005, 06:38 PM
We have a crayon-loving toddler who currently draws at his little table. I have plans to get an easel, but haven't decided on the right one yet. He hasn't learned how to hold the paper down, so I'm trying to come up with a way to keep paper in place on the table. Giving him a whole pad so far has helped the most, but it also has drawbacks. Tape is out, he just peels it off or pulls up the paper. Sometimes I just sit with him and hold it down for him. A big sheet on the floor works sometimes, but also slides around a bit. Has anyone come up with a good solution?

MR

egoldber
03-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Yes! I recently found the perfect solution at The Container Store. I was there lookingly longingly at the kids Elfa table and I noticed they had two bands on the table to hold the paper on.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=68564&PRODID=72943
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/23172.jpg

You can see them in the picture, one is yellow and one is blue. They sell them at the store for around $1. They work great! We use them for coloring, painting, etc.

I can't find the bands themselves on the site and I have thrown the packages away. If you call a Container Store I am sure they could tell you if you can buy them on-line or not.

FYI, I do not have the Elfa table. I have a plastic table from Ikea and they work fine.

HTH,

Twin Mom
03-20-2005, 09:15 PM
I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I was planning on buying my kids each a plastic clipboard at the dollar store. They had some with smiles, flowers, etc. that I though were cute that could work to hold their paper in place (at least at the top!).

HTH.

jamsmu
03-21-2005, 05:21 PM
what a great idea--and what a great table!

Totally off-topic, but the 2 different colors of the bands are a great way to teach that writing goes from left to right--from yellow to blue. You won't need that trick for a while, but you're set already!

mamarazzo
03-22-2005, 12:59 AM
Beth - That IS a cool idea! Unfortunately my son's table is round, so it probably wouldn't work. Dang. It probably would on the dining table, though, so we could try it there. Thanks for the info!

MR

mamarazzo
03-22-2005, 01:02 AM
A clipboard - why didn't I think of that? Definitely worth a try. Thanks!

MR