PDA

View Full Version : upholstered rocking chair vs. regular upholstered chair

chlobo
03-23-2005, 01:50 PM
I was all set to get my DD the pottery barn anywhere chair (I have a gift certificate so I can sort of justify the expense that way). However, lately, DD really like to rock in my glider (the one I use for nursing). That got me thinking that I should buy a rocker.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Do small kids like rocking chairs?

squimp
03-23-2005, 02:03 PM
My DD loves all chairs her size, but they have different purposes. We have a child's maple rocking chair that she loves (made by great grandpa), but it's more of a toy or ride than a baby barcalounger. She brings her friends into her room so they can rock.

We did see some padded rockers at Ross last week for $30, and DD nearly jumped out of the cart wanting to sit in them.

I bet the anywhere chair would be so great for sitting, "relaxing" (as if there's such a thing for toddlers :)) and reading books - I would get this if I had a gift certificate. I'd love to make a little reading nook for her in our living room.

We also have a little red Ikea chair that she uses at our coffee table for snacks and drawing. That chair also has been a huge hit.

s_gosney
03-23-2005, 11:37 PM
My dd loves to rock in the glider too. She loves anything that rocks! But, like the pp said, I think it is more like a ride or toy to her right now. We ended up getting something similar to the PBK chair though. If she wants to rock in the glider, that's fine. But, for her chair, I wanted her to be able to get in and out on her own, which is definitely more challenging with a rocking chair. Also, the rocking chairs tend to have more sturdy construction (which can be a good thing), but right now my dd is too short to just back up to a chair and sit down like you and I would. She crawls up in it on her knees and then turns around. This wasn't really possible in the rockers I looked at. Some friends of ours whose daughter is a month older than Kylee bought her a rocker for Christmas, but it has to sit against the wall right now so she can get in it.
Just my thoughts...

aim
03-24-2005, 10:38 AM
My DS LOVES to rock and I was considering getting him one of these chairs (in red to match our funiture) - someone else on this board recommended them and they are really reasonably priced. I have not done it yet, but you might want to do a search for the thread about them.

http://www.toddlerock.com/index.htm

Amy
DS 1-14-04

murpheyblue
03-24-2005, 10:48 AM
DD likes to sit in our glider as well. I bought her a small upholstered chair very similar to the PBK one that has a rocking bottom though it's very slight. DD LOVES this chair. It's not a rocking chair per se and I don't think I've ever seen her use it to rock. She just loves to sit in this little chair. I think you'll be really happy with the PBK chair even if it doesn't rock.

August Mom
03-24-2005, 12:00 PM
DS likes to rock, but he also likes to climb. I'd just factor that in if you have a climber because it's obviously far less stable to stand in the seat of a rocking chair than it is to climb on the PBK chair.

squimp
03-24-2005, 12:34 PM
ITA - there are also lots of rocking chairs that are unstable and excited kids can tip them over. A friend has one and her daughter has flipped it several times.

squimp
03-25-2005, 05:23 PM
What chair did you end up getting? I really love the of the PBK anywhere chair, but am having a hard time rationalizing the cost. They are going for near retail on ebay, and the only other soft chair I've seen is the Company Store, similar price! And I admit, I've written off sponge bob for now...

mom2binsd
03-25-2005, 06:07 PM
I ordered an upholstered rocker from www.toddlerock.com, I got to pick a fabric that matched my living room (the green chenille) and DD loves it, she is 22 months. It rocks a little but not as much as a regular rocking chair, and it is well made and so cute! It was 58.00 delivered to my door in 7 days (during Christmas). The company was very helpful in helping me choose fabrics (so many places only have baby fabrics but they have normal colors etc) as it's so hard to judge over the phone. All of our friends who see it have also ordered one- it should fit a child until about 4 years.

Beth

s_gosney
03-25-2005, 09:58 PM
sorry I didn't see this sooner. I found the one we got at Burlington Coat Factory. I hadn't seen them there at our store, but when we were in DFW over spring break, the grapevine mall store had it. Maybe it's just larger stores? Anyway, we had seen it before at Hancock's fabric store, but there it was $100 too. At Burlington, I got it for $60 or 70, I've forgotten which. I can't remember the brand name right now. We threw away the box to be able to fit it in our car for the drive back home. I should have the paper work around here somewhere. I'll try to find it and get back to you.
I know what you mean about spongebob, etc. Kylee loves those little flip out ones at Walmart/Target, but I just can't stand the thought of staring at Dora or Blue's Clues for the next 4 years in my living room.
If you really want the flip out sofa style, rooms to go Kids has one for the same $100 that everyone else wants too.

squimp
03-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Thanks Sherri - I just posted this a.m. so you got back to this fast! I'll look at Burlington the next time I'm up there; it's an hour drive.

chlobo
03-26-2005, 12:11 PM
I haven't gotten anything yet. I'll have to check Burlington Coat Factory. I admit, I have a hard time "paying" $100 for a chair for DD, even if it's using a GC. It's just so hard to decide.

The Toddlerrock chair look cute so maybe that's a possibility.