PDA

View Full Version : What riding toy/bike to get for DS's 1st birthday? Kettler, FP?

KrisM
04-01-2005, 01:17 PM
I would like to get him a riding toy/bike for his birthday this month. I've looked at the Kettler's and like the one at One Step Ahead, especially since there is a 15% code right now. But, it's still expensive. I'm also thinking of the FP Rock, Ride, and Roll, which is much cheaper.

With the Kettler, do kids use it much as a trike? It seems like the 2.5 year olds and up all have small bikes with training wheels, not trikes. So, would I be spending all that money now just to get a push toy for 2 summers?

What do people think of the FP toy? Is the push handle high enough to be comfortable? How long do kids use this?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

cp5
04-06-2005, 08:41 PM
I'm looking for the same information so hopefully someone will respond! I went to TRU yesterday to test a few push cars and found the step 2 push buggy to be really cute and ds loved it but he fits in it now and can't imagine it lasting for too long since he is pretty tall. We also have the Radio Flyer wagon for him which he likes a lot but I think I'm now leaning towards a trike just so he can have it for the long run!

CP

cp5
04-06-2005, 08:41 PM
I'm looking for the same information so hopefully someone will respond! I went to TRU yesterday to test a few push cars and found the step 2 push buggy to be really cute and ds loved it but he fits in it now and can't imagine it lasting for too long since he is pretty tall. We also have the Radio Flyer wagon for him which he likes a lot but I think I'm now leaning towards a trike just so he can have it for the long run!

CP

jpang
04-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Hi,

I decided to forgo the Kettler because I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much money. For DD's first birthday, her grandparents bought her a regular tricycle but she was much too small to ride it (she is currently 31 inches tall-- back then she was probably around 30 inches). We already have one of those push buggies I got through BBB swap, which DD loved, but she also wanted one of her own riding toys.

We found one that has worked great for us: the Little Tykes tricycle. I have looked on the net for a photo and can't find one, but I know it's available at both Toys R Us and Walmart. You have to look in the infant toys section, as it comes in a box. It's a tricycle without peddles: two wheels on the front, one wheel in back. I think the ages are listed as 12 months to 36months. And it's only $25.

DD loves this. It has an adjustable seat which can be moved as she grows taller. She can steer it herself (it has handles like a regular tricycle), and because it doesn't have peddles, she can push it along. I like that she's learning to steer it before she moves to a larger tricycle and has to coordinate the peddling. Also, it has a bunch of confetti within a dome right at the front which whirls around when she touches it (you can turn this feature on or off).

This is great toy for a mobile 1 year old. We recently bought one as a birthday present for a friend's kid.

Hope that helps!

ETA: Here's a photo of DD on her trike, so you can see the trike.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/24107.jpg

mattiew
04-13-2005, 09:20 AM
For our DD's first birthday we bought a Little Tikes Deluxe Cozy Convertible Car; at almost 2.5 she still loves it! I think we'll get a few more years out of it as we have yet to remove the floorboard and push handle so she can "drive" it around by herself.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004SCWA.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

We also have a hand me down "bike" w/out pedals similar to what Janice posted that DD still loves. It looks very much like this only it isn't princess
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008XYON.01._PE26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

We gave DD a Kettler for Christmas (she had just turned 2), she learned to pedal it last weeek and it is now a comfortable fit (on the smallest settings).

Hope this helps!!!
Carrie