PDA

View Full Version : At what age do kids usually learn to pedal a trike?

LucyG
04-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Just wondering when those of you with Kettlers (or other trikes) find that your kids are able to pedal independently. Also, even after they can pedal, is a push bar still a nice feature to have? Are you able to "help" them pedal by pushing from behind? Thanks!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
2 years and counting!

Lynnie
04-03-2005, 10:19 PM
When my guy was two, he couldn't really pedal, he would just straddle the trike and run and make it go flintstone style. I think it was around 2 1/2 when he could pedal himself - not exactly sure, but thereabouts. Never used the push bar with the kettler, cause he never really got the hang of cycling with that. He has favorite tricycles at school, and DH actually bought him a bigwheel type thing which, now that he is almost three, he now rides all over the neighborhood. I will use the pushbar for my one year old, though, so in that respect I think it'll be good to have.

kalebsmama
04-03-2005, 10:30 PM
DS got his for his 2nd birthday and couldn't really pedal that well by himself. By the end of last summer, at 2 1/2, he was doing pretty good but not enough that I was ready to set off on a long walk/ride with him. So far this spring at 3, he is doing great. He can go around the block, or to the playground etc. I still like to have the pushbar even now though since he doesn't always want to keep going when I do! Also, sometimes bumps or hills stop him and he needs a shove to help. I'm actually getting pretty good at pushing my stroller with 1 hand and the trike with the other!

As far as "helping", it does depend on his mood. Sometimes he absolutely doesn't want me to push at all. Those times I just sneak in a quick push to get him moving. If he'll let me, I can push while he pedals, or even tip the trike up a bit and take total control. (I do this since he keeps turning the handlebars and makes it hard to push and he doesn't like it when I lock them straight!)

I'm definitely keeping the pushbar on for now!
HTH!

egoldber
04-04-2005, 09:21 AM
My DD learned to pedal on her own just before age 3. I still find the pushbar helpful, because going uphill is still a little hard for her and I find it very essential for helping to slow her downhill speed. Also, sometimes halfway through a walk, she doesn't want to ride anymore, and without the pushbar, I would have to carry the thing (NOT!) or else bend over and push it home. So we still use the pushbar all the time.

HTH,

kelly ann
04-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Beth-

I didn't think of that. We actually now live on a "hill" out here in Chicagoland (closest thing to a hill out here) so I think we will be leaving our bar on even after DS figures out the pedaling.

lisams
04-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Not yet here, I keep trying to show her, or point out when we see someone on a bike how they are pedaling but she just won't do it, won't even try. Instead she scoots herself along with her feet on the ground. She gets mad when we try to push her from behind so our little tricycle outings take forever (and on the way home I end up carrying the darn thing because she wants to walk, wish we did have a push bar for that reason alone!)!

Lisa

LucyG
04-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks, everyone! We haven't taken the Kettler Plunge yet, but are leaning that way. DD has a small big wheel that she scoots along with her feet, but she can't reach the pedals yet. She wants to ride her "bicycle" all the time, though, so I think she'll really enjoy a trike. And, from what everyone has said, I think we'll look for one with a push bar!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
2 years and counting!