PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Train question

shannonG
04-04-2005, 10:58 PM
I am interested in getting ds a train set for his first birthday and think that he would love the Thomas themed train set. I'm kind of confused since I'm new at this but I have noticed that there are two different kinds...wooden tracks with wooden trains and then a plastic set. When you're talking about the Thomas train sets which are you referring to? Thanks so much in advance!

jubilee
04-05-2005, 02:38 AM
I think many people believe the "gold standard" are the WOODEN Thomas trains and tracks. The wooden ones are the ones that get all the talk here on Baby Bargains. I'm looking forward to Saturday because it's my son's second birthday and he'll get a wooden Thomas set!! :)

LucyG
04-05-2005, 06:43 AM
There are several brands of wooden track that are compatible with the Thomas wooden ones (Brio, Maxim, and maybe more that I'm unaware of). Some of the others may not have cross-ties cut into them like the Thomas ones do, but Thomas trains will run on them just the same. I found a train set at Tuesday Morning that is made by Maxim. The tracks are all wooden, and are compatible with Thomas and Friends trains and track. I took some of each to the store to check before I bought the Maxim set!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
2 years and counting!

August Mom
04-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Generally when people talk about Thomas, they are talking about the wooden set. The plastic sets are in the Take-Along Thomas line. We started with a plastic Take-Along set I got at TJ Maxx. DS liked it. It's portable. However, it's more like a Little People Set than a true train set. The track configuration is limited. You now can buy additional track - that didn't used to be the case. The trains are metal rather than wood and have magnets on both ends that will attach to another train (so you can run a train backwards if you want). Ours has batteries and little sounds if you pull a lever or the train runs over part of a track.

The wooden trains can become as expansive as you and your budget want. At around 2 years+, DS really got into putting the track together and coming up with his own track designs.

I think 1 is a little young for wooden Thomas, but it won't be long after that he'll be able to really enjoy it. It just depends what you want.

shannonG
04-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the responses!! Julie, early Happy Birthday to Logan!! I bet this birthday will be so fun for you and him!! I'm not sure how excited Nathan will be for his first, I can't wait until he's a little older and can appreciate birthdays! I'll be getting the wood Thomas stuff, thanks for the clarification. Since Nathan will be too young to appreciate a whole set tracks and all, I think I'll be getting him a train or two for now. Thanks again! -Shannon