PDA

View Full Version : Splintery Deck

Raidra
04-05-2005, 02:41 PM
We have a deck that we plan to spend a lot of time on this summer. It has a lot of peeling paint and the wood is older so more likely to give splinters. Last summer we had those interlocking foam blocks (with the alphabet on them) on the deck to protect Colwyn from splinters while he played, but they look like crap now.

What would you put on a deck to protect your toddler, and also any other visiting younger kids who may not be walking yet? I know they have outdoor rugs, but I don't want anything that will stay soggy after rain or get moldy.

Thanks!

HeatherW
04-05-2005, 06:40 PM
We have the same problem..there are these great area rugs for outside use, pricey, but worth it. Do you live near a Tuesday Morning store? I believe they have them in stock now 49.00 and up. Also, once I find my other source, I will post again.

chays
04-06-2005, 12:49 PM
We got indoor/outdoor carpet in a color that matches the deck. It has worked out great. Good luck!

jubilee
04-06-2005, 03:18 PM
I also have a bad deck, and a construction friend told me to get a pressure washer and blast it- it supposedly will take off all the splinters (and loose paint). Then you could rent a sander (or maybe you have one already) and just sand it down. That is our plan until we can afford to replace the deck.

kochh2
04-06-2005, 06:54 PM
we too have the same isssue... I have hoped to avoid the outdoor carpet thing, as i have a doog fascinated with tearing up things, especially carpet LOL!! and the dampness is never fun on little knees in the AM! SO maybe we'll try our pressure washer thing, thanks for the suggestions-- I like the foam pad idea too, i guess we could put it away when we're not using it so our Dog doesn't rip that up too... but it would take an awful lot of that to cover a decent sized deck... I hope someone else has a better solution!
:)