PDA

View Full Version : general question about toy "philosophy"

knaidel
04-10-2005, 07:46 AM
I have been reading this forum for a few days now, and I see that many of you try to buy only wooden/"natural" toys for your kids.
Is this beacause you feel that wooden toys are more conducive to intellectual development/creativity, etc?
We don't want our son to grow up to be an over-stimulated kid (ie- has short attention span, etc). I don't know if its really related, but we don't have a television in our home, and don't own any DVDs, partly because we want to encourage more creativity (for when he's older, obviously). For instance, we have a fisher price swing that has flashing lights, (like a disco!!) and it drives me crazy! I don't always want my kid to "need" flashing things to be entertained. I might be totally off-base here, so please correct me if I'm wrong?Is this why many of you don't use plastic toys? Can anyone give me any references for further reading?

papal
04-10-2005, 08:15 AM
Hi,
There was a nice discussion about this a month or two ago.. here is a link:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=30094&mesg_id=30094&page=

brittone2
04-10-2005, 10:54 AM
The discussion that Rashmi so graciously linked should explain it all :)

Not everyone agrees with that philosophy, but there are a few of us here who are wooden toy junkies for a multitude of reasons.