PDA

View Full Version : first birthday gift ideas

momceecers
05-09-2005, 06:18 PM
DD is turning 1 next month and I want to know what everyone thinks is the perfect gift for a one year old. What did you give your little ones?

mattiew
05-09-2005, 08:37 PM
We have a great "walking" neighborhood so we bought the Little Tikes Deluxe Cozy Coupe Convertible; a year and a half later she still loves it!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004SCWA.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

August Mom
05-10-2005, 08:16 AM
I'd do a search in this forum and in the lounge. There have been lots of past threads on this.

We have the Cozy Coupe convertible and DS loves it (he got it for his 1st birthday). The only thing I've been noticing lately as he approaches 3 is that it doesn't seem like there's as much leg room under the car for him to power it as there is in the other LT cars. It may just be DS's technique, but his feet barely move back and forth.

Another popular 1st b-day gift that's been discussed here is a chair for DC. We have the PBK Anywhere Chair and it is really nice. DS likes it, but doesn't sit in it that much anymore. He prefers his table and chair set. My MIL wanted to get table and chairs for DS when he turned 1, but I said no because I was concerned he would climb on them and get hurt.

Others here like wagons for a 1st b-day gift.

Small climbers and sand and water tables are other options.

Smaller items that are hits for the 1-year set are balls - Gertie Balls and O-Balls are really nice and cars/trucks (LT Handle Haulers are good for this age) are a hit. Many like Mega Bloks at this age. DS didn't get into them until he was 2 or so, but some kids like them earlier. Wooden knob puzzles would be good too. Small World Toys and M&D have nice ones. And, board books are always good - I'm a big fan of Karen Katz lift-the-flap books for this age.

Good luck. And, don't stress. Your DD will probably like the wrapping paper and bows more than anything else. :)

momceecers
05-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the posts. I will do a search and check out the older threads. We have two older kids, but its amazing how you forget things. She still seems sooo little. Take care

Cindy

Mamma2004
05-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Cindy, I am in the same predicament and would love to know what you find! We are interested in various "ride on" toys with parental handle but the walker wagon got great reviews. I also love the idea of a rocking horse or something similar since DS is not yet walking. I'm not sure about longevity, though, if you are looking for this first BD present to be extra special. Please keep us (me) posted!

Stephanie

momceecers
05-10-2005, 11:27 PM
I will totally keep you posted. We (I mostly) are looking for something that DD will use for a while and totally love. The rocking horse is a good idea. My older daughter has a horse that my little one loves to sit on and its totally stationary. Hmmmmm decisions decisions.

Cindy

Mamma2004
05-11-2005, 09:20 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion for a 1st birthday present for non-walkers? I have been looking for a special rocking horse or riding toy with parental push bar. Any suggestions for Cindy and me?

Thank you!
Stephanie

sdbc
05-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Well, we joined our neighborhood swim club for Rory which is pretty expensive for us, so I sort of consider that a birthday gift since the pool opening is on her birthday! For her present, I bought a bunch of pool-related stuff--a floating duck for her to sit in, a beach ball, a water-sling, and I will wrap it in a beach bag. The items were not too expensive, but to me the real gift is the quality time we will get to spend splashing around this summer!

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

TahliasMom
05-12-2005, 02:49 PM
we got dd the buggy and little people stuff, a pop up apple thing from brio and xylophone (kidsurplus.com), kitchen sink from sassy for bathtime. the most popular is the buggy and the kitchen sink, the little people (we have the barn, house and parading animals) get tossed around! from family she got clothes and a pink fold up trike from radio flyer which she will have to grown into. from her friends she got the easy store sand and water table from little tikes. we only set up the water part in the kitchen and dd loves splashing around in it. she also got a whole bunch of stuff for the beach (buckets, shovels, rakes, etc.)plus a little elephant pool (target) for the backyard. love it because it comes with a canopy!

I can't seem to paste the pics! sorry

HTH

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/25647.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/25648.jpg

Christeen_Trevor
06-04-2005, 11:48 PM
My dd favorite birthday toys are the radio flyer red wagon from her grandfather and the playskool ball blast from my brother.

Christeen

Lucia
06-05-2005, 02:18 AM
Radio flyer walker wagon!!! He is now two years old and still loves it! Fills it with toys or blocks and pushes it all around the house. This has been one of the longest lasting gifts he's ever gotten and I know future kids and grandkids will also love it...this will be something to pass on.

Another Radio Flyer gift that was a big hit is the wooden bike. Perfect for learning to ride, great for zooming in the house, and like the walker wagon good solid construction and built to pass on.

Have fun and congratulations on her first birthday!

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003