PDA

View Full Version : music together classes?

holliam
05-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Okay, so this takes place outside the house but I couldn't figure out where to put it.

Mari loves music and banging things and we are thinking of bringing her to some very low key dad/mom/me music gatherings.

Does anyone have feedback about this group?

It feels like us..

http://www.musictogether.com/

Holli

pritchettzoo
05-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Do a trial class and see how you like it. If it's anything like Gymboree classes, they vary widely and are dependent on how good the instructor is and how high your tolerance level is (DH called Gymbo the clown cult). ;) Other class members make a big difference too.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

murpheyblue
05-13-2005, 11:34 PM
DD did a series of Music Together classes with my DH who is a SAHD. I agree that they are highly instructor dependent. DD is very active so she didn't seem to enjoy MT as much as Gymboree. It seemed a little too structured for her. But the classes are super popular here and lots of kids were in for their second or third session.

Taking a trial class is a great idea. I think for our session you had two weeks to cancel and get your money back minus something like $10 per class.

jec2
05-14-2005, 12:25 AM
we have them here. I have friends who know our local instructor and I don't think they think she is "all that." However, Finn and I did Kindermusik for about 6 months or so and we loved it. We only stopped b/c his nap schedule and my school schedule got too complicated to fit a class in, otherwise we would still be doing it. It is so much fun and the babies all respond so well and immediately to the class/music.

DebbieJ
05-14-2005, 08:27 AM
My friend who has her Masters in Music swears by MT (over the others).

My sister who has her BA in Music teaches Kindermusik.

So who knows what is better!

I say find a class/day/time that's convenient for you and have fun!

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

Rachels
05-14-2005, 12:45 PM
We do Music Together and LOVE it. I agree that instructors make a big difference, but both of the ones we've used have been wonderful and the classes have been WAY better than Gymboree. The music is great and the program is research-based, so it really does attend to children's musical development. We like it.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

arcoe
05-14-2005, 01:52 PM
I do not go to Music Together (yet), but I have a bunch of friends who go and they have all raved about MT. These same people tried Gymboree's music classes, and at least in our area, there is no comparison. We are going to enroll for the next session. Let us know what you decide :)

Robin
Mom to Lexy (2 1/2) and Lexy's brother/sister due in the fall!

emilyf
05-14-2005, 02:04 PM
We've taken this 3 times and ds just loves it. I have signed up for other things just for variety but we keep coming back to music together-I feel like he gets much more out of it than the gym class or other things we have done. He still likes to sing songs we learned over a year ago when he was only 1- the music is wonderful I think.

Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

holliam
05-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Thanks, gals! I knew you would know. :)

We signed up for a session starting at the end of June. Mari will be almost 10 months then, and I think she and daddy will just have a ball.

Just the "vibe" of MT felt more like us than Gymboree classes or Kindermusik so I am hoping it works out!

I think there are two instructors in our area so I am trying the one with a web page first. LOL

Holli

luckymom
05-15-2005, 05:30 AM
We've been going for about two months now, and my 9 month old loves it. We did a trial class at 5 months, and he wasn't quite ready for it, so we waited a couple of sessions. We also tried a Kindermusik class, which I really didn't care for at all. I really enjoy the fact that the music together program is much less of a commercial machine than both Kindermusik and Gymboree, and there is some serious thought and research behind the program. As a classically trained musician, it is nice to see how much thought goes into the CD's/program, such as pitch development, rhythm exercises, etc, and the older kids really seem to "get it". For the babies, I'm not sure how much it all really matters at this point, he just loves the maracas/drums/scarves/ and sitting under the parachute. We listen to the CD in the car which he loves. For me, both the instructor, and the other mommies do make a big difference, let's face it - a big part of these classes with the babies is the social aspect for the moms! I think every instructor does things differently, ours does mostly mixed age classes, which I did the first couple of weeks with Theo, and then we switched into the "babies"class, which is all 9 - 15 months or so. The babies class was much better for us.

hope it helps
karen

happymom2b
05-27-2005, 10:23 PM
"Helloooo Everybody...." My 6 mo. DS LOVES music together!! We sing the songs in the car all the time. I also believe the success of the class depends on your instructor. I have met 8 other wonderful women and now we do playgroups! MT is a great concept!

teddy
05-28-2005, 10:07 PM
"...we're so glad to see you!"

We loved our MT class as well! My DD was the oldest in the class this past spring (2 years old) and her brother was the youngest (2.5 months when we started). There were a few kids between the 2 ages. My DD loved being the oldest and biggest kid for once and the teacher really encouraged her to express herself. And DS liked watching all the other kids. It was a great experience.

cvharris
05-29-2005, 01:08 PM
We have gone since Ben was six months old and we love it! Our instructor is awesome, and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Ben loves to sing and dance and has good rhythm, and I attribute that all to this class. It's been a great experience for us.

Carolee and Ben (6/03)

mharling
05-29-2005, 10:28 PM
We love MT (same instructor as Carolee)!!!! We have been doing it since Lane was about 6 months old. I was apprehensive about it being mixed ages, but that's one of my favorite things now. It is so fun to watch the different ways that different ages participate and all ages seem to enjoy each other.

Let us know it goes, Holli. I hope Mari loves it!!!

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005