PDA

View Full Version : Signing Time Vol. 4-6 - what do you think of it?

Java
05-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Kael loves vol. 1-3 so I'm thinking of getting him 4-6.

What do you think of it? Is it as good as the first first set? He's 19 months so I'm thinking maybe he'll start talking more rather than signing so maybe I shouldn't get them...? He's learing 2 languages in addition to signing - is that too much? MIL worries that he's signing more than he talks and wants me to stop signing with him. I do notice that he's not as verbal as some peers but I'm trying to not be overly concerned as his ped said he'll catch up later.

What do you think? And lastly, are there any good deals out there?

DebbieJ
05-17-2005, 04:39 PM
I like vols 4-6 better than 1-3. Production quality is much higher.

DS doesn't seem to notice, though. He loves them all.

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

murpheyblue
05-17-2005, 04:56 PM
I like STs volumes 4-6 and DD enjoys them as well. They are different than the first three though. The format is the same but things are grouped by concpet more than the first three volumes. Volumes 4 and 6 are more advanced and slightly faster than 1-3. For example, they talk about feelings and colors and extended family which I think are more advanced concepts than tangible objects. Volume 5 which is the alphabet is more advanced and goes very fast. We rarely show that one though I learned a tonof signs watching it.

All in all, I'm a big fan of all the STs videos. 4-6 took a little getting used to for me because they were slightly different. DD loves them all though.

As far as deals, I've always found www.mommysthinking.com has the best price on the 3 volume set and shipping is free.

babymama
05-17-2005, 05:13 PM
We have V. 4-6, and have thusfar not shown them to DS. IMO the pace of images and words and songs in V. 4-6 is much too fast for DS. It's much flashier. Also Alex and Leah are not the stars of V. 4-6, Rachel is.

So, I'm hanging on to them bc I think eventually DS will be able to handle the pace of these. I watched portions of each and they made me feel like I was ADD, so for the moment, I'm not allowing DS to watch.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

Java
05-17-2005, 10:53 PM
> I watched portions of each
>and they made me feel like I was ADD

LOL! I definitely don't want that for Kael - I already have my hands full as it is!

Kael's catching on pretty quick - he started signing some signs after watching the videos just once. Mom on the other hand had to watch it a few more times to remember what the heck he's telling me.

I think I'll order just 4 and 5 - I don't see how he'll need to sign me the alphabet.

Thanks ladies!

Pipersmamma
05-18-2005, 07:29 AM
Just another opinion... Get the set!
DD doesn't sign me the alphabet, but watching it has really helped her learn the ABC's. She turns 2 on Saturday and already knows all the ABC's. She can identify any capital letter and sing the ABC song. I know she really picked up this knowledge from the video. She loves watching with me and since her recent alphabet obsession, it has become a favorite along with Leep Frog's Letter Factory. It's cheaper to get the set, plus you get the audio cd of the songs which is great for the car. I think the faster pace is fine for your sons age. We got them when DD was 19 months and she picked up the signs just as well as vol 1-3 which we started at 12 months.

brittone2
05-18-2005, 08:48 AM
We don't use Signing Times, but I wanted to chime in and say if your DS is signing, don't worry about it affecting his language. I worked as a pediatric physical therapist before DS was born and all of the speech therapists I worked with taught me a lot on the topic. Signing only enhances language development, and any "good" pediatrician should count signs just like they would count words. The important thing is the connection is there and they understand how to communicate and get what they want/need. As long as they are making that connection, they are doing fine. It is important for the parent to SAY the word as they do the sign, it isn't anything to worry about :) I never encountered a speech therapist who said otherwise...so keep signing ;)

I have heard speech therapists say that using more than one language in the home (I think this is more in reference to bilingual parents...not sure if that is your case or if you are doing a language program like Muzzy) can actually cause a child to speak later. When kids have speech delays, they tend to recommend sticking to one language in the home. If your child isn't delayed, I don't think it is necessarily problematic though. If you don't think Kael has any delays in speech, then I would probably keep doing what you are doing. This is just something I've heard from speech therapists over the years when we've done evaluations together, etc. I don't know the details or if there are studies supporting that...perhaps it is only anecdotal...I have no idea.

I think as long as you know that they might speak a bit later, but that they'll be bilingual/trilingual....you'll be fine. MY DH's boss is German and they speak only German at home and their son speaks English at daycare. His language was a bit delayed, but they understood why. ONce he really started talking though, he knew both languages and spoke very well :)

Holli on here has a background in language development I think. Maybe she knows more on the topic, I just wanted to throw out there what I've heard from the speech therapists I've worked with through the years in case you are curious :)

I had this discussion with my pediatrician at DS's 12 month checkup. At that time he was saying 1-2 words and signing "more" and "all done." She told me that she had a friend who signed with her daughter several years ago, and the child would sign at 2 years of age rather than saying certain words. The ped was basically trying to tell me it might delay DS's speech development. I didn't even get into it with her but she didn't seem very knowledgable about it. She just knew this happened to her one friend...and of course, ONE person is not exactly a great statistical sample ;)

I took DS back for his 15 month appt a few days before he turned 15 months and they asked how many words he was saying. He was up to about 20-25 at the time, and signing an additional 4 words or so. I guess that threw her little theory out the window ;)

Java
05-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Beth,

Thanks for your post. I don't think Kael's speech is delayed - his vocabulary is probably in the range of 30-40 words (both Vietmanese and English, possibly more) and signing on top of that. I was thinking about this last night and I realized it's because he's not verbal around peers and folks who aren't family. He understands more than he speaks, definitely. If I say something and he doesn't seem to understand, then I switch languages and he usually gets it then. Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing this bilingual thing wrong. He should understand both languages, shouldn't he?

DH speaks all English to Kael, MIL speaks all Vietnamese and I do both so there's a middle ground. I think the Vietnamese is winning, much to DH's dismay - hehee.

Thanks again everyone - I can't wait to get 4-6!

2kids
05-19-2005, 09:24 AM
I recently ordered from www.preciouspersonalities.com as someone on here suggested. I couldn't find a lower price and get free shipping. And I think the owner is on these boards (?) and I like supporting wahms.

Anyway, we love both sets. I recommend the whole set. You need to know the letters to do some of the signs in volumes 4 and 6 so it makes sense (for the parents, too). And, while a little one may not need the abcs now, its a really fun one with a fun, repetitive song and you'll have it for later. Our toddler likes volume 6 best with the rainbow song and knows all the colors. Plus, you save money gettting them all at one time.

I would ignore your mils concerns. I think there is a lot of value in learning to sign. I've heard the concerns that he's using it as a crutch, too. But come on! that's a lot to learn. Plus he understands when you talk--which is a big deal!!! just show her some of the massive research out there to prove you are doing the right thing.

brittone2
05-19-2005, 12:05 PM
He doesn't sound delayed in speech to me either :) I think you are handling the bilingual aspect of things perfectly fine :) If he were delayed it miht help to limit yourslves to one spoken language and signing at home, but since he's on target i'd keep doing what you are doing!! At least that's my honest opinion based off of what i've heard from the speech therapist i've worked with over the years :)

Judegirl
08-05-2005, 02:00 AM
Lydia, I know I'm late on this, but I wanted to say I'm SO glad you posted this! That's exactly what I was afraid of! I get concerned about the speed of the images in 1 & 2 s it is, so now I know to stay away from 4-6. Thank you.

Jude

californiagirl
08-05-2005, 12:26 PM
I don't do speech development, but my father's a linguist, so I know lots of people who do child language research. They will all tell you the same thing: Signing is GREAT for language development. Signs are words, and kids who sign have bigger vocabulary and more complex speech (they use two-word sentences early, for instance). Kids who sign may choose to use signs for some words that they otherwise might have spoken words for, but that's not a language delay. Personally, watching DD, I think if she doesn't say the word it's because she can't; if she can, she will at least approximate it.

Remember that some kids don't talk until age 2 anyway, so there's no knowing if a late talker who also signs would have spoken more, or just would have had fewer tools to communicate.

Being bilingual is very likely to slow down speech some. This is not a problem. I repeat, speech delays due to a bilingual environment are NOT a sign that anything is wrong. It
is not a good idea to try to make a monolingual environment so that the baby will speak earlier, because bilingual kids speak later but have better language skills when they catch up.

mudder17
08-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Or you can get it at www.preciouspersonalities.com and support one of our BBB-WAHMs. :) It's the same price.

I just ordered 4-6, so I'm glad to know I can use 4 and 6 right away.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 17 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

mom to little e
08-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Eileen,
Just wanted to let you know that at 20 months, Ean became ADDICTED to ST 4-6 and loves the ABC vol 5, too. He is very much into letters right now and seems to like it just as much as the others. As a momma who is really trying to limit television viewing, he really seems like he can't get enough. Thank goodness they are good quality and songs are not annoying (can't tell you how many times I have had "Do you know the colors of the rainbow" stuck in my head!!)

We really do love all of the volumes (1-6) and with expecting DD in Jan, we probably may even buy the Baby Signs editions, too.

Does anyone know if these are new signs or just a different format? (that would help me decide as I haven't researched them yet).

Maryann
Momma to Ean...the little love of my life!
AND Baby #2 EDD 01/08/06!

babymama
08-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Jude -

Your little one may get to a point where they are bored with the slower images. Or bored with watching the same 3 dvds over and over again.

That happened to us. Actually, it was funny to go back and read this bc now DS watches volumes 4-6 regularly.

I do worry about the fast paced nature - not that he won't absorb the info, but more about what it's doing to his attention span. Same is true for many of the PBS shows he occassionally watches like Sesame Street and Dragon Tales.

I might just be overly sensitive on this, though.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/06

Judegirl
08-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Right now, she only watches one video, and only once in awhile, about once every week on average, sometimes weeks without watching it at all. And she watches no television at all, so I don't think she's going to be bored anytime soon...anything on the tv is a big treat for her.

So I'm pretty sensitive to it, too. :)

Best,
Jude