PDA

View Full Version : Baby Aquaphor vs. Aquaphor

SpaceGal
05-17-2005, 08:44 PM
I finally broke down and bought a big tub of Aquaphor for DS since his skin was just so dry and seems like Gerber baby wash and Aveeno make him breakout.

Of course with my luck I bought regular Aquaphor and opened it...then found Baby Aquaphor later at Babies R Us.

Are these two the same product?? I figured they shoudl be since all the free sample I got in diaper bags and stuff were regular Aquaphor...or is Baby Aquaphor better?? I feel a bit unsure and thought I'd ask the experienced mommies.

MarisaSF
05-17-2005, 08:51 PM
I honestly don't know the difference (sorry, since that was your question!:)), but I do know that you are fine using the "regular" one. I bet they're the same really. I haven't looked at what the baby one claims it does differently, but I bet it's just marketing.

We have both Aquaphor "Original Ointment" and Aquaphor "Healing Ointment" and I can't detect a difference between those.

alexsmommy
05-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Is the baby version scented maybe? I know other brands that do this, which I find ironic since scent can cause irritation. We just used the industrial size vat of regular.
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

Java
05-17-2005, 10:47 PM
FYI - you can get a big tub of regular aquaphor at Costco for $12.45. They used to sell the Healing ointment in 3.5 ounce tubs but have stopped. At least at my Costco. It's sold at the pharmacy and you have to call it in (special order).

Kael's cheeks got very chapped - looked cracked and patchy - and for some reason, using Aquaphor didn't seem to help much. It was better, but still very dry. Last week he stayed in the sun too long and got a little pink so I used aloe vera gel - and his face is now soft and supple again! Now I use aquaphor as a barrier ointment for diaper changes and aloe vera for his face.

And I agree with the PP - I think the regular and the baby stuff are the same, just marketed differently.

lisams
05-17-2005, 11:27 PM
I believe the baby aquaphor is lightly scented. I actually prefer the regular aquaphor for DD, I try to stay away from products that are scented since they seem to irritate DD's skin.

Lisa

tigalig
05-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Have you considered changing soaps? We use Dove (liquid) and it's awesome. Every time I use something else, our ds breaks out. We have tried Aquaphor, but like Eucerin better. I just thought I'd mention that because some folks prefer one over the other and we're definitely on the Eucerin side. HTH!

bricorssk
05-18-2005, 01:59 PM
I have both kinds and swear they are exactly the same
HTH
Corina
SAHM of 4

SummerBaby
05-19-2005, 11:26 AM
The only difference is that Baby Aquapfor is more than twice the cost! The ingredients are exactly the same and DD has always been fine with the regular stuff, even though she has very sensitive skin and eczema.

BTW- I've found this to be true with many things labled "baby." I always check the ingredients.

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

jamiegirl
07-19-2005, 03:47 AM
DD had to see a pediatric dermatologist for her eczema and she recommended that we use Dove bar soap (unscented) and just regular petroleum jelly. She said Aquaphor has a thinner consistency (so it's not so sticky and "heavy) but they work the same way.

DD's skin is now smooth, soft and nice :-)

Also, I read (might be Dr. Sears book) that liquid soaps are even more "drying" so better to use bar soaps on our babies.

Jamie
DD Marcia 4/5/05

Sarah1
07-19-2005, 07:20 AM
They're the same--I have bought both! Aquaphor is a staple in this household. I keep a huge tub by my bedside and put it on my hands and lips at night. I don't use it so much on DD anymore, but I'm sure when the new baby comes I'll be going through a lot more of it again!