PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have the Discovery/Evenflo..Thought I knew what High Chair I wanted but...

baby feta
05-28-2005, 10:41 PM
This is our first baby due in August. I've read this web site many times and everyone seems to like the FP High Chair. I went to BRU to either register for FP or Baby Trends but when I talked to the saleswoman who was extremely help and knowledgeable she pointed something.
1. She explained that the stationary bar that keeps kids in the seat from slipping does become uncomfortable for some children.
2. The Discovery/Evenflo high chair does have the removeable bar. It also reclines and folds nicely. As does the BT.
3. The D. also comes with an extra dishwasher tray as do the others.
4. I like the fact that the HC it is mocha and not white.
M question is does anyone have the Discovery HC?

August Mom
05-29-2005, 12:17 PM
I don't have the Discovery, but did you happen to measure the distance between the back of the tray and the seat back? The reason I ask is because I tried DS in a couple of Evenflos and they were huge. He was so far away from the tray it was ridiculous. The FP Healthy Care fit him nicely, but DH was worried about the crotch post being too tight for DS. We would up with something completely different that what I was thinking about originally - the Combi Easy Glider. My mom got the FP Healthy Care. I really like it. The crotch post issue was neer a problem. Also, depending on your child, he/she may not use the high chair that long. Although there are some happy 2 year olds using their high chairs, many kids boycott the high chair before that and want a booster to sit at the table like at big boy/girl.

So, I guess I'm saying that I wouldn't spend an exorbitant amount, I wouldn't plan in your DC using the highchair for years and years and I would be more concerned about how the chair fits an infant rather than a toddler.

Hopefully someone can comment about the Evenflo specifically for you.
I obsessed about finding the perfect high chair for a long time and in retrospect it wasn't worth the time I put into it.

MelissaTC
05-29-2005, 12:21 PM
I agree with the PP. We had the FP chair for DS (it is 3 years old now) and he fit perfectly in it. We tried other chairs when we went to playgroup, etc.. and they were all huge. One time, he had to sit in a Peg Perego chair and the poor baby couldn't reach his food! Same goes for the Evenflo chair. He sat in his high chair for about 18 months or so before moving to a booster seat at the table.

baby feta
06-01-2005, 09:17 AM
WEll, I should of just listen to this message board to being with. I'm going to re-register with my first choice the FP. I'm not crazy about it being white but oh well. My friend register for the Baby Trend which is mocha, now I like that color. But color is not the issue it is function.

Thanks,
Baby Feta

hobokenmom
06-01-2005, 10:47 AM
I know I'm adding a comment about a completely different highchair than the ones you're considering, but there are certainly more choices in fabrics/designs in the Graco.

I posted a few days ago about how much I love my Graco highchair. If you do a search for graco harmony, I'm sure it would come up.

It's important for me how close the tray comes to the baby's tummy because you don't want too much food falling down, and the graco has a curved tray that comes pretty close. It's so easy to clean, and I haven't had any quality issues whatsoever. I had read mixed reviews prior to getting mine, but I went with it anyway because I didnt' feel it was a huge investment or anything.

Good luck!

rohans mommy
01-14-2007, 11:32 PM
I just bought the Evenflo Majestic Discovery in portebello. I think it really depends on the size of your baby.
I just took the very beautiful FP Rainforest high chair back to the store because it only just fits my baby (who's 9 months and in the 97% for height). :( Fyi, he is 30.5 inches tall and 23 pounds.
Sadly, there was no extra slack left on the shoulder straps, and the straps were on the highest slot on the seat back, which was lower than his shoulders and even then, it was almost too tight. Also, trays 1st notch seemed a little close for him, but there is one more further notch. Basically, I can see that he was going to grow out of it soon and I needed him to use it until 2 years since our dinning table is useless. Also I needed it as a 2nd chair to lounge in since we have all hardwood floors. He is very comfortable hanging out in the Baby Trends at daycare. So I went back to get either the Evenflo or the Baby Trends.
Here's my pluses and minuses for all 3 chairs after trying them.
FP Rainforest high chair (99$)
PROS:
Really really well thought out design and good construction.
The toy is really excellent and hooks on very tight to the tray.
Very easy to clean chair pad, looks like cloth, feels almost like cloth but its vinyl! Its a cute pattern without looking silly (very Pixar looking).
Very easy tray release.
Post is on seat, not tray (which I like).
If my son wasn't so tall, I would keep the FP rainforest high chair!
CONS:
Only the back reclines, unlike the Baby Trends, so not too great for lounging only feeding (I was looking for both). My son wasn't comfortable with the recline, would only sit for feedings.
Non adjustable footrest so my baby's feet hang, but he didn't seem to mind at all.
A little complicated to put together but not difficult.
Too small for my 9 month child: more narrow in the thigh area compared to others, short straps, low slots for the straps. He's head wasn't centered on the cute soft 'infant pillow', it was already too short.
Evenflo Majestic Discovery high chair in Portebello($99)
PROS:
Much taller, with low and high slots, and longer straps.
More space in the seat and between the tray.
Adjustable footrest.
Very nice chair pad, matches my decor, also like the mocha color plastic, like you said.
Lots of storage on the chair: in the back and it has these slide out 'parent organizers' off the tray.
It also has a snack tray, like a stroller snack tray, which is what the post is attached to and has to be snapped on before the actual tray.
The toy is nice, my son like it but not as much as he loved the FP rainforest toy

CONS:
Not well thought out design, though it has all the bells and whistles.
The 'parent organizer' slide-outs on the tray stick, one comes out, the other only 1/2 way!?
The toy has a suction cup to attach to tray but the tray design is kinda bumpy and the suction doesn't work. :( So we have to supervise him playing with it or he drops it on the floor (and its electronic and heavy).
The one hand release on the tray sticks compared to FP, although the 2 hand release works the same way. Also a very strange tray, with alot of compartments, but the side ones are triangular or weird shapes. Not sure how useful those are.
It takes up more floor space than the FP or baby trends.
Chair pad is softer than FP but to wash you throw in the washing machine, I prefer wipe off like FP.
It was a real bugger to put together. Its essentially the same construction as the FP but at some point you have to literally jam the back of the seat on the base and to do that you have to bend the plastic. Once you do, it snaps into place but... the instructions weren't clear at all. fyi: The tabs for the back have to go in FRONT of the seat base tabs to work.
EDIT: Hmmm...o_mom,
Mine DOES have a 5 point harness, and its definitely mocha plastic, not off white, perhaps mine is a different model than yours?
The pattern on mine is called Portebello, its brand new. I just bought it last week at BRU. Its brown plaid with a tiny line of orange, reminds me of Chicco styling. And the toy is a gigantic green lilypad panel with buttons and a fishy toy, a turtle and a bead loop.

Baby Trends High Chair
My baby has already used this chair in daycare and he loves to sit in it since he was 2 months. However, they told me that many of the other children at daycare won't sit in it at all, so YMMV.
PROS:
Comes fully assembled.
The deepest, widest seat of the 3 high chairs, the 3 year olds at daycare use it.
The whole seat reclines back, like a rocker, unlike the others where just the back reclines like an airplane seat. My son doesn't like just his back reclining on the FP and evenflo.
The seat height adjustment goes the lowest of the 3, close to the floor even. When my baby was 2-3 months and couldn't sit, they would sit him in it like that so he could play with the toys on the floor and sit with the other kids for storytime and games.
Built like a tank.
Check which Baby Trend you buy, some patterns are cloth, some are vinyl, and some come with extra chair pads or are reversible.
The newest one at Target online in Beige Leatherette is a modern looking Peg Perego clone and very easy to clean!
CONS:
The deep wide seat, some kids hate it.
Ugly blando styling on all the models at BRU, compared to Evenflo and definitely worse than FP rainforest.
Some of the models have seat pads made of cloth (on clearance for $35 at BRU if you see them) ! These have to be line dried! Useless... The one at daycare is cloth, a thin fabric, and has faded with all the washing. The FP rainforest pad a soft clothlike vinyl will last forever. Evenflo's cloth material is more durable even, like canvas. The newer Baby Trends are vinyl.
Heavy heavy tray that's a bit of a struggle to slide on. That was my deal breaker.
Also the tray is high, test before you buy.
No bells and whistles, toys etc.
Straps are not as wide as the others, so seem flimsy to me, this may have changed on the new vinyl models.

Hope this helps someone! :)

o_mom
01-15-2007, 08:21 AM
We have the FP Healty Care and they have never minded the post in front. We used it to about 18-20 months with both boys and never had a problem with them fitting in it, height, width or depth.

Ours came in an "off white" (don't think I'd call it Mocha), but we got it at Target 3 years ago, so I'm not sure if they make any that color anymore.

Looks like the Evenflo only has a 3 pt harness. I love the 5 pt harness on the FP chair, especially when we used it as a booster(no tray).