PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Water Tower figure 8 set..what else?

neeter
05-30-2005, 04:43 PM
hi ladies! i used a 50% coupon today at ac moore and got the thomas water tower figure 8 set. ds is starting to show an interest in trains, so i thought i'd slowly pick up some of these goodies using any 50% off deals when available for his 2nd birthday or xmas. anyway, i'm very new to thomas, so i'm wondering what else works well with this set? its hard to figure out (there's a little builders yearbook in the set, but it doesn't feature this particular water tower set.)

thanks for any recommendations!

August Mom
05-30-2005, 06:45 PM
We started with the Conductor's Figure 8 Set, very similar to the Water Tower Set. Once we added the Figure 8 Expansion Set, we had tons more options. Right now we have the Figure 8 set, the Figure 8 Expansion Set, 1 package of Bumpy Track, 1 package of Wacky Track and the covered bridge (which has 2 risers and 2 pieces of ascending track). We can make all kinds of layouts with that assortment. I'm so-so on the covered bridge, actually. Early on it was hard for DS to push trains through it. He constantly knocked it down and it was frustrating. We also have the stone bridge (came with the Conductor's Figure 8 set) and I think it is a better bridge for little ones. Also, I don't think the Bumpy Track is anything special. The Wacky Track is really nice because it gives you options in getting your configurations to connect up.

If your DS is around 2, I think the Figure 8 set alone will be fine. We added the other stuff at around 2.5.

neeter
05-31-2005, 03:50 AM
Thank you for your post! So I should keep an eye out for the Figure 8 Expansion Set and maybe Wacky Track? I think there's a covered bridge in this set already. Thanks again!!!

August Mom
05-31-2005, 07:27 AM
That's my recommendation. I think you are right, there is a covered bridge in your Figure 8 set. DS likes it now, it was just challenging when younger.

neeter
05-31-2005, 08:07 AM
Thanks - oops I didnt mean covered bridge, i meant something like the stone bridge. Thanks again!!!

VenusElon
05-31-2005, 08:21 AM
I would start collecting trains and videos and books. The best bet is Costco or BJs for the DVD and train for 12.99. Right now there are two 60th Anniversary stes-one with a gold Thomas and Songs from the Station with a silver Percy. The main characters are Thomas, Percy, James, and Harold the Helicopter. That's all I would get at first-then add more when he asks for something in particular. All of the Best of videos are good-Best of Thomas, Best of James, Best of Gordon-etc. My guy personally loves the three song video/DVDs the best-buy some kids don't like the songs. THe two old ones are Sing-Along Songs and Trackside Tunes, and the new one is SOngs from the Station. And we have tons of books-mostly from yard sales since Thomas has been around so long-but also check Ross and Marshalls for the books and videos.

Venus