PDA

View Full Version : how old for sand box?

holliam
05-31-2005, 10:22 AM
DH thinks we should get a sand box this summer, but I think she is too young. She'll be 9-12 months this summer. She's pretty steady leaning against things but I don't think she is ready for a sand/water table for sure.

But, she could easily sit in a sand box but not sure if she will just try to eat it or get any entertainment.

I thought we should wait until next year, but I said I'd ask you all!

Holli

Lynnie
05-31-2005, 10:35 AM
My 13 month old still eats most of the sand when we go to the beach... and the fact that he doesn't eat it constantly like he used to is actually pretty exciting. I guess it would depend on the child, as I have read posts from people who had small ones in sandboxes, but from my experience with my little guy, I would tend to agree with you.

dules
05-31-2005, 10:37 AM
IMO she's too young. My DD didn't stop trying to taste everything she picked up until around 15 months. Of course it depends on the child.

On my "other" mama's board there are some moms in warmer climates who started their kids with the Step 2 water table at just about a year(last winter). You could try that, or just get a sand and water table but only put water in it this year.

Best,
Mary

amp
05-31-2005, 02:11 PM
DS got a sandbox for his 1st birthday. He loved it! He is better able to use it this year, but he definitely had fun at a year old! FWIW, he never did eat the sand.

MelissaTC
05-31-2005, 02:43 PM
I agree with you Holli. I would get a sand and water table and only use water. Or fill it with different things like pudding, whipped cream, etc.. so she can play and be safe if it happens to go into her mouth. :)

Christeen_Trevor
06-04-2005, 11:11 PM
My dd is 13 months old and she loves the sand. I would like to get her a sandbox for our backyard. We live 30min from the beach and we have been twice this month so far.

We live in the Clear Lake area of TX

Christeen

new_mommy25
06-05-2005, 04:29 AM
We've been going to the beach (giant sandbox, lol) since Noah was about 9 months and he's never tried to eat the sand. I guess all babies are different. You know Mari best. Noah did get a small sandbox from a friend for his first birthday and it was and still is a big hit. It was the Little Tikes turtle sandbox. He still plays with it daily almost a year later and we are planning to get him a really big one for his 2nd birthday. We've decided on the hexagon model from Hearthsong.

A pp mentioned getting a S&W table and just putting in water. Another alternative would be too just get a water table. We have one from Step 2 and DS loves it. However we just got it last week so I don't know how he would have done with it a year ago. http://tinyurl.com/dhxus We got the table since we already had a sandbox. We have them side by side and it works great.

HTH,

Saartje
06-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Ishie's never been in a sand box yet, but we stopped at the beach during his first birthday bike ride. He had a good time picking up handfuls of sand and letting it run out of his fist, and he didn't try to eat it at all, but I don't think he enjoyed it enough that a sandbox would be worthwhile for several more months yet. He liked it, but he'd have had as much fun in a bath or playing on the grass across the bike path.

We did find sooo much sand in his diaper when we changed him next, though. :p

holliam
06-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Okay, so I'll update you all. I stood her next to the Step 2 sand and water table, and she is just too short for it. She can steady herself and cruise along it but she just isn't tall enough to be able to really reach inside. We tried her kneeling and sitting next to it without the legs on it too, and I just think we'd be better off waiting until next year.

But, we did buy the Step 2 little ladybug sand box.. where is the eyerolling smiley? How did this big little piece of plastic end up in our car? *sigh* But, it's nice and small and probably just right to introduce her to sand.

Holli