PDA

View Full Version : Kettler footrest - How important for a two-year old?

LucyG
05-31-2005, 01:54 PM
I know for sure that she won't be able to completely reach the pedals yet, but if we have the auto-freewheel feature (where you can keep the pedals from spinning as you push), do we really need a footrest? Will it work for her to halfway put her feet on the pedals, or to just let them dangle, until she can reach all the way? Thanks!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
2 years and counting!

zuzu
05-31-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm sure it depends on the child, but we only used our footrest the first year we had it (when Sarah had just turned one) and sometime over that summer we stopped using it because she seemed to prefer to either put her foot or feet on the pedal(s) or dangle them without dragging. Sarah turned two earlier this month, and we've been using the trike all spring without the footrest. Sarah is on the shorter side (just under 32 inches now), but I'm not sure if that's a factor.

HTH,
Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

LucyG
05-31-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks, Melissa! That's good to know. My DD is right at 31", and she definitely can follow directions like, "Keep your feet on the pedals," (when she so choses to, LOL!), so I think we can probably get by without the footrest. I suppose we could always add one later when we use the trike with future children.

2 years and counting!

zuzu
05-31-2005, 03:02 PM
You're welcome. If it would be easier to get one at a later date if you need it than to return it if you don't, I'd say skip it.

Sarah was generally pretty good about about keeping her feet on the pedals (or at least keeping them from dragging), but whenever her feet started to drag, I'd stop pushing until she put her feet back up. She learned pretty quickly. ;) Luckily, we haven't had any problems with that this year at all.

Good luck!
Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

August Mom
05-31-2005, 03:26 PM
We've never had the footrest and it's never been a problem. We got the trike when DS was 18 months or so.

vikivoly
05-31-2005, 05:33 PM
I would skip it for a 2 year old. My 2 1/2 year old still uses it, but I don't think she needs it and I'm going to be removing it some time this summer.

eb1
05-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Another vote for skipping it. We gave our DS his Kettler for his first birthday and my DH had felt we didn't need the footrest, so I skipped ordering it. We've been using the Kettler on a daily basis ever since we gave it to DS, and at first he was getting his feet caught in the wheel (edited to add, I'm not sure the footrest would have prevented that anyway!). DH just adjusted the trike frame to the longest size, so DS's feet couldn't reach the wheel anymore. Problem solved.

He just dangles his feet and is fine, and he's only 14 months.

However, on a sort of related note, we have the Air Navigator and the auto-freewheel feature has been broken since day one. The pedals always spin. I finally called Kettler and they're shipping me a replacement wheel/pedals unit. So when we have the pedals that will not spin, I will probably adjust the frame to see if DS wants to rest his feet on the pedals.

I do know that if the child puts much pressure on the pedals, however, they will start spinning.

ellies mom
06-01-2005, 12:12 AM
Well, I think I'm going to be the only vote for getting the footrest. We were trying out a trike in the store and DD's feet kept getting twisted up (not with the pedal, but the ground). Kind of hard to explain what I mean. At anyrate, it made me very nervous about the whole tricycle thing. One of the big reasons I'm considering a Kettler is because I can get the footrest. I'd be much happier knowing her feet are up out of the way.

houseof3boys
06-01-2005, 08:44 AM
Ryan (two next week) has never used his footrest. He likes to have his feet dangle. I wouldn't get it again if I had to order all over.

LucyG
06-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the helpful opinions, everyone! I decided not to get the footrest. If we need it later, I can always order one then. Of course, instead of just saving the money by not getting the footrest, I decided to get the wire basket and bell to go with her trike.:-)

2 years and counting!