PDA

View Full Version : Getting baby to sleep

jastinker
06-02-2005, 02:41 AM
I hope I am in the right forum and if not, Sorry! My 13mos DD does not want togo to sleep period, naps and nighttime too. Sometimes she falls asleep while drinking her bottle. Ithen burp her and put her in her crib and all is well, these tmes ore getting rarer and rarer. I reall want to put her on some semblance of a schedule and have no idea where to turn. My attempts at doing solo have been a disaster. Any books that could help would mean so much. One other thing, I know there are book out there that reccommend letting them cry themselves to sleep. That wouldn't work for our DD, she would be up until 3 o'clock in ht AM playing away in her crib utterly exhausted, but refusing to goto sleep for fear she may miss something. When she was an infant she would ALWAYS put herself to sleep. Then at about 7 months she became pretty ill and could only go to sleep with somone holding her. This lasted several months befroe they diagnosed her with severe Gastric Reflux, repeateed respiritory infections, etc. By the time they ot all of the meds figured out, she could no longer go to sleep on her own.

So please ANYONE who has read a book or heard of a method for putting DD to sleep byherself, and getting her on a good schedule., please share. It would be so wonderful to have a life back!

Thanks,
Lisa

PS. Sorry for the typos I am so sleep deprived right now, 3rd night in a row I haven't been able to get to bed befroe 3 AM. :)

Karenn
06-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Lots of people have had success with The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantly. Good luck- I know how awful it is to be sleep deprived.

dules
06-02-2005, 07:52 PM
We liked the book above (No Cry Sleep Solution) and also Good Night, Sleep Tight. Check out the Sleep Lady's website too (http://www.sleeplady.com/) - she even does consultations (conference calls) if things get really bad.

As it turns out, we didn't need a conference call (but thought about it!). We did read both of these books, discuss what made sense to us and what didn't based on our parenting style and our DD's personality, and then created our own "method" that has worked well for us.

We also didn't get her on any semblance of a schedule until she was 13-14 months old. So have hope, it will get better and you will get some sleep soon!

Best,
Mary