PDA

View Full Version : Climbing is out of control... will learning tower help???

linsei
06-02-2005, 08:34 AM
I've read such great things here about LT. My 13 mo ds is climbing on everything - stove, dishwasher, kitchen table, highchair, etc. I think he does it because he wants to see what is going on above his head. My hope is that he can stand there and see what is going on at a safe distance, that may discourage things like climbing up the stove! Any experiences? Thanks!

Linda

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040428/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

mommyj_2
06-02-2005, 02:05 PM
You could always get one and see :) That was the case with my DS. He loves standing in his Learning Tower, and he keeps busy doing projects at the counter like washing dishes (i.e. putting water in a cup and dumping it out), pouring beans from one container to another, spreading peanut butter onto bread (it takes about 15 minutes to do one slice), etc. I think the main thing is giving them projects that make them feel independent, and which are similar to the tasks you're doing, so they feel included.
I think it depends partly on your DC and partly on how you use the tower with them. Our friend's DD pushes it around the kitchen and climbs in and out of it a bunch of times. I don't think they give her projects to do in it, so she pushes it around to seek out her own. But, maybe she would do the same thing even without the projects.
If you get a LT, you could always tell yout DS he can climb the tower but nothing else, and then reward him for only climbing the tower by giving him fun activities he can only do on the LT.

HTH

linsei
06-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks MommyJ,

Do you think he is old enough for a LT? I can't imagine him doing "projects" yet. He is 100% boy, IYKWIM, and I can't see him doing anything as structured as "washing dishes" or making PB&J. He would end up with PB in his hair, ears, toes, who knows where else and none on the bread.

I always figured we would get one, but didn't think that it would be soon!

Linda

betsydenny
06-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Oh I remember that stage. I loved the crawling and got a kick out of the walking but it was the climbing that totally got to me! All of a sudden she was banging on my computer or sitting on the island in our kitchen. UGH.
Well the good news is that while she still climbs, it is less destructive now (she is 2.5- but it has been better for a while).
We have a very solid and big stool- about 20inches high and 18inches square on the top and she is allowed to drag that to wherever I am working (stove not included as we have one that gets very hot even on the outside) I do try to get her involved but that wasnt so successful at the beginning.
She does love playing in the sink and I am ok with that so I run a little water and give her some tupperware and just put a towel on the floor.
Mostly at that stage, I tried to get her out of the house to the playground as much as possible and tried to direct the climing engery into things that were designed for that purpose. And I am glad because now I have a very independent and coordinated climber who can safely scale most of what she meets on the playground both getting up- and down (which I consider equally impt if not more)

Anywya, the moral is hang in there. Do try a stool or tower for him to stand on, hopefully that will help.
Good luck!
Betsy

linsei
06-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Thanks Betsy,

We haven't had much luck at parks or playgrounds. Strange enough, he seems intimidated. He doesn't really like grass at the park or rubbery mulch stuff at the PG. Totally hates the swing there. He's a different child there, completely introverted and clings to my leg. Now at home is another story. Maybe one day, he will get that he's supposed to climb at the park and be calm at home!

I'll try the stool and see if that helps.

Linda