PDA

View Full Version : ISO Closet organization for toddler

jamsmu
06-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Anyone know of a good closet organizer for a toddler's room? The only one I've found so far is by Baby Koala. http://tinyurl.com/b3uyn Not sure its what I'm looking for.

dules
06-08-2005, 07:42 PM
It's a bit of an investment but check out ELFA from the Container Store (www.containerstore.com). You can adjust the sections as s/he grows, making things higher, bigger, adding or removing things, etc. Check out their sample kids' room closets for ideas.

Best,
Mary

knaidel
06-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Mmm...I'm wondering how useful that would be in the long run. If you have the cash, then I'd probably invest in something with a bit more longevity.
In December, I paid over $300 for two Elfa drawer sets. REally freaking expensive!!! The next day I saw something similar in the Ikea catalog for about a third of the price. Moral of the story: check Ikea first (online if you don't have one nearby) before the Container Store. Also, a lot of stores like Lowes and Home Depot sell the Closet Maid or similar system. Much cheaper. My parents did that in their apartment. I think all in all, they paid under $50 per closet (depending on the configuation) and then a handyman to install it.
Also, I just saw an ad in Real Simple magazine about California Closets new line...at Tarjay! I noticed that the prices didn't seem outrageous- they were reasonable.
Can you give us a better idea of what you're looking for? What's the size of the closet? In our room, we have two closets, but in my DSs room, there is just one large closet with sliding doors.
I know that a lot of mamas on this board gave me a ton of ideas when I was specific, so I'm sure everyone can help you too!

Globetrotter
06-10-2005, 01:25 AM
I used the Organized Living system, purchased during a 20% off promo. It's expensive, but it'll last forever because you can reconfigure them to fit your needs, to some extent. They are also very sturdy.

I have a plastic organizer in ds's closet. I can't remember the name, but there are crates on either side, with a couple of plastic drawers to fit into the crates. Rest are shelves. I bought it at Bed, bath and beyond. There is also a "rod" that goes between the two stacks of crates, though I found it fairly flimsy. The system comes in a box.. I actually added a wire basket set to this setup (from OL) and a few smaller three drawer plastic chests for socks and hats, etc....

It's a lot cheaper than the OL system, so something to consider if you don't want to spend a lot. It's sized well for kid's clothes.

ETA: The plastic organizer is from YAFFA.
Kris

zuzu
06-10-2005, 08:28 AM
I'd also recommend an Elfa-type system so you can adjust shelves and baskets (or whatever you use) as your needs change. Luckily, Sarah's closet was set up with somthing like the Elfa stuff, though nothing is adjustable. It really helps keep things organized and saves space. We recently put in some of this type of shelving from Home Depot in a closet downstairs, and because we installed it ourselves (which wasn't as hard as I expected) it was really inexpensive.

Rachel - Thanks for the Tarjay tip! We're interested in doing somthing with our guest room closet, so I'll check out that line.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

MelissaTC
06-12-2005, 03:30 PM
We recently did DS's closet with the white laminate system from closet maid. He has one large closet with 2 sets of double doors. We put in shelves, drawers, etc.. It was reasonable in cost and has made a world of difference for us...

jamsmu
06-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone. Its a smaller closet with sliding doors. Porbalby about 5 feet wide or so. Currently we have one Elfa-like rod/shelf across the top--not too helpful for a toddler. For the baby's room, my dad and DH built a beautiful set that I designed the format for using the Elfa-ish shelves and rods from Home Depot. I think we're going to go that route again--though it got pricey last time.

I miss Container Store. Did all my college shopping there for organizing!!