PDA

View Full Version : portable baby bathtub

Hippoharbor
06-13-2005, 07:19 PM
I am travelling FOR THE FIRST TIME with my 4 mth old in 1 1/2 wks. I am concerned about preserving his bedtime routine while away from home. This routine begins with a bath. I use a "infant to toddler" tub at home, which would be too much to lug on the plane (along with PNP, car seat, stroller, toys, kitchen sink, etc.). So, I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas for what I should use on this trip for bathtime. I briefly looked at BRU, hoping to find an inflatable baby tub that would be easy to take along, but did not see anything.

Please offer your suggestions. I am VERY nervous about my first trip away from home with baby...esp. worried about DS not sleeping well.

TIA
michelle

DebbieJ
06-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Instead of buying and bringing yet another piece of gear, why don't you get in the big tub with him?

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

bchafin
06-14-2005, 07:52 AM
We travelled with the Safety 1st folding tub. I've read reviews where feet have gotten caught and the tub leaking, but we never had any problems. We used this tub until DS could sit up on his own. Good luck. We took our first trip when DS was 4 months also. He is now 14 months and it is definitly getting easier to travel.

Here is a link to the tub.
http://www.safety1st.com/product.asp?productID=94

Barb

aim
06-14-2005, 08:39 AM
If you feel you must have a tub - rather than just getting in with him, I can recommend the Munchkin inflatable duck tub - I got it at target - less than $10 I think. It is awesome. It inflates pretty easily and my DS still loves to take baths in it at 17 months and I can't imagine that changing any time soon.

Amy
DS Bennett 1-14-04

Hippoharbor
06-14-2005, 08:40 AM
Thank you for your posts. I will have to take a look at the folding tub.
Unfortunately, I am a bit of a nut when it comes to cleanliness therefore, I do not feel comfortable bathing in someone else's bathtub (MIL has ~5 people that use that tub daily for showers/bath and I would not want me or DS to sit in their grime). I wish I could get over this, but I can't. Oh, well.

smilequeen
06-14-2005, 08:48 AM
I don't know how often you go to visit, but we just bought a tub to leave at my parents' house. We only live 3 hours away though (they actually live in St. Louis :)) so we are there every other month or so. We bought the infant to toddler tub so we would get some decent use out of it.

Otherwise, I was planning to buy the inflatable tub for vacations.

casey118
06-14-2005, 02:43 PM
If you can get over your cleanliness issue (maybe use some clorox wipes to wipe down the tub first?), when travelling I have bathed my babies in the tub with a hand towel underneath them so they don't slip. I just put down the towel, then fill the tub to maybe 3 inches or so and lay my baby down on the towel. The baby won't slip around and you can bathe him pretty much like if he was in a baby tub. It really helps to cut down on the amount of stuff you have to take on the plane! And if it makes you feel better, both of my sons were really easy to travel with at that age. Much better than I would have expected. Good luck!

ETA: I wouldn't bath with my baby if I was alone because it is really hard to get out of the tub while holding a slippery little naked guy!

hellosmiletoday
06-14-2005, 09:02 PM
When DD was able to sit up, the grandparents each purchased a plastic tub (such as an underthe bed box, a rubbermade square cleaning tub, etc). Cheap solution -- no need to travel with tub.

charleneand2
06-14-2005, 09:13 PM
I just did the grandma trip and we used an inflatable tub from www.Kidsurplus.com It was about $11 and was awesome. It just looks like a tiny tub and folds really small when not blown up. It was fun for the boys (10m twins) and I didn't have to worry about them falling back and hitting their head on a hard tub. They even like to play in it while not bathing. I highly recommend it.
Good luck,
Chalene

Sillygirl
06-14-2005, 09:36 PM
I just bought an inflatable tub at BRU, it was their house brand "Especially for Baby." I know their cutomer service generally is nonexistent but if you don't see it there you may want to ask. They definitely have it.

jillmk
06-15-2005, 05:58 AM
We used the inflatable duck tub by Munchkin from Target. I've also seen an inflatable Blues Clues tub there. (In the baby aisles.) Although I have not seen it there I've heard they are at Target as well. These tubs worked great for us!

lynettefrancois
06-15-2005, 05:03 PM
I would not want me or DS to sit in
>their grime). I wish I could get over this, but I can't. Oh,
>well.

Gross! I wouldn't be able to get over it either. For travelling in hotels, we just took DD into the shower with us. Elsewhere, we used the blow up tubs (actually, I used this at home until I got my Eurotub). At my mom's, we bathed her in a laundry basket in the kitchen sink with towels for padding. No bending! HTH!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/27405.jpg