PDA

View Full Version : Pack n Play advice

MEEandBaby2B
06-15-2005, 12:19 PM
What Pack n Play would you recommend? I was thinking of one of the Graco ones, but there are so many different models. We would be using it during playtime, possibly naps, and also for travel (we visit my parents alot 4 1/2 hrs away). I guess there may also be times when we may take it out to the deck, so maybe one with a canopy would be useful. I'm not really sure what features we will need. We have a basinette and a crib, though, so we won't need it as a full-time sleeping area. Thanks!

SummerBaby
06-15-2005, 12:51 PM
I have a Graco that I bought at Target last year. It came with the changing table and full size bassinet attachments and it was under $100. I LOVED it during the first few months- I used it downstairs for naps and diaper changes so I didn't have to go up and downstairs. For me, the full size bassinet was the most important option- my baby is long and she never would have fit comfortably in the 3/4 bassinet. The changing table also was very handy. We haven't really used it as a playpen, but we do use it to travel and it's very easy to set up and take down. A canopy would be nice if you plan to use it outside, but if you find one you like that doesn't come with the canopy, I think you can buy them separately at BRU. HTH....

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

MEEandBaby2B
06-17-2005, 07:09 AM
Thanks. I'll have to check out those at Target.

The aftermarket full Graco canopy attachment got some bad reviews since it can lift up the pack n' play and knock it over, if there is any wind. Has anyone had any experience with those?

Anyone else what to rave or complain about their pack n' play?

ribbit1019
06-17-2005, 10:42 AM
I have three play pens. Two Graco one Carter's. The Carters one matched our theme and we had it at my parents for occasional use and then moved it recently to my mil's for 4 x week daily use for DD. Having recently moved the thing, it was a pain the butt to set up/break down, o.k. for wrapping the mattress and securing with velcro and packing in the bag, it weighs a TON and I wouldn't buy it. It was a gift and I like the features that it came with lights, music, vibration, mobile, ½ bassinet w/ attached changing table.

Our reg sized Pack n Play from Graco came with all the same features except vibration, DD did not miss the vibration feature. We used it exclusively as a downstairs changing table/lay baby down for a second bassinet for the first 4 months of DD's life and only used it as a play pen a few times before it got peed on this past weekend. It was a breeze to put up and break down. Not such a breeze to wrap the mattress around the frame and secure it with the velcro and pack into the bag. And the bag has no handles (very stupid design) so I am glad we don't have to move it around outside of the house. It was nice to have it when she was young since we have a two story house.

Graco's travel crib Pack N Play is very nice, it is about ½ the size of a normal play pen, still a pain to wrap mattress and secure with velcro, o.k. for packing and very nice to carry around. (9-10 lbs I think?) Small compact, this was at MIL's until about 2 weeks ago when DD has become noticeably too big for it. It came with a basinet which DD slept in for the first three months of her life in our bedroom and a canopy with hanging bears that she hated.

I don't have the canopy you are speaking of, but we have never used the pack n play outside either. DD just sits on a blanket outside.

Synopsis: Graco is better but a pain to wrap and makes sure you get a bag with handles.

HTH!

Christy
Maddy aka "Little Miss Squirmy Monster"

How old is Maddy? "UN! AAAYYYY!" ClapClapClap

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

twodogs
06-17-2005, 06:38 PM
We just got the Combi travel play yard. I am due in 2 weeks, so I can't tell you about real experience, but I can tell you about the product. We got it specifically because the bassinet has it's own stand and can be used separately from the main play yard/changing station. So, we can have the bassinet in our room upstairs, and use the play yard/changing station downstairs. The bassinet can also attach to the play yard. One poster did say that they thought the bassinet was small, compared to the full sized bassinet level on many PNP. The bassinet mattress is 14.5" x 25," so it is not huge (but not much smaller than regular bassinets, judging by the size or regular bassinet sheets). For us, we are anticipating a small baby and only using the bassinet for a short period of time, so not a big deal.

It is slightly smaller than the PNP on the main level (mattress is 24" x 36"). It is easy to pack up and store, and it has two wheels that can be used to pull it like a piece of luggage when it is folded (even in the carrying case). I'll have to let you know how it works in real life in a few weeks!

Here is the link to the pictures of it. It doesn't show the changing station (very similar to PNP) or the fact that the bassinet (with or without canopy) can be perched on top of the rails of the play yard, next to the changing station. Also has sounds, music and vibration.

www.babystyle.com/common/dProductDetail.aspSIND=1&PMId=15834&cmCL=srch-combi

SummerBaby
06-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Wow, Christy, this is a real "eureka" moment for me! I never was able to figure out how to fold and pack the mattress. I just folded mine accordion style and put it in the bag next to the frame. I never understood the velcro thing. However, I did figure out the "no handle" thing. On my model, there's a handle on the back of the mattress, and you can pack the mattress so the handle sticks out of a little hole in the bag.

I'm off to repack mine properly! :)

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

MEEandBaby2B
06-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks for all the advice. It's good to know that there really are handles to carry the Graco Pack n' Plays. Anyone have any recommendations on specific models of the Graco Pack n' Plays, please? I really need help on this, since there are so many with varying features and prices. She'll be sleeping in it during trips to the grandparents and at home it will be mostly to play in and ocassional naps.

heidi_timms
06-19-2005, 04:00 PM
We have a Graco and it is the "French Bear" pattern. It was a gift and around $130 at BRU. It has the bassinettes, changing table, mobile and canopy. We have used it a ton and I have used everything except for the mobile and canopy. We thought we would use it outside a bunch and never did. It has a bag and carrying handle, but is quite heavy, just a warning. We have been very happy with it though..

BTW: get the Kushies flannel sheets, NOT the matching Graco ones. They are scratchy and yucky!

betsydenny
06-19-2005, 07:16 PM
One thing I discovered is that the older Graco models- at least 6-7 year old ones are 1/3 BIGGER than the new models. This is great especially now that my DD is 2.5 and at the 30lb limit of the new ones but still likes (needs)to be penned in at night (she loves her crib and pack and play we use on vacation.) YOu prob dont want an older model, but for those looking, I found it on craigslist. The one I have and another I have seen are all on the bright pink/purple/green color theme.

ALSO, for those whose kids have a hard time on the pnp mattresses they sell thin, less noisy and comfy mattresses at some baby stores. I found mine here at Albees in NYC and it has made all the difference for my DS's naps and travelling. It is about 1.5 inches thick so not likly going to help him climb out and fits snugly in so safe and he sleeps MUCH better on it.

HTH!
Betsy
Oh, and for those looking at new ones, we were very glad to have the FULL sized bassinet as my babies were long. Would skp the 3/4 length one.

ribbit1019
06-20-2005, 10:08 AM
lol Val!
I am going to check my mattress and se if it has a handle...hmm. Might be a eureka moment for me too. :D

Christy
Maddy aka "Little Miss Squirmy Monster"

How old is Maddy? "UN! AAAYYYY!" ClapClapClap

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

dules
06-20-2005, 08:04 PM
I have this same PNP! It was my sister's, and her kids are 11, 9 and 7. It's pink, green and purple (yech) but it was free, it's a breeze to set up and take down, and DD sleeps well in it when we travel. We don't use it for a playpen and I just put her on the mattress all the way down for sleeping when she was an infant (extra bed in the downstairs living room).

She is now 18 months, 32 inches and 24-ish lbs and can sleep comfortably in it still.

I am LOL because I was almost embarrassed to say I had this one and like it - glad to know I am not the only one! (smiles)

Best,
Mary