PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Genie Vs. Diaper Champ?...or Favorite Diaper Pail for Disposables

randomkid
06-18-2005, 11:00 AM
I have the Diaper Champ and have been very happy with it. I have used a Diaper Genie at friends' homes, but have never had the pleasure of emptying one. I have a friend who is pregnant and will be looking for a lot of advice on baby needs. I am going to get her a copy of the BB book and tell her about the BBB, but I'm sure she will still want help in narrowing things down.

Anyone that has used both and which did you prefer? Or is there another pail that you liked even better?

Thanks,

emmiem
06-18-2005, 03:05 PM
I don't like either one. I had both at one time or another and threw them away. Too much bother and too costly of refills. They don't really take away the smell anyway. Instead, I buy sassy bags at walmart. Tons cheaper and put the dirty diapers in a sassy bag in a old smaller trash can with a swing cover sitting in the garage. When garbage day comes, I empty that can along with the others and spray some lysol or odor neutralizer in it.
Michele

8isenough
06-18-2005, 03:53 PM
I could never get around the cost on those refills. I have always used just a regular trash can with swivel top and scented trash bags. I also keep a box of arm and hammer in the bottom for additional odor control. I change the diaper pail bag out every day anyway, and at that rate we would have gone broke on refills. I never really noticed any lingering odors either. I cloth diapered some of the kids, so that too may have helped with costs. I guess what I am trying to say is, make a determination on ease of use of the can and it's refills, and how much over the life of a child (ren) in diapers, each system will cost them.

Sterling

hapahaolegirl
06-18-2005, 06:00 PM
We have the Diaper Champ and love it! DD is almost 10 months old and we haven't had an odor issue yet. We change the bag when it's full, maybe once or twice a week. I love that we can just use regular trash bags.

HTH

Kristen

ellies mom
06-18-2005, 06:12 PM
We've had both. I stopped using the Diaper Genie and replaced it with the Diaper Champ. The Diaper Genie is a pain to empty and I had a hard time using it one handed. Not to mention the cost of the refills. The Champ is really easy to use, even for my husband. He'd get frustrated with the Genie and just leave the diapers on the changing table for me to deal with. :( I also like the champ because it can double as a trashcan.

HHCs Mom
06-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Love the Diaper Champ! No odor problems and it takes regular kitchen bags or whatever bags you want to put in it. So easy to use, too! :)

Kim
~ mama to a chunky monkey named Harrison ~ 4.6.04

ohiomom
06-18-2005, 09:31 PM
We really like our Diaper Dekor. I keep a box of baking soda at the bottom. The refills last a long time (at least at our house). I'd buy it again.

Nicole's Mom 7/03
Joshua ^|^ 5/05

icunurse
06-18-2005, 10:43 PM
We have the Diaper Dekor and like it a lot. If DS has a particularly bad diaper, we may empty it early, but it can fit about a weeks worth of diapers and the refills have lasted a long time for us.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

eb1
06-19-2005, 10:42 AM
We didn't bother with either...I didn't like the look of them, for one thing, and knew that I'd rather take out the diaper trash daily. I use a small stainless steel trash can with a lid (hands-free operation: you step on a pedal and the lid opens), with plastic grocery store bags as liners. (There is a black permanent liner that can be removed for cleaning.) We've not had odor problems with this system.

betsydenny
06-19-2005, 01:33 PM
We LOVE our Safety First Neat! diaper pail. We dumped our Genie months ago as the smell of the liners mixed with poop was just unbearable in our small apartment. THis new one whihc was rated very highly in a Wall Street Journal article (how DH found it in the first place) has been fantastic!! We just love it! No smells! and that is with 2 eating solid foods and in diapers!

we have the Champ at Grandpa's house but it is stinky! fine for visits but not for daily use IMO.

So I would say go for the Neat! one!
Good luck
Betsy

TahliasMom
06-20-2005, 04:53 PM
We have the diaper dekor plus and been using it for the last 13 months. Refills are decently priced and last a long time and very little smell. Since DD started on solids around 6.5 months, I put a box of baking soda on the bottom and clean the diaper pail once a month and leave it in the sun for few hours. No issue with smell and it's easy to use and empty.