PDA

View Full Version : Toys to entertain 8 month old on long flight

Sweetpea972
06-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Hi everyone,

I'll be taking a 10 hour flight with DD in a few weeks and am trying to collect a few new toys and come up with ideas on how to entertain her on the flight. What has worked for your DC?

Thanks!!!

new_mommy25
06-19-2005, 02:30 PM
8 months. Yikes, that was hard :) My baby just wanted to get down and crawl. We had luck with board books. DS loved tearing apart Pat the Bunny. We also had this plush toy that played Take Me Out To the Ballgame when you pull the cord. DS got a kick out of that and I didn't care what everyone else thought. Also a photo album full of pictures is a big hit. Sassy make a chewable one or you can make your own by taking it to a copy shop and having the pics laminated. Also, snacks and a sippy full of water. At that age DS really just liked chewing on the spout of the sippy but it worked at distracting him! He also still liked Lamaze toys like Freddy the Firefly and played with him for awhile. Hopefully you will only need to do this for a little while and then your DD will fall fast asleep. Good luck!

californiagirl
06-20-2005, 11:42 AM
At 8 months, our big hits were food, ice in a baby-safe feeder, tearing apart the magazine (only allowed above 5,000 feet), Hop On Pop, the Manhattan Toys Sparkle Dragon (one paw squeaks, and squeaking is very important to her -- remember, almost any noise is preferable to a crying baby), and any game that made Mama look like a loon and feel somewhat dizzy -- carseat peekaboo, something my father invented that involved shaking your head from side to side while making a silly noise... Singing worked pretty well too. Actually, just thinking about it makes me feel slightly dizzy. An entire descent of alternately shaking your head and nodding will do that to you. But she did sleep a lot on planes at that age. 13 months was much harder.

WooChx
06-20-2005, 12:03 PM
We did well with oddly textured toys. Went to Walmart and bought a Koosh, some squish thing that feels like rubber worms, a plastic slinky - anything that was a new sensation. Also, a hand puppet and miniature spring water sports bottles. She would play with them and that try to figure out how to drink from them.

Sweetpea972
06-22-2005, 06:33 PM
You all gave me some new ones to think about. I really appreciate it.

writeleigh
06-23-2005, 12:01 PM
I second the photo album idea- DS loves the whoozit album and you can change the pictures several times to give her something new to look at.

Also, if she's the type to watch anything like Baby Einstein, some DVDs you can play on a laptop or small player.