PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a more "advanced" electronic toy

divabell
06-19-2005, 02:55 PM
DS loves pushing buttons and making things turn on and off. The TV, the stereo, fans and air conditioners, etc. He could do this all day. I've gotten him a few toys that have functional buttons (phone, camera, keys) and he likes them for a while but eventually gets bored. Has anyone seen something like a toddler laptop? It doesn't have to be a computer per se... just something with a lot of buttons that do things. I've been thinking about getting one of those computer keyboard things that goes over top of a regular computer, but I'd also like something he could play with when I actually need to use the computer myself. :) Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

August Mom
06-19-2005, 04:02 PM
I have no idea if these are any good, but here are toddler laptops:)

http://www.babyscholars.com/tolafrsmwoto.html
http://www.geniusbabies.com/babfirlapcom.html

I'm not sure whether your DS would like the Leapfrog Little Touch Leappad or My First Leappad or not. DS was so-so on the Little Touch. He really likes My First Leappad. The main difference is that Little Touch has the child use a finger to activate the various sounds, etc. and the My First Leappad uses a special attached pen or stylus. Also, Little Touch is mainly reading stories while My First Leappad is teaching concepts.

There is only 1 on/off button per se, but on each page you can touch the pictures and activate sayings, rhymes, games or sounds.

divabell
06-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the links! Those look interesting. I'll look into them.

I appreciate the Leapfrog feedback. I was looking at the Little Touch at TRU the other night. I had it in my hands then put it back because I just wasn't sure. I wish I could try it out somewhere and see if DS likes it before I spend $30+ on it. It seems like he could be so-so on that as well. Hmm. Must think about this some more.

HannaAddict
06-20-2005, 03:21 PM
We've been on the same hunt. My son loves, loves buttons and desperately wants our laptop. I haven't seen it in person, but there is a Learning Laptop by Vtech we saw on toysrus.com. Less like a "toy" and for older kids, but we want to get something that looks as "real" as possible. Also, when searched online, JC Penney had a My First Laptop that looked like it might work for $19.99. If you check any of these out in person, or find something great, let me know! If I see anything that looks good, I'll post again.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

neeter
08-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Hi - just wanted to see if you decided on anything. DS is the exact same way and I was going to ask for suggestions! Thanks!!

neeter
08-29-2005, 09:47 AM
sorry double post

R2sweetboys
08-29-2005, 12:32 PM
The one problem I had with the Little Touch was that the power button is on the front and very accessible. I know it's there for ease of use for little ones but since your son likes pressing buttons(like my little guy), he may turn it off a lot and get frustrated. Just my $.02!
~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

neeter
08-30-2005, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the info on Little Touch. Well this is what I chose for DS:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008X35Q/qid=1125405922/sr=1-17/ref=sr_1_17/103-8296833-0807028?v=glance&s=imaginarium

Even though its rated for ages 3-5, the reviewers say their 2 year olds use it. And while DS is pressing the buttons, maybe he'll learn a little something.

Also, FYI Walmart carries a version of the "Toddler Laptop". It was about $10.

megulis
08-31-2005, 12:16 AM
I think you made a wise decision. I have a different version of a similar product, and my son has used his since he was about 6 months old. I put it some place less accessible for a bit since it was starting to irritate me, but after I took it out again he played with it again. He enjoys the music part of it a lot.

I like the learning journey stuff, but I haven't seen it in person so don't feel comfortable buying it online.

http://tlji.com/main.htm

HTH!