PDA

View Full Version : Starting Thomas- what do you think

writeleigh
06-23-2005, 01:28 PM
I have been doing research for Liam's second Birthday gift, which is going to be a Thomas train set. I have it kind of narrowed down to some starter items.

1. Train table- probably Nilo, comes with a mat (to look like land/grass)

2. Thomas starter set (either one of the figure 8 ones, or another)

3. 1 expansion set

I figured this would be a good start that we can add on to over time. What do you think? I'm brand new to this, so am open to any and all advice :)

LBW
06-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Sounds like a great plan. We have the Nilo table and lots of track & trains. After more than a year, they're still DS's favorite toys.

You might want to add a few extra trains, depending on what the set comes with. Thomas, Percy, Gordon, Henry, and Toby are a good starting line up!

writeleigh
06-23-2005, 07:50 PM
That's a good idea - thanks for the help :)

zen_bliss
06-23-2005, 08:05 PM
that sounds like a great start!

if i remember correctly, www.totallythomas.com sells a set of 5 trains for $40, which isn't bad since they're usually about $10 each. you could also go to deepdiscountdvd.com and order some of the thomas DVDs that come with trains. they're under $10 each if you use code USATODAY for 20% off... it's a one time code. the shipping is free.

you could give a longshot try calling any toys r us near you to see if they still have any of the $40 clearance train tables left. they were clearanced in early may. someone on my freecycle just asked for one and i sent them the info, and they did get one last week! call each store directly to track one down... i had one store do a systemwide computer search and said none left in the whole region, but then i called another local store directly and they had 5 in the back! they were not on the floor, i guess they'd rather sell the $100 version or the $200 thomas table.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006IKAR/ref%3Dnosim/michiemushing-20/102-0223030-1723329

The brand is Imaginarium (but it is made by Kidkraft)
Train Table and Bins
SKN 637737
Item 17875
UPC code 7 0694317875 1

samiam
06-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Sounds like a great plan to me. My ds will be 2 in August and I was thinking of doing exactly as you are - figure 8 set, some type of table and either an expansion set or some extra trains.

writeleigh
06-24-2005, 06:47 AM
Thanks- I am glad I'm on the right track (no pun intended!) . . . It's kind of hard to figure out where to start with all the train stuff available, but I kind of searched through old posts and consolidated the tips given :)

samiam
06-24-2005, 07:09 AM
I did the same thing Leigh. Sounds like we'll be getting off easy with these birthdays. It's going to get plenty expensive as they get older - yikes!