PDA

View Full Version : How do you wash your playsilks???

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-26-2005, 08:03 PM
The boys love them!!! and I need to wash them...

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

holliam
06-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Neve, I handwash mine but I'm not sure why. I think it's because when we made them I handwashed them to make sure colors weren't bleeding, etc. so I just keep doing it. I just wash them with a little gentle soap, and then we iron them. It's the only thing in this house we iron but they dry right away and they are so nice and flowing afterwards.

Thinking aloud now, why is it that silk clothing is hand washable? Is it too fragile or likely to shrink? If it's just the latter then maybe I should just start tossing these things in the washer now that the colors are set.

Holli

mykidzmom
06-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Could you tell me where I could buy these? I have a 2.5 yr.old, and a 2 yr. old, and I know they would LOVE these! They are all the time taking my older kids bandanas and playing with them...they just aren't big enough.

Thanks in advance! :)

stillplayswithbarbies
06-26-2005, 09:04 PM
if you wash and dry them in the washer and dryer, they will shrink. If you don't mind them being smaller, go for it.

When I dyed mine, I washed them in the washer on the "hand wash" cycle, which agitates just a small amount every so often. I hung them to dry.

I don't iron mine, but I don't mind the wrinkles.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

momtoemma
06-26-2005, 09:09 PM
You can get them from another BBB mama (Juliet). Her website is www.bumbershootbaby.com and we love ours!

pritchettzoo
06-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Definitely www.bumbershootbaby.com :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-26-2005, 09:23 PM
Just wanted to make sure I could get them wet!!!!
Doggy drool and all has taken over on them!!!

Juliet I must send you a picture of the boys in them...Tristan insists on hogging all of them and drapes all of them around and begs me to tie them as he runs around saying "skiskew to the rescew"
I think that this spiderman/superman to the rescue!!!

They LOVE them...

Neve

cinrein
06-27-2005, 07:00 AM
Another plug for bumbershoot--we love ours!!

Neve, "siskew to the rescew" is soo cute. You must write it down so you never forget. Anna has some awfully cute pronunciations too--they just melt my heart everytime I hear them. Sadly, they are short lived as she is quickly learning to pronounce things correctly. Not that I want her to talk her "baby talk" forever, but some of it is so darn cute. Current fave is her singing A Tisket A Tasket (a green and yeyo basket......on the way he fropped it. He fropped it, he fropped it--LOL!)

Cindy and Anna February 2003

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-27-2005, 08:06 AM
Anna sounds adorable...don't you love their little voices????

I am glad that your remind me to write it down, for they do go so fast...I especially see it in the Reichen and Karsh!!!!

Neve

papal
06-27-2005, 08:40 AM
I throw mine in the washer and dryer along with other clothes (darks not whites). I am too lazy to handwash! :D
Another vote for Bumbershoot.. we have 5 or 6 playsilks and they are leela's favourite 'toy'!

mykidzmom
06-28-2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks a bunch! I will order some today. I just know Alex and Sara will have so much fun w/ them! :)

mykidzmom
06-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the second recommendation! Sounds like this is the place to purchase from. Thanks again! :)

mykidzmom
06-28-2005, 09:02 AM
I went to the website suggested, and didn't realize there would be different sizes. I am so bad at making decisions! What size would should I get? Or should I buy different sizes?

Thanks again for your help!

Neve, sorry to take over your post! :)

murpheyblue
06-28-2005, 10:52 AM
We got the rainbow set in the 36" size for DD (21 months) and they are perfect for her. She loves to hide under them and make the dogs disappear by hiding them or covering her dolls with a blanket.

nitaghei
06-28-2005, 11:07 AM
The 36 would probably be better. My DS is just about 2 and a half, and I made his playsilks myself - 36" and 45". The 45 is just a little too big; he ends up tripping sometimes. He has a easier time handling the 36". But it's fun to have different sizes - I have a couple of rectangular ones that I still need to dye.

Nita (fleece is my friend)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

mykidzmom
06-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Thank you! :)

mykidzmom
06-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Thank you! :) Wish I were talented enough to make my own.

holliam
06-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Renee, it's not hard to make some pastel-shaded ones. You just buy blank silk scarves (pretty cheap) and use koolaid for dyeing.

The Bumpershoot colors are much more vibrant/professional but if you want to get some other sizes and have a fun activity for your kids, it's loads of fun!

Holli

nitaghei
06-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Like Holli said, Koolaid dyeing is pretty easy. I posted directions here a while back (if you do a search) - or just Google it, and you'll find a bunch of sites with directions. I just made a really pretty one (even if I say so myself) with orange Koolaid - it looked like a sunset. It was a gift and I was sooooo tempted to keep it.

But, I also ordered a red playsilk from Juliet at Bumbershootbaby, because that's a color that's hard to do with Koolaid.

Nita (fleece is my friend)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

mykidzmom
06-28-2005, 09:36 PM
Thanks Holli and Nita! I'm not very crafty, but I think I may be able to make these. I'll look up your directions Nita.

Thanks again!...Renee

ellies mom
06-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Do you watch the Backyardigans? He might be saying "Ski patrol to the rescue". The have an episode where the girls say it over and over.