PDA

View Full Version : Re: Baby Signs

randomkid
06-27-2005, 08:25 PM
I just read another post here asking about Signing Times vs. Baby Signs. Are you referring to the Baby Signs class offered by Gymboree? I took ASL in college and prefer to use that. I was planning to take DD to Gymboree because we just like going there, but I don't want her to learn made up signs. Could I still go and use ASL signs anyway or would I look stupid, and confuse her, showing her signs that are different from everyone else?

murpheyblue
06-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Baby Signs is a concept created by Linda Acredolo. From what I understand Gymboree's new signing classes will teach Baby Signs, not ASL. Honestly, I think if you're familiar with ASL you've got a huge headstart in signing with your child and don't need a class. I bet most families that sign never take a class.

ellies mom
06-27-2005, 11:47 PM
We aren't taking a class. I also want to just teach ASL signs. I good option is to watch the Signing Times videos. They are kind of spendy to buy but we borrowed one from the library and I'm thinking about getting them off E-bay. There is also the sign2me stuff that is ASL based.

http://www.sign2me.com/

kali
06-28-2005, 12:34 AM
We like the Signing Times videos a lot. They were created by the mother of a hearing-impaired child and her sister, who made sure her son learned ASL so he could communicate with his cousin (did that make any sense?). My son loves watching them and an added bonus is that the music and companion CDs are really fun. At 11 months, he understands the signs for milk, water, food, and ball; and can sign milk and ball.

That said, however, I was advised by an ASL interpreter that it's fine to make up your own signs, as long as you and your child understand each other; and that most babies gradually use less and less sign language as they develop speech. Unless you're really going to stick with teaching your DC a second language (ASL) it doesn't really matter what signs they use. Also, many of the signs will still be based on ASL.

So, if you love it at Gymboree, I wouldn't stress too much that they don't use standard ASL.

I hope this helps!

AngelaS
06-28-2005, 06:46 AM
I was referring to Baby Signs the book. If you already know ASL signs you don't need a book or a class. I only ever read ONE book and my girls were very proficent signers. :D

holliam
06-28-2005, 09:00 AM
The original intention of Baby Signs was to encourage your baby to spontaneously create his/her own signs.

Baby Signs was developed out of impressive research from respected child psychologists. I studied Acredelo's work in college and grad school and was actually surprised to learn how mainstream it had become. It was quite innovative when her results first were published.

I think for easy marketing/publishing that original intent has been lost somewhat but a lot of the signs are still ASL.

I'm sending SAHD hubby and girly to a Baby Signs class because I think it will help him get more practice and her to see other kids doing it.

At home, we try to read cues from her own signs (she shakes her head for "song" and kind of flips her hand in the air (as if turning pages) for "book") and add in ASL. I took several semesters of ASL in college so I've pulled out all of my old books.

We are not using videos at all; we are tv/video free with her.

Holli

Eloise36
06-29-2005, 02:38 AM
I think you already have a huge headstart in teaching DD to sign as you know ASL. I'm a Baby Signs Instructor and can tell you that most of the Baby Signs are ASL, but where there is a difference, I model BOTH for the parents in my Sign, Say & Play(tm) classes and leave it up to the parents to choose which one they want to use, so no it wouldn't look odd for you at all to use ASL signs in class with your DD. FWIW, I found that many parents in my classes already sign with their babies, but want the interaction with other signing families. Plus, it is a fun class :)